The hundred of Selbrittenden
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1798

Page

157

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Selbrittenden: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 7 (1798), pp. 157. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63403 Date accessed: 21 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF SELBRITTENDEN

LIES the next eastward from that of Barkley. It is written in Domesday, Selebrist hundred, and afterwards in other antient records, Selebrichtindene. In the 20th year of Edward III. it is spelt Selbrightinden.

THIS HUNDRED CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISH OF
SANDHURST,

With the church, and part of the parishes of BENENDEN, HAWKHURST, and NEWENDEN, the churches of which are in other hundreds. One constable has jurisdiction over it.