Is the last parish to be described in this hundred,
being situated the next north-west from that of Frittenden. So much of it as is in the north borough, the
boroughs of King's Franchise and Faircrouch, or
Lovehurst, is in the bailiwic of the Seven Hundreds,
and hundred of Cranbrooke; and another part of it is
in the hundred of Marden; all which above-mentioned
is in the lower division of the lath of Scray.
The residue of this parish is in the lath of Aylesford,
viz. that part of it which is in the hundred of Eyhorne,
and that part likewise called Detling borough, which
contains in it six or seven houses, is in the hundred of
The liberty of the court of the bailiwic of the Seven
Hundreds claims paramount over that part of this parish which is in the hundred of Cranbrooke, subordinate to which there are several small manors, or rather
manor farms in it. It is within the division of West
THE PARISH of Staplehurst, though healthy like its
neighbourhood, is, excepting the village of it, an unpleasant situation, having a gloomy and dreary appearance; the country is low, flat, and miry; the houses
dispersed at distances from each other, and along the
broad green swerds, and small forstals in it. The
stream which comes from Cranbrooke runs along the
southern boundary of it, as the Hedcorne stream to
wards Stylebridge does along the eastern and northern
parts of it. The soil is in general a wet clay, intermixed
with marle at different places, and in the southern part
of it some sand. The high road from Maidstone over
Cocksheath, and by Stylebridge to Cranbrooke and
Tenterden, leads through it, being like the rest of the
high roads in these parts fabricated of sand; the bye
roads are equally bad, and nearly impassable as the
neighbouring ones in wet weather and winter. There
is but very little wood in it.
The village, or street of Staplehurst, is built on each
side of the great road, at the 47th mile-stone from
London, being the only part of this parish which can
be called tolerably pleasant and dry, being situated on
the side of a hill, from the knoll of which it continues
to the bottom of it, having the church at the south end
of it, and the parsonage-house just below it. The
houses are mostly old-fashioned and large timbered;
most of them shops, but there are three or four good
modern built houses interspersed among them, which
stand pleasantly on the hill, having a fine view over the
The parish contains about eighty-eight houses, and
not quite a thousand inhabitants. The rents of it are
about 3000l. per annum. There are two meetinghouses; one for the Baptists, the other for the Presbyterians.
At the entrance of the village, on the hill, at a small
distance from the high road, on the east side of it, is a
large antient manor-house, called Loddenden, situated
within the borough of its own name. It was lately the
property of Mr. Edward Usborne, deceased, and now
of his widow, who lives in it.
THE MANOR OF STAPLEHURST was once part of
the possessions of the family of Fremingham, or Farningham, as they were usually called. John, son of
Ralph de Fremingham, of Lose, died in the 12th year
of king Henry IV. possessed of it, and leaving no issue,
he by will devised it to certain feoffees, who next year
assigned it over, according to the directions of it, to
John, son of Reginald de Pimpe, and his heirs male,
with remainder to Roger Isle, as being nearest of blood
John Pimpe died possessed of this manor in the 9th
year of king Henry V. and in his descendants it continued down to Reginald Pimpe, esq. who, about the
12th year of Henry VII. conveyed it by deed to John
Isley, esq His grandson Sir Henry Isley, (whose lands
were disgavelled by the act of 2 and 3 Edward VI.) together with his son William Isley, being both attainted
for the rebellion raised by Sir Thomas Wyatt, in the
1st year of queen Mary, their lands and estates became
forfeited to the crown, and Sir Henry was executed at
Sevenoke; but this manor staid with the crown but a
very small time, for the queen granted it that year, together with lands here, which had been formerly belonging to the abbey of Boxley, and on the suppression
of it had been granted by Henry VIII. to Sir Thomas
Wyatt, and come to the crown on his attainder at the
time above-mentioned, to Sir John Baker, her attorney general, in whose descendants they continued, in a
like succession as Siffinghurst, already described, in the
adjoining parish of Cranbrooke, till they were sold in
1752 to Galfridus Mann, esq. whose son Sir Horace
Mann, bart is the present owner of them.
