Ramsey (Hostel of Abbot of) - Red Bull Wharf

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Ramsey (Hostel of Abbot of) - Red Bull Wharf', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63287 Date accessed: 22 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Ramsey (Hostel of Abbot of)

" In Beech Lane of old times a great house, pertayning to the Abbot of Ramsey for his lodging, when he repayred to the Cittie. It is now called Drewry House of sir Drewe Drewne, a worshipfull owner thereof " (S. 304). In Cripple-gate Ward Without.

First mention : 1349 (Ct. H.W. I. 598).

The house of the Abbot of Ramsey in London is mentioned in 1114-30 in the Cartulary of Ramsey Abbey, pp.139 and 140, but it is not clear from these entries whether that house occupied the same position as the one referred to by Stow. It seems possible it may have been somewhere near the Walbrook at that time.

Granted to John Gates 1545 (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (1), p.623).

Randall's Lime Wharf

See Purfleet Wharf.

Randall's Wharf

South out of Upper Thames Street, east of Broken Wharf, entrance by Gardeners Lane and No. 42 Upper Thames Street (Lockie, 1810 and 1816).

Lyon's Wharf (q.v.) seems to occupy the site.

Rangoon Street

North-west out of Crutched Friars, and south-west to Northumberland Alley (P.O. Directory). In Aldgate Ward.

Erected 1895.

Site formerly occupied by the East and West India Dock Company's warehouses.

Raquet Court

See Racquet Court.

Rastal's Rents

In Blackfriars (P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Rat Alley

North out of Great Eastcheap. In Candlewick Ward (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

In O. and M. it extended north to St. Clement's Churchyard, but in Rocque, 1746, it does not connect with the Churchyard.

Probably demolished early in the 19th century for the formation of King William Street.

Raton Lane

In parish St. Mary Somerset, in the ward of Queenhithe, forming the eastern boundary of a tenement bounded north by the lane called "le Tymberhith" prope " le Brokene Wharf."

First mention: " Ratones Lane," 20 Ed. II. (MS. D. and C. St. Paul's, Press A. Box 16, 1237).

Other records: "Raton Lane," 41 Ed. III. (H. MSS. Com. 9th Rep. 5).

In a view of the precincts of the Thames taken 17 Ed. III. the lane called " Ratones Lane" is described as in the parish of St. Michael Queenhithe, and as a common lane on which a trespass had been committed by the Abbot of Lesnes contrary to the custom of the city, and it was said further that a course of water which ought to run through the lane had been impeded by the predecessors of Thomas de Stunforde to the public hurt.

Perhaps an early name for Gardner's Lane (q.v.).

Probably named after the owner.

Ratonsrowe

10 cottages in Holebourne so called 42 Ed. III. (Hust. Roll, 96, No.218).

There seems to have been a place so called in Norwich (Dugdale IV. p.14).

Not further identified.

Rauff's Key

See Ralph's Quay.

Raven Alley

On the east side of Cow Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (End. Ch. Rep. St. Sepulchre's, 1902, p.8).

See Black Raven Court, Cow Lane.

Raven Court, Passage

West out of Fetter Lane at No.101, in Farringdon Ward Without (Boyle, 1799-Elmes, 1831).

Greystoke Place seems to occupy the site. See Black Raven Passage.

Rayns's Yard

West out of West Smithfield, in Farringdon Ward Without, south of Hosier Lane (O. and M. 1677).

The site has been rebuilt and is occupied by business premises.

Reading Place

In parish of St. Andrew near Baynardes Castell, in the ward of Castle Baynard, belonging to Reading Monastery, 33 H. VIII. 1541.

"Redyng Place" (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. 605).

Mentioned in Augmentation Roll relating to possessions of Reading Abbey, H. VIII. (Dugdale, IV. 50).

Not further identified.

Read's Rents

In Long Lane, West Smithfield (Strype, ed. 1755-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Named after owner or the builder.

Record Office

On the east side of Chancery Lane (P.O. Directory).

Erected 1856-70 as a depository for the Public Records of the kingdom formerly deposited in the Tower and elsewhere.

The Record Office in the Tower was in Wakefield's Tower.

The present building occupies the site of the Rolls' Office (q.v.).

Red Bull Alley, Upper Thames Street

See Red Bull Yard.

Red Bull Court

North out of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses. Named after the sign.

Red Bull Court

Out of Harp Alley, Grub Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (Lockie, 1816).

Not named in the maps.

Red Bull Wharf

South out of Upper Thames Street at No.93, west of Angel Passage (P.O. Directory). In Dowgate Ward.

First mention: Horwood, 1799.

Former name: "Angel Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

Both the names suggest that they were derived from signs.