South out of Chick Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).
Site now covered by Farringdon Road.
East out of St. Katherine's Lane. In St. Katherine's Precinct (P.C. 1732-Lockie, 1810).
Removed for the construction of St. Katherine's Docks and the adjacent warehouse in 1827.
East out of Aldersgate Street, in Aldersgate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).
The site is now occupied by business houses.
On the north side of Holborn, between Furnival's Inn east and Brooke Street west, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).
Earliest mention : 1629 (L. and P. Chas. I. IV. p. 9).
Site now covered by the Prudential Assurance Co.'s offices.
On the west side of West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Lockie, 1816).
Site now occupied by business houses.
West out of Grub Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).
The site is now occupied by warehouses, etc.
"Greyhound Yard" in Lockie, 1816.
A tenement so called in Saynt Martyns Le Graunde in Seynt Martyns lane in parish of St. Leonard Foster lane, between that lane, a tenement called the Checker and a tavern called the "Bulhedde," 32 H. VIII. 1541 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. p. 243).
Not further identified.
See Serjeant's Inn.
In Brand's Yard, Great Minories, in Portsoken Ward (W. Stow, 1722-P.C. 1732).
Not named in the maps.
Greystock Place, Fetter Lane
See Graystoke Place.
See Trinity (Holy) Priory.
North out of Long Lane, West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).
The site is now covered by Aldersgate Street Station and the railway lines.
Name derived from the sign.
South out of Swan Street, Minories, to Goodman's Yard. In parish of St. Mary Whitechapel (P.O. Directory).
Earliest mention : Rocque, 1746.
"Greggs' Court" in Strype, ed. 1775 and Elmes, 1831.
Name derived from owner or builder.
At the west end of Tower Street near Mincing Lane, a turning runs north to a house belonging formerly to a man called Griste, who lived there 1449 (S. 134).
Seems to be shown in O. and M. 1677, but not mentioned elsewhere.
See Grub Street.
Grocers' Alley, Poultry
See Grocers' Hall Court .
Seven almshouses erected near Grocer's Hall in 1429 (S. 266).
The Grocers of old time were called Pepperers and were first incorporated by the name of Grocers in 1345 (S. 265).
Elections to the Mistery of Grocers are recorded in 1328 (Cal. L. Bk. E. p. 232), the Apothecaries being enumerated separately.
In 1365 Nicholas Chaucer of Sopere lane was Surveyor of the Trade of Grocers, Pepperers and Apothecaries (Cal. L. Bk. G. p. 204).
Thos. Knowles gave them a tenement in the churchyard of St. Antholin for the relief of their poor (S. 266).
See Dog Tavern Yard.
On the north side of Grocers' Hall (Strype, ed. 1720 and 1755).
Shown but not named in O. and M. 1677.
Great garden of the Society of Grocers mentioned in description of property in 1531, 30 and 35 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIV. Pt. 1, p. 252, and XVIII. Pt.1, p. 528).
Encroachments made on it for the rebuilding of the hall 1798, and again in 1802 for the enlargement of Princes Street, for which, however, the Grocers received £20,000.