Meermaid Court - Mengenelane, Mengeoneslane, Mengonelane, Menionelane

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Meermaid Court - Mengenelane, Mengeoneslane, Mengonelane, Menionelane', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63228 Date accessed: 25 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Meermaid Court

See Mermaid Court, Warwick Lane.

Meermaid Inn

See Mermaid Court, Great Carter Lane.

Meeting House Court

West out of Miles' Lane at No. 7 (P.O. Directory). In Candle-wick Ward.

First mention : O. and M. 1677. But in this map there seems to be some confusion with Fann Court, the names of these two streets being reversed.

Called "Meeting House Yard" in Strype, 1720 and 1755.

The name is derived from an Independent Meeting House situate at the western end of the street as shown in Rocque's map, 1746.

The court is now occupied entirely for business purposes.

Meeting House Court

East out of Old Jewry in Coleman Street Ward (Bacon, 1912).

First mention : Rocque, 1746.

Former name : "Meeting House Alley," near Lothbury (P.C. 1732).

The name is derived from a Presbyterian Meeting House shown in Rocque's map on the north side of the yard, on the site now occupied by the National Debt and Government Life Annuity Office.

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Meeting House Court

West out of Water Lane, in Farringdon Ward Within (P.C. 1732, and Horwood, 1799-O.S. 1848-50).

Former name : "Meeting House Yard" (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

Probably removed for the erection of Ludgate Hill Station and the formation of the railway lines.

Meeting House Court

See Meeting House Yard, Gravel Lane.

Meeting House Yard

In Broad Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Meeting House Yard

West out of St. Martin's Lane at No. 20 (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Meeting House Yard

In Little St. Helen's (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Meeting House Yard

East out of Devonshire Square, the western end in Bishopsgate Ward Without, the eastern in Portsoken Ward (Rocque, 1746-Boyle, 1799).

The site was occupied by the Metropolitan Free Hospital in O.S. 1880, but is now covered by the Metropolitan Railway lines.

Meeting House Yard

West out of Redcross Street at No. 15, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Meeting House Yard

On the east side of Noble Street by Silver Street, Wood Street (P.C. 1732, and Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Meeting House Yard, Gravel Lane

South-west out of Stoney Lane to Gravel Lane (P.C. 1732-O.S. 25 in. 1880).

Former name : "Meeting House Court" (Strype, 1720-Elmes, 1831).

Removed for the erection of the Artizans' Dwellings, 1884, and formation of Artizan Street.

Meeting House Yard, Miles' Lane

See Fann Court.

Meigley's Court

North out of Thames Street on the east side of Five foot Lane (Strype, 1720 and 1755). In Queenhithe Ward.

A very handsome square Court with three large houses so called from one of that name inhabiting there (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 218).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Melc, Melk Street

See Milk Street.

Mellin's Rents

East out of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799).

See Merlin's Rents.

Melters of Tallow and Lard

Unctarii-excluded from Chepe 1283 (Cal. L. Bk. A. p. 221).

In the Calendar, "unctarii"="oynters."

Menchenelane, Menchonelane, Menechine Lane

See Mincing Lane.

Mengenelane, Mengeoneslane, Mengonelane, Menionelane

See Mincing Lane.