West out of Miles' Lane at No. 14, near its junction with Upper Thames Street (P.O. Directory). In Bridge Ward Within.
First mention : O.S., 1848-51.
Former names : "Fan Court" (Lond. Guide, 1758-Elmes, 1831). "Fen Court" (O. and M. 1677-Rocque, 1746).
There seems to be a little confusion as to its exact location, as it is placed further north in O. and M., viz. on the site of "Meeting House Yard," and also in Strype's maps of Bridge Ward. In some of the other ward maps in Strype it is correctly located on the present site.
East out of Aldersgate Street, at No. 106, to Golden Lane. Part of the street is in Aldersgate and Cripplegate Wards Without, and part in the Borough of Fins bury outside the City boundary (P. O. Directory).
First mention : "Fan Street" (Horwood, 1799).
Former names : "Fanns Alley" (O. and M., 1677-Strype, 1720). "Fanns Alley (Rocque, 1746). "Stanns Alley" (Strype, 1720 and 1755). "Bridgewater Gardens" (P.C. 1732-O.S. 1875).
In former times the street extended only from Aldersgate Street to Bridgewater Gardens, but in 1878 the name Fann Street was adopted for the whole street to Golden Lane, including Bridgewater Gardens (q.v.).
The early forms suggest that it was named after an owner or builder.
See Scalding house, Eastcheap.
See Fann Street.
Tenement in Fardress Lane devised by Sir William Cromer, 1431, to the church of St. Martin Orgar with other tenements in the parish and lane of St. Swithin's near Candlewick Street for pious uses (End. Ch. Rep. 1903, St. Martin Orgar parish, p. 6).
This tenement has not been identified, nor the lane.
Farecloath's Buildings, Huggin Lane
See Faircloth Court.
See Farrier's Buildings.
West out of Bishopsgate at 163. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (Horwood, 1799-O.S. 1880).
Former name : "Three Tun Alley" (O. and M. 1677-L. Guide, 1758).
Messuage in Three Tuns Alley given in 1624 to the parish of St. Michael Cornhill (End. Ch. 1903, p. 3).
The site is now occupied by Liverpool Street Station and the railway lines, etc.
Named after the owner or builder.
West out of Inner Temple Lane, within the Temple precincts (L.C.C. List, 1912).
First mention : "Farriers Buildings " (Lockie, 1810).
In the Minories, in Portsoken Ward (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).
Not named in the maps.
North-east out of Stonecutter Street to Farringdon Street (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.
Erected 1892-3 on part of the site of Farringdon Market, Brewhouse Yard, etc.
See Serjeants' Inn, Chancery Lane.
Between Farringdon Street east and Shoe Lane west, north of Stonecutter Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Elmes, 1831-O.S. 1880).
Erected 1826 by the Corporation of London. Archt., W. Montague. To replace Fleet Market, removed from Farringdon Street.
The western side of the market was removed to form the approaches to Holborn Viaduct, and the remainder of the market, 11/2 acres, sold 1892.
Farringdon Avenue has been erected on the site.
South from Charterhouse Street to Fleet Street at Ludgate Circus (P.O. Directory).
Erected over the Fleet Ditch on the removal of the old Fleet Market 1826-30, the reconstructed market being known as Farringdon Market.
Fleet Ditch has been converted into a sewer and now runs under the middle of the street.
Named after the ward in which it is situated.
Comprised the Ward of Ludgate and Newgate Within and Without, under which title it was demised by Thomas de Arderne to Anketin d'Auverne for life, and at his death (c. 1277) was again demised by Thomas to Ralph le Fevre, whose son John made it over to William de Farndon, after whom the ward became known as the Ward of Farringdon Within and Without (Hust. Roll 13 (57), quoted by Sharpe, Cal. L Bk. A. p.11 note).
Other names and forms of name : "Ward of Lodgate and Neugate," c. 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 209). "Ward of Ralph le Fevre," 1278 (ib. B. p. 278). "Ward of Ankettil de Auvergne without the Gate," 1276-7 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 11). "Ward of Anketin d'Auverne within the Gate" (ib. 226). "Ward of Ludgate within and without," 1297-8 (ib. B. p. 245). "Ward of Flete Street," 1310 (ib. D. p. 236). "Ward of Neugate and Ward of Ludgate," 1307-8 (ib. C. p. 159). "Ward of Farndone," 1311 (ib. D. p. 140). "Warda de Farindone," 19 Ed. II. (Chancery I. p.m.). "Ward of Nicholas de Farndon," 1333-4 (Ct. H.W. I. 395). "Wards of Farndon infra and Farndon extra," 18 Ed. II. (West. Abbey MS. 12339) and see 20 Ed. III. (Cal. L. Bk. F. p. 144). "Farndon ward," 1341 (Cal. Cl. R. 1341-3, p. 109). "Ward of Flete," 1352 (ib. 1349-54, p. 497).