NEWSTED is a manor in this parish, which was annexed to the free chapel erected here by Flamon de
Crevequer, and invested with several privileges; which
gift, with all its franchises, was confirmed to it in the
41st year of Edward III. (fn. 1) But this chapel, with all
others of the like sort, being suppressed, and their revenues given to the crown, by the act passed anno 1
Edward VI the king, not long afterwards, granted this
manor to Sir Edward Wotton, Knt. one of his privycouncil, in whose descendants it continued down to
Thomas, lord Wotton, who died in 1630, and before
his death had settled it in marriage upon his eldest
daughter and coheir married to Henry, lord Stanhope,
son and heir of Philip, earl of Chesterfield. After
which, she, by her feoffees in trust, passed it away to
Mr. Robert Oliver, of Leyborne, whose son, of the
same name, leaving an only daughter and heir Juliana,
she carried it in marriage to Edward Covert, esq. of
Sussex, who likewise left one daughter and heir, and
she marrying Mr. Henry Saxby, entitled him to it.
Soon after which it was alienated to Hales, and Mr.
James Hales, of Rochester, in 1730, conveyed it by
sale to Mr. Thomas Mercer, of Hawkhurst, whose
son Mr. William Mercer died possessed of it some few
years ago, and his son John Dunmoll Mercer, now of
Hawkhurst, is the present owner of it.
This estate consists of two farms, adjoining to each
other, called Great and Little Newsted, the latter of
which claims an exemption of tithes. On this farm are
the remains of a moat, and there is some appearance of
a building having antiently stood within it.
There has not been any court held for it for many
HENHURST, as it is now called, was in antient times
known more properly by the name of Engehurst, as appeared by some old dateless deeds relating to the bounds
of some lands in this parish, in which they were mentioned to be situated juxta terras Osberti de Henghurst
Supra dennam de Enghurst, and from this denne did that
antient family of Enghurst, or Henhurst, take the first
origin of its name, bearing for their arms, as appeared
by several seals, for their paternal coat, Barry, of six
pieces; and having continued in possession of this place
from the reign of Edward II. till that of Henry VI. at
length Henry Henghurst, in the 23d year of it, settled
it, by his feoffees in trust, on his kinsman John Nash,
in which name it continued in the reign of Henry VII.
and was then alienated to Sir William Kempe, of Ollantigh, sheriff anno 20 Henry VIII. and he died possessed of it at the latter end of that reign. His son Sir
Thomas Kempe, alienated it to Thomas Roberts, who
held it of the manor of West-court, in Detling, and
died possessed of it anno 5 and 6 Philip and Mary.
At length one of his descendants John Roberts, alienated it to Henry Moody, who died before the middle
of king James I.'s reign, and left an only daughter Sybell, who carried the manor of Henhurst in marriage
to Thomas Lusher, who, before 1634, had alienated
it to Samuel Hovenden, gent. who bore for his arms,
Chequy, argent, and sable, on a bend, gules, three lions
heads erased, or, and died soon after the death of king
Charles I. by one of whose daughters and coheirs Elizabeth, it was carried in marriage to Patrick Tyndall,
gent. whose son Thomas was possessed of it at the latter
end of the reign of Charles II. (fn. 2) His heirs alienated it
to Mr. John Love, whose grandson leaving an only
daughter and heir, she entitled her husband Mr. John
Waller to the possession of it; but the remainder, on
failure of issue by them, is vested in her kinsman Mr.
John Love, of this place.
SPILSILL-COURT was once, as appears by antient
deeds, the residence of a family of that name, who,
before the end of king Edward II.'s reign, were extinct
here, and it was become the property of Stangrave, of
Stangrave, in Eatonbridge; for Sir Robert de Stangrave, at his decease in the 12th year of Edward III.
held some estate at Spilsill, but about the end of that
reign the Maineys were become owners of it; in
which name it continued down to Walter Mayney, second son of John Mayney, esq. of Biddenden, who
kept his shrievalty here in the 13th year of queen Elizabeth. (fn. 3)
His descendant, in the reign of king James I.
sold it to Mr. John Sharpye, clothier, who resided
here, and died in 1613. His son, of the same name,
who died in 1617, left an only daughter Frances, married to Mr. George Thomson, of London, in whose
right he became possessed of it; and in his descendants
it continued till it was sold to Nicholas Toke, of
Maidstone, by whose daughter Constance it went in
marriage to Mr. William Usborne, gent. of this parish, descended of ancestors of long standing in these
parts, who bore for their arms, Quarterly, first, and
fourth, ermine, of five spots; second and third, azure, a
cross, or; (fn. 4) and his son Nicholas Toke Ulborne, gent.
now of Staplehurst, is the present owner of this estate.
