King's Head Court - King's Head Tavern

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'King's Head Court - King's Head Tavern', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63192 Date accessed: 29 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

King's Head Court

North-west out of Gravel Lane. In Portsoken Ward (Strype, ed. 1720-Boyle, 1799).

Only partly built in 1720 (Strype, I. ii. 27).

Removed towards the end of the 18th century for the erection of warehouses, now occupied by the Port of London Authority.

King's Head Court

In Wood Street (W. Stow, 1722-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

King's Head Court

South out of St. Paul's Churchyard, at No. 27, to Carter Lane. In Castle Baynard Ward (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Removed for the widening of St. Paul's Churchyard.

The "Kinges Hedde" stood here in 6 Eliz.

See King's Head, parish of St. Gregory.

King's Head Court

East out of Fish Street Hill at No. 34 (P.O. Directory). In Billingsgate Ward and Bridge Ward Within, on the boundary of the wards.

First mention : O. and M. 1677.

The "Kynges Heade tavern" from which the Court derives its name is mentioned in 37 H. VIII. 1545 (L. and P. H. VIII. Vol. XX. Pt. 2, p. 449). In parish of St. Magnus the Martyr in the ward of London Bridge.

King's Head Court

On Ludgate Hill (P.C. 1732).

Or Half Moon Court (q.v.).

King's Head Court

South out of Holborn and east out of Fetter Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Hatton, 1708-O.S. 1880).

Hatton described it as a "paved passage." Now called "Stoke's Court" (q.v.).

King's Head Court

West out of Sermon Lane. In Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

King's Head Court

North out of Beech Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without.

See Beech Court.

King's Head Court

In Huggin Lane, Thames St. (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

King's Head Court

In King Street, Cheapside (Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

King's Head Court

South out of Newgate Street, in Farringdon Ward Within (Strype, 1720 and 1755), or "Three Cup Court" in P.C. 1732.

Shown as separate courts in Strype, one east of the other, between Pannier Alley and Queen's Head Alley.

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

King's Head Court

West out of St. Martin le Grand at No. 17, with a passage north to Angell Street, in Aldersgate Ward (O. and M. 1677-Elmes, 1831).

Site now occupied by some of the General Post Office buildings.

King's Head Court

In Pudding Lane, Thames Street (Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

King's Head Court

West out of Shoe Lane to Gough Square, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-O.S. 1880).

Now forms part of "Wine Office Court" (q.v.).

Mentioned in will of Joseph Parratt, 1654 (End. Ch. Rep. St. Bride's, 1829, p. 6).

King's Head Court

East out of Gutter Lane at No. 14, north of Goldsmith Street, in Farringdon Ward Within, opposite Innholders' Hall (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Site now occupied by offices and warehouses.

King's Head Court, Whitecross Street

See King's Arms Yard.

King's Head Court, Widegate Street

Out of Widegate Street. In Bishopsgate Ward Without (Strype, ed. 1720, I. ii. 108).

There is a court of this name described in Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831, as in Petticoat Lane, the second turning on the left hand from Widegate Street, but perhaps this is the one shown on Rocque's map east out of Petticoat Lane.

Rebuilt before 1775 (Maitland, II. 795).

King's Head Inn

On the west side of the Old Change, at No.17, in Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677-Lockie, 1816).

Mentioned 30 H. VIII. 1538 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIII. (2), p. 469).

Site now occupied by offices and chambers, etc.

King's Head Inn

On the west side of West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Rocque, 1746).

Site rebuilt and now occupied by business houses.

King's Head Tavern

On the east side of Chancery Lane, with a passage south to Fleet Street (Rocque, 1746).

Site has been rebuilt.