Divided into two wards and one Alderman to be elected for Ward of Farndone Within and one for Ward of Farndone Without, owing to increase of property and inhabitants of Ward of Farndone Within and Without, 17 Rich. II. 1393-4 (Cal. L. Bk. H. p. 407).
See Farringdon Ward Within ; Farringdon Ward Without ; Wards.
Farringdon Ward Within
One of the twenty-six wards of the City, bounded on the north by Farringdon and Aldersgate Wards Without, on the east by Aldersgate Ward Within, Cripplegate Ward and Bread Street Ward, south by Castle Baynard Ward and The Thames, west by Farringdon Ward Without.
First mention : "Ward of William de Farendon within and without," 1287 (Cal. L. 13k. A. p. 228).
Prior to 17 Richard II., Farringdon Within and Without formed one ward under one Alderman, but in that year it was ordained by the King with the assent of Parliament that, owing to increase of property and of the inhabitants of the Ward of Farndone Within and Without, an Alderman should thenceforth be elected by the good men of the Ward of Farndone Within and another by the good men of the Ward of Farndone Without (Cal. L. Bk. H.p. 407).
Since this time they have formed two separate wards, one within the walls and the other without.
Boundaries agreed 1787, between St. Anne Blackfriars and St. Bride's parishes.
Took name of W. Farendon Goldsmith, Alderman of the Ward 1281, he having acquired the Aldermanry by purchase (S. 312).
Other names : "Ward of Lodgate and Neugate," 1285 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 209). "Ludgate Within," 1297 (Cal .L. Bk. B. p. 236). "Ward of Flete Strete," 1310 (ib. D. p. 236. "Ward of Anketin d'Auverne within the Gate" (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 226), 1275-6, (Cal. L. Bk. B. p. 261). "Ward of Nicholas de Farndone Within," 33 Ed. I. (Cal. L. Bk. C. p. 145).
It contained six parish churches, viz. St. Audoen ; St. Nicholas Shambles ; St. Ann Blackfriars ; St. Martin Ludgate ; St. Augustine ; St. Matthew Friday Street.
Only the last three now remain.
Farringdon Ward Within. Charity School
At the west end of Bull and Mouth Street, early facing Butcher Hall Lane (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).
Established 1705 by the inhabitants of the ward.
Not named in the maps.
Amalgamated with Aldersgate Ward School, 1875.
Farringdon Ward Without
The westernmost of the City wards, outside the walls, and extending north to the parish of Clerkenwell, south to the Thames, and west to the borough of Holborn and the city of Westminster. To the east it adjoins the wards of Farringdon Within and Aldersgate.
Formerly formed one ward with Farringdon Within, from which it was separated in 1393-4, and a separate Alderman elected for it owing to the increase of property and inhabitants of the two wards (Cal. L. Bk. H. p. 407).
Names and forms of name : "Ward of Ludgate," 1307-8 (Cal. L. Bk. C. p. 159), "Farndon extra," 18 Ed. II. (West. Abbey MS. 12339). "Ward of Nicholas de Farndone without," 1301 (Cal. Cor. Rolls, p. 21). "Ward of Fletestrete," 1310 (Cal. L. Bk. D. p. 236). "Ward without Lutgate," 1310 (ib. p. 299). "Ward of Anketin de Auvergne," 1276 (ib. B. p. 261). "Ward of Farndon Without," 1348-9 (Ct. H. W. I. 524). "Ward of Flete," 26 Ed. III. (Cal. Close R. 1349-54, p. 497). "Ward of Faryngdon Without," 6 Rich. II. (Anc. Deeds, C. 3580).
The streets and buildings in the ward have undergone extensive alterations in the course of the 18th and 19th centuries. The Fleet River and Ditch having been converted into a sewer have entirely disappeared and a handsome street, Farringdon Street, has been constructed over the site.
The construction of Holborn Viaduct, Holborn Circus, Ludgate Circus and Charterhouse Street and the Thames Embankment have involved the demolition and rebuilding of enormous areas, and the disappearance of numberless small courts and alleys, old taverns, etc., in the districts affected.
The peculiar privileges of the precincts of Whitefriars and Bridewell have disappeared and have given place to modern conditions of government and jurisdiction.
See Farringdon Ward.
A tenement so called in parish of St. Sepulchre in ward of Farringdon Without, lying north of a piece of land adjoining Seacoallane on the west, land of the priory of St. Bartholomew east, and extending south to the high street by which one goes to Fleet prison, 23 H. VI. (Ane. Deeds, B. 2176).
No later mention.
North out of Upper East Smithfield. In Portsoken Ward (Rocque, 1746-O.S. 25 in. 1880).
Seems to occupy the site of "Watter Cock alley," in Strype, 1720, and P.C. 1732.
Removed for the continuation of Cartwright Street to Upper East Smithfield and for the erection of industrial dwellings there in 1884.