Adjoined the east side of Middle Temple Gate, erected by A. Luther, Master of the Utter Bar, 1614-15 (Middle Temple Records, p. 43).
A tenement so called within the precinct of the Blackfriars, occupied by Roger Lygon, Esq. 7 Eliz. (H. MSS. Com. 7th Rep. 618).
Lyllye Potte (The)
A tenement so called north of St. John's Alley, in Parish of St. Leonard, Foster Lane, 32 H. VIII. 1541 (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. 243).
Probably gave its name to "Lily pot lane" (q.v.).
Lymbarneres Lane, Lymbrenneres Lane
,-See Lime burners' Alley.
See Lime Street.
Lyme Street Square
See Lime Street Square.
On the Thames south of White Friers (O. and M. 1677).
Site now occupied by Hawke's Wharfe and West and Cove's Wharf (q.v.) in Horwood, 1799.
Messuages in parish of All Saints, next Gracechurche, in ward of Busshoppesgate, formerly called the "Scutt on the Hoope" and now called the "Lyon on the hoope," alias "Lyon Alley," 18 Eliz. (1576) (Lond. I. p.m. II. p. 206).
Not further identified.
Named from the sign.
Lyon in ye Wood Inn
North out of the Wilderness, Dorset Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (Rocque, 1746).
See Lion in the Wood Inn, Yard.
On the Thames between Dark House Lane east and Botolph Wharf west. In Billingsgate Ward (Elmes, 1831).
Earliest mention: 1 Ed. V. (Anc. Deeds, A. 1841).
Stow says it took its name of one Lion, owner thereof and since of the signe of a Lion (S. 208).
The site is now occupied by Botolph Wharf and Nicholson's Wharf and the warehouses behind them in Thames Street.
It was one of the Legal Quays for the discharging of goods appointed by Act of Parliament, 1559.
0n the Thames, between Broken Wharf west and Brook's Wharf east (O.S. 1880).
A large house for stowage of come lately built at Queenhithe. Sir John Lion Grocer, Mayor 1554, gave £100 to it (S. 363).
Seems to be called "Randall's Wharf" in Lockie, 1810, 1816.
Qy. Leather Lane (q.v.).
See Leather Lane.