Underwood's Almshouse - Upper Thames Street

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Underwood's Almshouse - Upper Thames Street', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63351 Date accessed: 29 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Underwood's Almshouse

At the west end of the Rectory house of St. Botolph's Bishopsgate.

Erected by Mr. Underwood for sixteen poor old women. Moved to Lamb Alley 1730. Site now occupied by Liverpool Street Station and the railway lines.

Unicorn (The)

A messuage or mansion called the "Unicorn," alias "Unicornys Home "in Chepisside in parish of St. Mary le Bow and a tenement called the" Unicorne," alias "Goodchepselde," in Westchepe in the same parish.

The former belonged to Ely Priory, the latter to St. Mary without Bishopsgate 23 Henry VII. (L. and P. H. VIII. XVI. p.602).

Hamon Godchep and Richard and Margery Godchep were in possession of a seld in Westchepe in 1318-20, probably the same messuage and named after them.

No later mention.

See Goodchepfelde.

Unicorn Alley

In the Great Minories (W. Stow, 1722-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Unicorn Alley

North out of Fore Street, in Cripplegate Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

The site is now occupied by warehouses and business premises.

Name derived from the sign.

Unicorn Court

West out of Red Cross Street, St. Katherine's to Goodman's Wharf (Rocque, 1746).

Former name: " Unicorn Yard" (Survey of St. Katherine's, 1686; Sloane MS. 3254, A. 1).

Site occupied by New Street in 1799 (Horvood).

Unicorn Court

In Broad Street, London Wall (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Union Bank of London

At the south-west corner of Princes Street at No.2. The Head Office (P.O. Directory).

First mention : O.S.1875.

Union Court

In Throgmorton Street (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Union Court

North out of Holborn, at No.95, to Ely Place, the southern end only in Farringdon Ward Without (Horwood, 1799-Elmes, 1831).

The south-eastern end was formerly called Scroop's Court (q.v.).

This end was removed for the formation of Charterhouse Street, so that the street now lies wholly outside the City boundary. It is now known as Ely Place.

Union Court

East out of Old Broad Street at No.41 and north to Wormwood Street (P.O. Directory). In Broad Street Ward.

First mention: Union Court" or "Hand Court" (P.C. 1732).

The portion running north to Wormwood Street was called " Queen's Head Alley" (O. and M. 1677-Strype, 1720), and the other portion " White Horse Court" (O. and M. 1677).

Strype describes it as having old timber houses (ed. 1720, I. ii. p.132).

Union Court

In Shoe Lane (Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Union Row

On the east side of the Minories at its junction with Sparrow Corner and Tower Hill (P.O. Directory).

First mention: Boyle, 1799.

Union Square

In the Minories (Strype, ed. 1755~Dodsley, 1761).

Not named in the maps.

Union Street

East out of New Bridge Street at No.38 (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Within.

First mention: Horwood, 1799.

Site formerly occupied by Pav'd Alley, Water Lane, etc. (q.v.).

Union Street, Bishopsgate

See Brushfield Street.

Upholders

Occupied the south side of Cornhill from Birchin Lane to the Stocks, temp. Henry VI. (S. 200).

Incorporated 1627.

They sold household stuff.

Strype mentions the Upholsters on the south side in 1720 (I. ii. 149).

The Hall was in Leadenhall Street (P.C. 1732).

Upon

This expression is used instead of "in" in the case of Lothbury, Bucklersbury, Aldermanbury, and Cornhill.

Upper East Smithfield

East from Littie Tower Hill to Dock Street (P.O. Directory).

Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.

Former name: "East Smithfield" (O. and M. 1677-Horwood, 1799).

Hatton (1708) says it was so called from its being in the east part of London, but this street certainly derived its name from the district of East Smithfield in which it was situated, and was so called to distinguish it from Lower East Smithfield, nearer the river.

Upper East Smithfield

East from Littie Tower Hill to Dock Street (P.O. Directory).

Earliest mention: Lockie, 1810.

Former name: "East Smithfield" (O. and M. 1677-Horwood, 1799).

Hatton (1708) says it was so called from its being in the east part of London, but this street certainly derived its name from the district of East Smithfield in which it was situated, and was so called to distinguish it from Lower East Smithfield, nearer the river.

Upper Thames Street

West from Fish Street Hill to Blackfriars (P.O. Directory). In -Bridge Ward Within, Dowgate, Vintry, Queenhithe, Castle Baynard, and Farringdon Within Wards.

First mention: Horwood, 1799.

Formerly formed part of Thames Street (q.v.).

Widened from Fish Street Hill to Eastcheap in 1838.

Roman wall found at a depth of 9 feet between Queenhithe and Lambeth Hill, also remains of pavements near Queenhithe, etc.

Upper Thames Street

West from Fish Street Hill to Blackfriars (P.O. Directory). In -Bridge Ward Within, Dowgate, Vintry, Queenhithe, Castle Baynard, and Farringdon Within Wards.

First mention: Horwood, 1799.

Formerly formed part of Thames Street (q.v.).

Widened from Fish Street Hill to Eastcheap in 1838.

Roman wall found at a depth of 9 feet between Queenhithe and Lambeth Hill, also remains of pavements near Queenhithe, etc.