Dagger Alley - Daw's Court

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Dagger Alley - Daw's Court', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63102 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Dagger Alley

Out of St. Peter's Hill (Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

Name derived from the sign.

Dagger Court

North out of Fore Street, at 110, opposite Wood Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie, 1816-Elmes, 1831).

Generally known as "Three Dagger Court" (q.v.).

Daggers (The)

Two messuages in Cheapside in parish of St. Mary le Bow called "Le Inner Dagger," and "Le Utter Dagger," the one belonging formerly to the college of Acon and the other to the Monastery of Holywell, 31 H. VIII. 1540 (L. and P. H. VIII. xv. p. 290).

Mentioned in Marriage Settlement, 19 Eliz., now in possession of the London County Council, Harben Bequest, Deeds 1500-1600, No. 25.

No later reference.

Daker's Rents

East out of Whitecross Street, at No. 14, a little north of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie, 1816-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Named after Mr. Deputy Daker, who built them.

Danes (Hall of the)

"Aula Dacorum," 1308, in Cal. L. Bk. C. pp. 162-3.

Sharpe (ib. note) says it is probably the "Gildaula Teutonicorum," near Dowgate, and in Liber Albus, I. 229, the "ferm" payable by the Cologne merchants issued out of "saille des Deneis."

See Steel yard.

Danver's Yard

West out of Seething Lane, in Tower Ward (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Darby House

Next adjoining Woodmongers' Hall is Darby House, sometime belonging to the Stanleys. Thomas Stanley, first Earl of Derby, built it (S. 369).

Queen Mary gave it to the Heralds, 1555 (ib. and 370).

See College of Arms.

Darby Street

South out of Royal Mint Street, and west to Cartwright Street (P.O. Directory).

Earliest mention : Strype, ed. 1720.

It did not then extend so far south and west as in later times, and only consisted of a few houses, so that it had probably not long been built.

"Derby Street " (P.C. 1732).

In 1880 (O.S.) the western portion leading into Cartwright Street was named Providence Place, which name has now been replaced by Darby Street.

Dark Entry

East out of Lower East Smithfield, facing Butcher Row (P.C. 1732, to Elmes, 1831).

Called also "Virginia Court" (Strype, ed. 1720 to Boyle, 1799).

Removed for the erection of St. Katherine Docks and the adjacent warehouses in 1827.

Dark Entry

West out of Foster Lane to St. Martin's le Grand, in Aldersgate Ward (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site was afterwards occupied by the old General Post Office, erected 1825-9.

Dark Entry, Duke Street, Aldgate

See Church Passage.

Dark House Lane

South out of the eastern end of High Timber Street to the Thames. In Queenhithe Ward (Horwood, 1799).

Former names : "Dark Lane" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755). "le Derke lane," 1357 (Ct. H.W. I. 697).

The site is now occupied by warehouses.

Dark House Lane

South out of Lower Thames Street to Somers Quay Stairs, west of Billingsgate (Rocque, 1746-O.S. 1880).

Former name : "Little Somers Key" (Tradesman's token, 1666) (Burn, p. 171).

There seems to have been a house called "The Dark House Billingsgate" in 1671 (L. and P. Chas. II. D.S. xi. 6), from which the lane took its name.

The site is now occupied by Billingsgate Market.

Dark Lane, High Timber Street

See Dark House Lane.

Dashmood's Walk, Dashwood's Walk

See Alderman's Walk.

Dashwood House

At No. 9 New Broad Street (P.O. Directory).

Commemorates the name of Francis Dashwood, Alderman, 1658, after whom Alderman's Walk (q.v.) occupying the site of Francis Dashwood's house was named.

Dashwood's Wharf

At the Old Swan, Dowgate (Strype, ed. 1755-L. Guide, 1758).

Not named in the maps.

David's (St.) Bishop of, Inn

Near the cemetery of St. Bride, Fleet Street, in 1311 (Dugdale, ii. 304).

Opposite the north side of Bridewell (S. 398).

Not named in the maps.

Davis Inne

See Thavie's Inn.

Daw's Court

South out of Gunpowder Alley, in Farringdon Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-L.C.C. List, 1901).

Not named in the maps.

Now occupied for business purposes.