Catherine (St.) Colman - Catt Alley

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Catherine (St.) Colman - Catt Alley', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63067 Date accessed: 18 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Catherine (St.) Colman

See Katherine (St.) Colman.

Catherine (St.) Cree

See Katherine (St.) Cree.

Catherine Alley

Out of Bishopsgate Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Catherine Court

South out of Throgmorton Street. In Coleman Street Ward (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 131).

Removed for the erection of the Bank of England, completed 1734.

Spelt "Katherine Court" in Strype.

Catherine Court

East out of Seething Lane, at No. 34 (P.O. Directory). In Tower Ward.

First mention : "Katherine Court" (P.C. 1732).

Erected 1725.

Former name : "Green Arbor Court" (O. and M. 1677-Strye, 1720).

Seems to have been rebuilt about 1732 (Maskell, All Hallows Barking, p. 184, quoting Seymour's Survey).

Derivation of name : It is supposed to occupy the site of an ancient palace of Q. Katherine of Valois, wife of Henry V. (ib.). No authority given for the statement.

Dr. Norman, when showing some views of the Court at a meeting of the Committee for the Survey of the Memorials of Greater London, 4th Dec., 1913, said the Court was being demolished to make way for offices for the Port of London authority, which are now in course of erection. He said the Court was named after Catherine I. of Russia, d. 1727, and that it occupied part of the site of Crutched Friars monastery.

Catherine Wheel (The)

A house so called in the parish of St. Michael Crooked Lane, demised 28 Eliz. for the use of the parish, subject to the payment of 40/- out of the rent to Christ's Hospital (End. Ch. Rep. 1903, p. 5).

Identified as 24 Miles Lane, sold to the City in 1832 (ib. 9).

Shown on the east side of the lane in Horwood, 1799, and removed for the formation of King William Street.

Catherine Wheel Alley

East out of Bishopsgate at No. 192, extending east to Middlesex Street (P.O. Directory). In Bishopsgate Ward Without.

Messuages in Catherine Wheel Alley given in 1637 for the poor of the parish of St. Botolph without Bishopsgate (End. Ch. 1901, p. 3).

Near Widegate Street, a passage to Pettycoat lane (Hatton, 1708).

"Cat and Wheel Alley," in W. Stow, 1722.

Sometimes spelt Katherine Wheel Alley.

Named from the Catherine Wheel Inn (q.v.).

Catherine Wheel Alley, Bishopsgate

See George and Catherine Wheel Alley.

Catherine Wheel Alley, Snow Hill

See Catherine Wheel Court.

Catherine Wheel Alley, Thames Street

See Katherine Well Alley.

Catherine Wheel and George Yard

See George and Catherine Wheel Alley.

Catherine Wheel Court

South out of Snow Hill, in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799).

Former names : "Catherine Wheel Alley" (Strype,1720-Rocque,1746). "Katherine Wheel Alley" (O. and M. 1677). "Cat and Wheel Alley" (W. Stow, 1722).

Named after a tenement called the "Katherine Whele" at Holborn Conduit, mentioned 1580 and 1617 (Ct. H.W. II. 702 and 741).

The site has been rebuilt for the formation of Holborn Viaduct, etc.

Catherine Wheel Inn

On the east side of Bishopsgate, south of Catherine Wheel Alley. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-O.S.).

Here is Catherine Wheel Inn, and near is Catherine Wheel and George Yard (Hatton, 1708).

It was the last of the old galleried inns in Bishopsgate, and was partly destroyed by fire in 1895. Lately pulled down (N. and Q. 11th S. III. p. 142, Jan. 1911).

It has been suggested that the name was derived from the arms of the Turners' Company, prior to 1604, which were : Azure, a Catherine Wheel between 2 columns, or, in chief a regal crown proper, in base an axe argent, handled of the second lying fetteways, the blade downwards.

Catherine Wheel Yard

South out of London Wall, east of Basinghall Street (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799). In Cripplegate Ward Within.

Named after the Katherine Wheel Inn there, shown in Strype, 1720-55.

Site now covered by offices and business houses.

Catherine Wheel Yard

On the north side of Rosemary Lane, and west of Little Tower Hill (Hatton, 1708).

Not named in the maps.

Catherine Wheel Yard

North out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).

First mention : "Katherine Wheel Yard" (O. and M. 1677).

On the north side of the sheep pens (Hatton, 1708).

Named after the inn there.

The site is now covered by Smithfield Market.

Catherine's (St.)

See Katherine's (St.).

Catling Street

See Cateaton Street.

Cat's Hole

East out of Little Tower Hill to St. Katherine's New Court (Horwood, 1799, and Lockie, 1816).

Earliest mention : In 1672 houses in "Cats Hole" and St. Katherine's Court were blown up to prevent a fire at Iron Gate Stairs spreading to and endangering the Tower (Letters and Papers, Chas. II. Dom. Ser. Vol. XIII. p. 81).

It is shown in the Survey of St. Katherine's, 1686, Sloane MS. Br. Mus., as a narrow court.

Described in Lockie's Topography, 1810, as "Catshole" Court.

Called "Cats Hole" or "new court" in P.C. 1732.

Removed in 1827 for the formation of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouses.

"Hole" may possibly be used in the sense of "alley." See Hole (le).

Catt Alley

See Cat Alley.