AYDHURST, usually called Little Aydhurst, is a manor here, lying about three quarters of a mile north-west
from the church, the mansion of which has been some
time gone to ruin. It was formerly the property of the
family of Lambe, of Sutton Valence, one of whom,
Thomas Lambe, gent. possessed it in 1692, whose
daughter and heir carried it in marriage to Thomas
Peene, junior, and he sold it to Jeremy Parker, whose
descendant Augustine Parker, in 1752, passed it away
by sale to Mr. John Rawlins, of Maidstone, whose
widow Mrs. Rawlins, at her decease within these few
years devised it by her last will to Mr. George Prentice, timber-merchant, of that place, who is the present possessor of it.
There is no court held for this manor, which is held
of that of Sutton Valence, and is described in the rolls
by the name of part of the denne of Adburst.
WIDHURST, alias LOWER PAGEHURST, by which
latter name it is usually called, is a manor, situated at a
very small distance southward from that last described.
It was sometime since owned by Mayo, who devised
it by will to Mary his wife, for her life, and she having remarried Mr. John Philcocks, entitled him to it
for that time, but on her decease it became divided
in shares among her several children, and they are now
respectively entitled to it. A court baron is held for
LOVEHURST is a manor, which lies about a mile
and a quarter southward from Lower Pagehurst, and
is of somewhat more considerable account than those
last mentioned, giving name to a small borough in this
hundred. This manor was given among other premises, in the reign of Henry II. by Robert de Thurnham, by the description of all his land at Lofherste,
with its appurtenances, to the priory of Combwell, in
Goudhurst, at that time founded by him, (fn. 5) and it remained part of the possessions of it till the 27th year
of Henry VIII. when it was suppressed by the act then
passed, as not having revenues to the clear yearly value
of two hundred pounds.
This manor remained but a small time in the crown,
for the king, in his 29th year, granted it to Thomas
Culpeper, gent. to hold in capite by knight's service;
but he did not continue possessed of it long, for it appears by the escheat-rolls, that it was again in the
crown in the 34th year of that reign, when the king
granted this manor, with its appurtenances, to Sir
John Gage, to hold in like manner. He sold it to
Thomas Wilsford, esq. of Hartridge, whose son, of the
same name, had possession granted of it in the 7th
year of queen Elizabeth. Soon after which he a ienated it to Mr. John Baker, from which name it passed
in that name reign, to Stanley; at length, after some
intermediate owners, it came into the name of Johnson, one of which, about fifty years ago, gave it by
will to St. Bartholomew's hospital, in London, part
of the revenues of which it continues at this time.
The borough of Lovehurst has a court leet of itself,
holden at the manor of Loverhurst, and the inhabitants of it owe no service to the court leet for the hundred of Cranbrooke; but at this court leet of Lovehurst, a constable for that hundred may be chosen out
of this borough.
AT A SMALL DISTANCE from the south end of the
village of Staplehurst is Iden-green, on which stood,
till within these few years, the mansion of THE MANOR OF IDEN. This manor was formerly the property of Chiffinch, from one of which name it passed
to Brain Faussett, esq. of Heppington, whose son the
Rev. Mr. Bryan Faussett sold it, about twenty years
ago, to Mr. Thomas Simmons, gent. the present
owner of it.
There was a court held for this manor about seventy
years ago, on Iden-green, under an oak, and some
years afterwards in the mansion; but the oak being
felled, and the house taken down, none has been held
since, nor probably will be again.
MAPLEHURST and EXHURST, are two manors
here, which in antient times were of no small account,
the former of them being situated within the bounds
of one of those thirteen denberries which Kenewulf,
king of Mercia, and Cuthred, king of Kent, gave to
Wernod, abbot of St. Augustine's, Canterbury, at
the time he gave to that monastery the manor of
Lenham, being called in that grant Mapulterhurst.
This estate was in the reign of Edward I. in the possession of the family of St. Leger, and Thomas de St.
Leger, in the 29th year of that reign, had a grant of
free warren for his lands at Mapelherst; (fn. 6) and in his
descendants it continued till it was at length sold to
Roberts, or Robesart, one of which name. Sir Lewis
Robesart, died possessed of it in the 10th year of king
Henry VI. How long it continued in that name, or
who were the successive owners of it from that time,
I have not found; but in later times they both became the property of Speke, one of whom, in 1720,
sold them to David Papillon, esq. of Acrife, in this
county, whose son David Papillon, esq. late of that
place, is the present owner of it.
LANCELOT BATHURST gave by will in 1639, 150l. for the
support of a schoolmaster, to instruct the sons of the poor in
reading, writing, and accounts, which, with 40l. raised by the
contribution of the parishioners, purchased a farm, rented at 10l.
per annum, which the schoolmaster receives, and is obliged to
teach ten boys for it.
