Sir John Hubland's - Sir Thomas Bludworth's House

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Sir John Hubland's - Sir Thomas Bludworth's House', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63311 Date accessed: 31 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Sir John Hubland's

See Bank of England.

Sir John Lawrence's House

On the south side of the southern portion of Great St. Helens. In Bishopsgate Ward Within (O. and M. 1677, and Strype, 1720 and 1755).

The site is now occupied by chambers and offices.

Sir Joseph Sheldon's House

On the south side of St. Paul's Churchyard, in Castle Baynard Ward (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

Afterwards the Deanery of St. Paul's (q.v.).

Sir Nathaniel Herne's House

On the south side of Lothbury, west of Drapers' Court. In Coleman Street Ward (O. and M. 1677).

In 1720 it was occupied by Sir John Fouches (Strype), Sir Nathaniel Herne having died in 1679 (ed. 1720, I. iii. 57).

The site is now covered by Prince's Street, etc.

Sir Patient Ward's House

On the south side of Lawrence Pountney Hill. In Dow-gate Ward (O. and M. 1677, and Strype, ed. 1720).

The house was erected on part of the site of Sir John Pulteney's property, known as the Manor of the Rose.

Lawrence Pountney Place was erected on the site (q.v.).

Sir Richard Levet's House

On the north side of Maiden Lane, east of St. John Zachary, in Aldersgate Ward (Strype, 1720 and 1755).

Described by Strype as a curious spatious house, with a large Courtyard, formerly the seat of Sir Thomas Bludworth. It is shown in O. and M. 1677. Sir Richard Levet, Lord Mayor 1700, kept his Mayoralty in this house. Rebuilt and occupied by Union Insurance Office 1775 (Maitland, II. 762).

The site is now occupied by warehouses and offices.

Sir Robert Clayton's House

On the east side of Old Jewry. opposite Mr. Frederick's House (afterwards Frederick's Place) (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

The site is now occupied by offices and chambers.

Sir Robert Vyner's House

See Post Office, Lombard Street, and Post Office Court.

Sir Samuel Barnardiston's House

See New City Chambers.

Sir Thomas Bludworth's House

See Sir Richard Levet's House.