Wind Mill Alley - Wingfield Place

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

Henry A Harben

Year published

1918

Supporting documents

Citation Show another format:

'Wind Mill Alley - Wingfield Place', A Dictionary of London (1918). URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63375 Date accessed: 20 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Wind Mill Alley

West out of Minories. In Portsoken Ward (O. and M. 1677).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

Name derived from the sign, or perhaps there may have been a windmill in the locality in early days.

Windagaine Lane

See Turnagain Lane.

Windgoose Court

See Wild Goose Court.

Windillow's Court

In Blackfriars (Strype, ed. 1755, and Boyle, 1799).

"Windelow's Court " in Dodsley, 1761.

Not named in the maps.

Windmill (The)

In Fleet Street, 1635 (L. and P. Chas. I. 1635, p.384).

No later mention.

Windmill Alley

East out of Shoe Lane, on the north side of the Windmill Inn, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).

Site now covered by warehouses, etc.

Named after the inn.

Windmill Court

East out of Pye Corner, Giltspur Street, in Farringdon Ward Without (P.C. 1732-L.C.C. List, 1912).

Former name: "Rosemary Lane" (O. and M. 1677).

Site now covered by the buildings of St. Bartholomew's Hospital.

Windmill Court

West out of Coleman Street, south of St. Stephen's Church. In Coleman Street Ward (O. and M. 1677-Boyle, 1799).

Site now occupied by offices and business houses.

It is suggested that the name is derived from the "sokam Sci Winwalli" near the church of St. Lawrence Jewry granted to Balliol College, Oxford, in 1293 (Price's Guildhall, p.42).

Windmill Court

South-west out of Snow Hill, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677-L. Guide, 1758).

Site now covered by Holborn Viaduct and its approaches.

Windmill Court, Old Jewry

East out of Old Jewry, in Coleman Street Ward (Strype, 1720).

First mention: "The Windmill," 1522 (Inventory, temp. H. VIII.).

An old tavern at the corner of Old Jewry and Lothbury.

Stow identifies the site with that of the house of the Fratres de Penitentia at the north corner of Old Jury.

The site is now occupied by offices and business houses.

Windmill Inn

On the east side of Shoe Lane, in Farringdon Ward Without (O. and M. 1677).

See Windmill Alley.

Windsor Court

West out of Monkwell Street at No. 40, in Farringdon Ward Within (det.) (P.O. Directory).

First mention: Strype, ed. 1720.

Part of the site is occupied by " Do-Little's Yard " in O. and M. 1677.

The name is derived from a large house which formerly occupied the site and belonged to Lord Windsor and previously to the Nevels, 19 Ric. II. (See S. 317), "Nevill's Inn."

Windsor Court

In Harp Alley in Little Knightrider Street (P.C. 1732-Boyle, 1799).

Not named in the maps.

Mentioned in 1883-7 (End. Ch. Rep. St. Mary Magdalen, Old Fish Street, 1902, p.11).

Rebuilt for offices and business houses.

Windsor House

See Nevill's Inn.

Windsor Street

East out of Sandy's Street, in Bishopsgate Ward Without (Lockie, 1810-O. S. 1880).

Former name: "Sandys Street" (P.C. 1732-Horwood, 1799).

Inscription on a house in the street " Windsor Street, 1734," which suggests the date of the change of name.

Removed for the extension and widening of Middlesex Street to Bishopsgate.

Wine Court

In Bishopsgate Street Without (W. Stow, 1722-Rev. of London, 1728).

Not named in the maps.

Wine Court

In Harp Ally in Little Knightrider Street (Rev. of London, 1728-P.C. 1732).

Not named in the maps.

Wine Licence Court

See Wine Office Court.

Wine Office Court

North out of Fleet Street, at No.145, to King's Head Court, Shoe Lane, which is now also called Wine Office Court (P.O. Directory). In Farringdon Ward Without.

First mention: O. and M. 1677

Called "Wine licence Court," 1758 (H. MSS. Com. 15th Rep. 96).

So named because the office for licences for selling wines was situated there (Archer, p. 398).

Wingfield Place

House of Sir Robert Wingfield, called " Wyngfeldes Place," besides Poolwys in Oldefyschstretes ende, 26 H. VIII. 1534 (L. and P. H. VIII. VII. 508).

Not further identified.