MAJOR JOHN GINBON, who was born and baptised in this
parish, gave by will in 1707, the remaining term in three Exchequer annuities of 70l. value (after the death of three relations)
to the churchwardens and overseers of this parish, for the educating of poor boys in reading, writing, and arithmetic, and
binding them apprentices to handicrafts and other trades. Phi.
lips Gibbon, esq. survivor of the three, dying in 1762, there
were then forty-two years to come unexpired, which being sold,
by virtue of a decree in chancery, and the money laid out in the
purchase of three per cent. consolidated annuities, produced a
dividend of 50l. per annum, which is applied by the trustees appointed by the said court, according to the testator's intention.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry
The church is dedicated to All Saints. It is a large
handsome building, consisting of two isles and two
chancels, having a tower steeple, with a beacon turret
at the west end, in which are five bells. On the outside of the steeple, over the west door, is a coat of
arms, viz. A lion, rampant; on the right side another
coat, impaled, but desfaced; on the left, one, being a
cross, engrailed, over a dormant window on the roof, on
the south side in the church, is a curious antient canopy or ceiling of woodwork, in square compartments,
on which are carved designs of three, such as
are used by clothiers, and a crown, and a portcullis,
&c. By the emblem of the sheers, it is supposed to
have been put up by some one exercising that trade.
The south chancel is said to have belonged to Spilsill
court, there is a tomb of Bethersden marble in it, on
which were the figures of a man between his two
wives, that on the left hand only remains; it probably belonged to one of the family of Mayney. In
the church-yard are several tomb stones for the family of Love, most of the inscriptions of which are
obliterated, and one for Edward Simmons, obt. 1735.
The earliest patron I find of this rectory is, John
Kempe, bishop of London, who died anno 4 king
Henry VII. possessed of one acre of land in this parish, with the advowson of the church of Staplehurst
annexed, held of the king, as of his manor of Marden, as was found by inquisition; and that Thomas
Kempe was his kinsman and next heir. He was of
Ollantigh, knight, and was the bishop's nephew, and
died possessed of it, holding it by the like tenure. His
son, of the same name, passed it away to Sir Richard
Baker, who was possessed of it in 1578, and he soon
afterwards sold it to Martin Culpeper, M. D. of Oxford, who, in the beginning of the next reign of king
James, alienated it to Robert Newman, S. T. P. in
whose descendants it continued several years; but in
the reign of Charles II. John Clayton, esq. was owner
of it; at length, about the time of queen Anne's
reign, it was sold to the master and fellows of St. John's
college, Cambridge, part of whose possessions it remains at this time.
It is valued in the king's books at 26l. 5s. 11d. and
the yearly tenths at 2l. 12s. 7d. In 1578 there were
four hundred and forty communicants here; in 1640,
five hundred and eight, when it was valued at 160l.
There is no glebe land belonging to the rectory
beside the scite of the house, garden, and forstal in
the front of it.
In the Lambeth registers are articles of agreement
between Robert Newman, clerk, D. D. rector, and
his parishioners, concerning tithes in 1604; and a further order by archbishop Abbot, concerning the same,
in 1607, in the library there, among the Cart. Miscell.
There are three farms in the borough of Lovehurst,
in this parish, which pay the rector a modus of one
shilling, in lieu of all tithes.
Church of Staplehurst.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Robert Newman, S. T. B. April
29, 1591, obt. 1612. (fn. 7) |
|Millicent, widow of said R. Newman, pro hac vice.||Robert Browne, A. M. Dec. 30,
1612, sequestered 1642. (fn. 8) |
|John Sloper, resigned 1645.|
|Robert Newman, gent.||Henry Keat, A. M. Dec. 15,
|Daniel Poyntell, ejected August,
1662. (fn. 9) |
|John Cleyton, esq.||Stephen Lowton, A. M. Nov. 7,
1662, obt 1684.|
|The Archbishop||Joseph Crowher, A. M. Aug. 27,
1684, obt. 1719.|
|Master, &c. of St. John's college,
Cambridge.||John Bowrell, S. T. P. Dec. 22,
1719, obt. 1752. (fn. 10) |
|Michael Burton, D. D. March 2,
1754, obt. March 3, 1759.|
|John Laylor, S. T. P. Aug. 20,
1759, obt. Dec. 29, 1784.|
|Thomas Thompson, A. M. 1785
obt. 1786. (fn. 11) |
|Henry Grove, A. M. 1786, the