Turners' Hall - Tymberhethe, Tymberhuth

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Turners' Hall - Tymberhethe, Tymberhuth', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63349 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Turners' Hall

On the east side of College Hill, south of Cutlers' Hall. In Vintry Ward (Rocque, 1746).

In P. Clerks' Survey it is described as in Philpot Lane (p.21).

In Leake's map, 1666, shown on the north side of Smithers Lane, east of Philpot Lane, in Billingsgate Ward, Smithers Lane being the eastern continuation of Little Eastcheap at that time.

Seems to have been erected in College Hill after the Fire instead of being rebuilt on the former site.

Hall sold.

Turner's Square

South out of Amelia Place (O.S. 1848-51 to O.S. 25 in. 1880). In Portsoken Ward.

Removed for the extension of the Metropolitan Railway line.

Turnmill Brook

Another name for the water of "Fleet" or the "Holborne." Shown in Vertue's map of London as fortified by Parliament, 1642-3. Not perhaps

a very reliable authority.

At the Court of Sewers held at the Guildhall, 1652, an order was made for the cleansing of the Common Dich or Sewer commonly called Fleet Ditch and the River Wells, also Tremel Brook from the River of Thames at Bridewell Dock to Hockley (" Sewers," 669, f. 16/88, B.M.).

"Trillemyllebroke," near the house of the Bishop of Ely in Holborn, mentioned in Records of London Bridge at the Guildhall, quoted in Welch's History of Tower Bridge, p.55.

Mentioned as the western boundary of a tenement at "Holbornbrigge" belonging to St. Mary Graces (K.R. Conv. Leases, 17, 3 Ed. IV.).

Seems to be called " Abroke," 36 H. VIII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XIX. (2), 84).

Turnwheel Lane

South out of Cannon Street and south and west to Dowgate Hill. In Walbrook and Dowgate Wards (O. and M. 1677-Hatton, 1708-Elmes, 1831).

Removed about 1865 for the erection of Cannon Street Station.

Stow describes it as " a little lane with a turnepike in the middest thereof, and in the same a proper parish church called S. Mary Bothaw" (S. 230).

Turpin's Passage

On the north side of Cloth Fair to Long Lane (L.C.C. List, 1901).

Called "Passage leading to Long Lane " in P.O. Directory.

Tuttes Alley

In parish of St. Sepulchre in the ward of Faryngdon, near Newgate. Four messuages in this parish are described, as to three, as bounded by the highway

leading to Newgate, a hospice called Warwykys Inne, and a messuage of Wm. Storkys, while the fourth is situated in a lane called Tuttysshaly, 1519" (L. and P. H. VIII. III. (1), p. 71).

Tenements in Newgate, Newgate Aly, Middell Aly and Tuttes Aly, 12 H. VIII. (ib. p.397).

No later mention.

Twelfth

Fourpence to be taken in each pound of the twelfth according to the manner of the first assessment made by neighbours, which twelfth was granted to King Edward II. at York in the 13th of his reign (Cal. L. Bk. E. p. 115).

The twelfth was a common subsidy in early times. See Fifteenth.

Twelve Bell Court

West out Of Bow Lane, in Cordwainer Ward (Strype, ed. 1720, I. iii. 24-Boyle, 1799).

It communicated with Goose Alley and Bow Churchyard (Strype, ib.). Name derived from the sign representing a peal of bells.

Twisden's Buildings

At the southern end of Inner Temple Lane, within the Temple precincts (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831; and L.C.C. List, 1901).

Not named in the maps.

Two Bell Alley

On Snow Hill (P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Named after the sign.

Two Cranes Court

North out of Fleet Street, east of Fetter Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1755).

Afterwards called "Crane Court" (q.v.). Name derived from the sign.

Two Leg Alley

In Old Bethlehem (W. Stow, 1722-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Two Swan Inn, Two Swan Yard

West out of Bishopsgate, in Bishopsgate Ward Without, between Nos. 186 and 187 (Rocque, 1746-Horwood, 1799).

Part of the site occupied by a Stable yard in Rocque, 1746.

Former names: " Garden Alley" (O. and M. 1677). " Garland Alley" (Strype, ed. 1720).

Site now occupied by the Great Eastern Railway Hotel. Name derived from the sign.

Twychyn (le)

A shop in the parish of St. Nicholas at the Shambles near a narrow path called " le Twychyn," 1474 (Ct. H.W. II. 572).

No later reference.

Tyger Court

In Whitecross Street, south of Beech Lane (W. Stow, 1722-Lockie, 1816).

See Tiger Court.

Tyghtynwowes

A house in the parish of All Hallows upon the Cellar is described as near the tenements of William de Leyre, the lane called Wolsislane and the lane leading to "Tyghtynwowes," 1307 (Cal. L. Bk. C. p.204).

In the Hust. Roll, Rich. II. 116 (117) certain land belonging to John Southcote in the parish of St. Leonard Eastcheap is called "Tyghtyngwowes."

No later record.

Tyler's Court

-In Lambeth Hill, Upper Thames Street (Lockie, 1810-Elmes, 1831).

Not named in the maps.

Tymberhawe

A close so called belonging to John Wolfey, 1410 (Ct. H.W. II. 385).

He was a carpenter, and the term is probably only used to designate his yard.

Tymberhawe (le)

See Timberhawe.

Tymberhethe, Tymberhuth

See Timberhithe.