Mistrete (Ye) - Mitre Tavern, Yard

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Mistrete (Ye) - Mitre Tavern, Yard', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63235 Date accessed: 22 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Mistrete (Ye)

A messuage called "le Marmayde" in the street called "ye Mistrete" in parish of St. Michael Crooked Lane and another called "le Rammes Hed" in the same parish, 36 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (2), p. 186).

Not identified.

Possibly=Miles's Lane, written "Mistrete," the contracted form.

Mitchel's Court

In Milk Street (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Named after the owner or builder.

Miter Court, Huggin Lane

See Myter Court.

Miter Tayern

.On the north side of Fenchurch Street. In Langbourn Ward (O. and M. 1677).

Site now occupied by offices and chambers.

Mitre Buildings

At the south end of Mitre Court, Fleet Street (Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Mitre Court

In Cornhill (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Mitre Court

South out of Cheapside at No. 18. In Farringdon Ward Within (W. Stow, 1722-O.S.1875, and Bacon, 1912).

The Mitre Tavern stood here. An old tavern in existence before 1475, burnt in the Fire and not rebuilt. The court commemorated its name.

Site rebuilt for business purposes.

Mitre Court

West out of Aldgate to Little Duke's Place (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

"Mitre Street" in Lockie, 1816.

The site is now occupied by Mitre Street (q.v.).

Mitre Court

East out of London House Yard and south to St. Paul's Churchyard at No. 71, in Castle Baynard Ward (Rocque, 1746-ElmeS, 1831).

Site now occupied by shops and warehouses.

Mitre Court

On the north side of Thames Street, near Fish Street Hill (P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Mitre Court

North-west out of Milk Street at No. 33 (P.O. Directory). With a passage into Wood Street, in Cripplegate Ward Within.

First mention : Strype, ed. 1720.

Former name : "Nunnery Court" (O. and M. 1677).

Named from the inn called the Mitre, of considerable trade.

Mitre Court

South out of Fleet Street at No. 44 (P.O.Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention : "Myter Court" (O. and M. 1677).

Strype describes it as much taken up by Coffee Houses and leading down into the Temple by steps (ed. 1755, I. 750).

Named after the tavern, which stood on the west side of the Court (Rocque, 1746).

Mitre Court

In Gutter Lane (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Mitre Court

South out of Fenchurch Street at No. 20, east of Philpot Lane. In Langbourn Ward (Rocque, 1746-Elmes, 1831).

Named after the Miter Tavern, which stood on the opposite side of the street in 1677.

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Mitre Court Buildings

At the north end of King's Bench Walk, south of Mitre Court, within the Inner Temple Precincts (P.O. Directory).

First mention : 1686 (Inner Temple Records, III. 237).

"Mitre Buildings" (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).

Nos. 1 and 2 occupy the site of Fuller's Rents (q.v.).

Mitre Court Passage

In Honey Lane. Also called Sun Passage (P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Mitre Square

North out of Mitre Street at No. 9 (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.

First mention : O.S. 1848-51.

Former names : "Duke's Place" (O. and M. 1677-Rocque, 1746). "Little Duke's Place" (Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831).

Mitre Street

West out of Aldgate, at No. 29, to Creechurch Lane (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O.S. 1848-51.

Former streets on the site : The site was formerly occupied at the western end by "New Court, Duke's Place," and at the eastern end by "Mitre Court" (q.v.) (Horwood, 1799). "Sharp's Buildings," "Adam's Court, Duke's Place," (Rocque, 1746). "Rose Alley, Duke's Place," (O. and M. 1677) at the western end.

In Lockie, 1816, this name was given to "Mitre Court, Aldgate."

Probably named after the Mitre Tavern.

See Mitre Tavern, Yard.

Mitre Tavern

See Mitre Court, Cheapside.

Mitre Tavern, Yard

On the south side of Shoemaker Row, Aldgate. In Aldgate Ward (Rocque, 1746).

Adjoined remains of Lady Chapel, etc., of Holy Trinity Priory, the gateway of which led to the yard of the Mitre Inn (Home Co. Mag. Jan.1900, Vol.II. p. 49).

Site has been rebuilt.