Coach and Horses Inn - Cock (The)

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Coach and Horses Inn - Cock (The)', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63080 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Coach and Horses Inn

South out of Camomile Street. In Lime Street Ward (O. and M. 1677).

No later mention.

Coach and Horses' Inn, Wood Street

See White Horse Inn.

Coach and Horses' Yard

West out of Northumberland Alley, Fenchurch Street (Lockie, 1816-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Site covered by offices and business houses.

Coach and Horses' Yard

South out of Fan's Alley, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Site has been rebuilt.

Coach and Horses' Yard

West out of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Name derived from the sign.

Coach and Horses' Yard

West out of Wood Street, in Cripplegate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677-L. Guide, 1758). "Coach and Horses Court" (O. and M. 1677). "Coach and four Horses Court" (P.C. 1732).

So named from the inn standing in it.

The site seems to be occupied by "Paul's Alley" in Rocque and Strype.

Coach and Horses' Yard

East out of Coleman Street at No. 71, north of Great Swan Alley (Elmes, 1831). In Coleman Street Ward.

First mention : Strype, ed. 172O.

In O. and M. 1677, the Coach and Horses Inn is shown, from which the yard derived its name.

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Coach and Horses' Yard

North-east out of Bartholomew Close at No. 71, near the entrance to Great St. Bartholomew's Church (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : L.C.C. List, 1912.

Coach Yard

South out of Houndsditch in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).

No further reference.

Coach Yard, Aldgate

See George Yard.

Coach Yard, Northumberland Alley

See Carlisle Avenue.

Coachmakers' Hall, Coach Harness Makers' Hall

On the east side of Noble Street, at No. 11, next St. Mary Staining Churchyard, in Aldersgate Ward (P.O. Directory).

First mention : Strype, ed. 172O.

Former names : "Scriveners Hall" 1628-1720. "Bacon House" (q.v.).

Purchased from the Scriveners prior to 1720, except the front into Noble Street, which they retained.

Rebuilt 1841 and again 1870.

Company incorporated 1677. Seventy-ninth in order (Gent. Mag. Lib. XV. 329-30).

Coak's Buildings

North out of Stoney Lane, between Middlesex Street and Gravel Lane. In Portsoken Ward (O.S. 25 in. ed. 1880).

Former names : "Cook's Buildings" (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831). "Black Lyon Yard " (Rocque, 1746-Horwood, 1799). "Black Lion Yard" (Strype, ed. 1755 ; and Boyle, 1799).

(The buildings seem to have been in existence in 1720 in Strype's map of the ward, but they are not named in the map.)

Removed in 1884, and site covered by the City of London Artizans' Dwellings (q.v.).

Coal Exchange

On the north side of Lower Thames Street at No. 96, and at the south-east corner of St. Mary Hill (P.O. Directory). In Billingsgate Ward.

First mention : Lond. Guide, 1758.

In 1799, in Horwood's map, it is smaller and does not extend to St. Mary Hill.

It was established by statute 47 Geo. III. c. 68.

The present building was erected 1847-9. Architect, J. B. Bunning.

Occupies site of Dog Tavern Yard.

In digging the foundations a Roman hypocaust was laid open and has been arched over, so as to be readily inspected.

Coal Meters' Office

See Wilson's Yard.

The coal-meters were 15 in number, and were officers appointed to inspect the just measure and weight of coals.

Coal Wharf

At the south end of Joyners' Alley, the easternmmost wharf in Vintry Ward (Rocque, 1746).

See Golden Heart Wharf.

Coalman's Alley

South out of Puddle Dock Hill to the Thames, west of Puddle Dock. In Castle Baynard Ward (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

On or near the site of Victoria Wharf (q.v.).

See Lime Wharf.

Cobbam's Inn

Messuage or great house in Tower Ward, 6 H. V., called "Cobbam's Inne" (S. 139).

The new house of Henry Wymond not completed in 1349 is described as in "la Tourstrete" near the manor of Sir John de Cobham (Ct. H.W. I. 577).

Not further identified.

Cobb's Court

East out of Broadway at No. 11 and south to Carter Lane at No. 66 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Within.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

The southern portion called "Postboy Passage" (q.v.) is shown in Rocque, 1746.

Cock (The)

On the north side of Fleet Street, facing Middle Temple Gate, behind the bouses in Fleet Street. Approached by a wainscotted passage, through the houses.

First mention : "Le Cocke," 40 Eliz. (Lond. I. p.m. III. 256).

A famous tavern mentioned by Pepys in his Diary.

Pulled down 1888, and the branch Bank of England erected on its site.

Tavern removed to the opposite side of the street, further east.

Cock (The)

On the west side of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

First mention, 1612 (H. MSS. Com. Rutland, IV. p. 493).

There was a tenement called the Cock at the northern end of Long Lane in St. Bartholomew's parish without Alderychgate in 1543 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVIII. (1), p. 558).

This was a favourite street sign.

Cock (The)

Messuage in Thames Street so called, at the corner of Botolph Lane, devised by Sir John Leman 1632 for the poor of the parishes of St. Botolph Billingsgate, St. Mary at Hill and St. Michael Crooked Lane (End. Ch. 1903, p. 2).