USUALLY called High Halden, to distinguish it
from the manor of Halden, in Rolvenden, of eminent
account, and in antient records written Hathewolden,
lies the next parish north-eastward from Tenterden.
So much of it as is in the borough of Omenden, is in
the hundred of Barkley, and the residue in this hundred of Blackborne. The court of the bailiwic of the
Seven Hundreds claims over part of this parish, and
the manor of Lambyn, alias Halden, over other parts
THE PARISH of Halden is situated very obscurely,
in as unpleasant a part as any within this county; it
is about three miles long and two broad, and has
about one hundred houses in it. It is so little frequented as hardly to be known beyond its own neighbourhood. The village is nearly in the centre of the
parish, with the church and parsonage close to it on
the east side. The soil is a deep stiff clay. The turnpike road from Tenterden to Bethersden and Ashford,
leads through it, which, as well as the rest of the roads
throughout it, are hardly passable after any rain, being so miry, that the traveller's horse frequently
plunges through them up to the girths of the saddle;
and the waggons sinking so deep in the ruts, as to slide
along on the nave of the wheels and axle of them.
The roads are all of great breadth, from fifty to sixty
feet and more, with a breadth of green swerd on each
side; the hedges being filled with oak trees, whose
branches hang over to a considerable extent, and render the surface near them damp, and the prospect always gloomy. In some few of the principal roads, as
from Tenterden hither, there is a stone causeway about
three feet wide, for the accommodation of horse and
foot passengers; but there is none further on till
near Betheriden, to the great distress of travellers.
When these roads become tolerably dry in summer,
they are ploughed up and laid in a half circle to dry,
the only amendment they ever have. In extreme
dry weather in summer, they become exceedingly
hard, and by traffic so smooth as to seem glazed, like
a potter's vessel, though a single hour's rain renders
them so slippery, as to be very dangerous to travellers.
The country here is low, flat and dreary, and very
wet and miry, as is this whole hundred and the country northward of it, as far as the quarry hills; the
farm-houses and cottages are thinly scattered about,
and meanly built of timber and plaister. There is
a great deal of oak coppice wood interspersed throughout the parish, having many fine large trees of the
same kind in them.
At the west end of the village is a house, called
Halden-place, now belonging to Mr. James Blackmore, of Tenterden. Brickhill house, in this parish,
was for many years the seat of the Pauls, who bore
for their arms, Argent, two bars, azure, a canton, sable,
several of whom lie buried in this church-yard; the
last of them, Mr. Anthony Paul, died in 1758, without male issue, and his eldest daughter and coheir
Judith carried it in marriage to Mr. Henry Bagnall,
rector of Frittenden, on whose death in 1761, it became vested in his two daughters and coheirs; one of
them married Mr. H. Frend, rector of Frittenden,
and the other Mr. Bowles, of Linton, and they are
now entitled to it. Cranton-house, in the north west
part of it, now belongs to Mr. James Hassenden,
gent. of Tenterden, and there were formerly more
gentlemen's seats in this parish, all which are fallen to
decay, and there is not one now residing in it.
There is a large moat north-westward from the
church, which seems very antient; but there has never been any bricks, or any other marks of a building
having been here. The land of it was purchased of
the late Mr. James Hassenden, by the Rev. Mr. Hodson, of Sandhurst.
Edward Jordan, a learned physician, was born here,
and died in 1632. (fn. 1)
THERE ARE several subordinate Manors within
this parish, but there are no courts held for any of
them. One of them is TIFFENDEN, formerly written
Tepindene, situated in the southern part of this parish,
and was antiently of such note as to be recorded in
Domesday, which very few estates in these parts of
the Weald were. It was then part of the possessions
of Hugo de Montfort, under the general title of
whose lands it is thus entered in it:
In Blacheburne hundred, Hugo de Montfort himself
holds half a yoke in Tepindene, which Norman held of
king Edward, and it was taxed at half a yoke. There
are two villeins, with half a carucate. It was always
worth, and is worth one hundred pence.
Hugo de Montford, before-mentioned, was the
son of Thurstan de Bastenberg, a Norman, who accompanying the Conqueror, was with him at the
satal battle of Hastings, and for his services was rewarded with many lordships in different counties, and
among them with this of Tepindene. Robert his
grandson, in the 12th year of the reign of William
Rufus, favouring the title of Robert Curthose, in opposition to king Henry I. to avoid being called in
question, he obtained leave to go on a pilgrimage to
Jerusalem, leaving his possessions to the king; by
which means this manor came into the hands of the
crown. How it passed from thence afterwards, I
cannot find; but in much later times it came into
the possession of the family of Austen, of Tenterden, in which it remained till Sir Sheffield Austen,
bart. about forty years ago, alienated it, together with
a farm in Woodchurch, and a considerable quantity
of woodland, to Sir Windham Knatchbull, bart. of
Mersham, whose uncle and heir Sir Edward Knatchbull, bart. of that place, afterwards, as such, became
possessed of it, and his son of the same name is the
present owner of it.
The scite where the antient mansion stood, is still
visible, with a large moat round it, but there has been
no house on it for a great length of time.
THE OLD HOUSE, formerly called HALDENHOUSE, is situated at a small distance northward from
the church, which, though it was the habitation of
the Scots, of Halden, yet seems to have been the
property of the Maneys, one of whom, Sir Anthony
Maney, of Linton, appears to have demised to John
Scot, of this place, his capital house, with the park
and lands belonging to it, in this parish and Bethersden, for a term of years, with a covenant of renewal
for a further length of time, at forty marcs per ann.
John Scot before-mentioned, died possessed of this
seat in the 21st year of king Henry VI. His grandson
Henry Scot, of Halden, died here in 1512, and
was buried in the church porch, bearing for his arms,
Argent, a cross-plate, sitchee, sable. He left two sons,
of whom Henry, the eldest, succeeded him at Halden; and Thomas, the second son, marrying the
daughter and heir of Conghurst, of Hawkhurst, inherited that seat, where his posterity remained many
years. Henry Scot, the eldest son, from whom descended those of Hayes and Beckenham, resided here
in the reign of king James I. and in his descendants
it continued till Raynold Scot sold this seat, soon
after the death of king Charles I. to Sir Edward
Hales, knight and bart. whose descendant Sir Edward Hales, bart. sold it to John Jorden, and he
alienated it in 1673, to Mr. Thomas Marshall; several of which name lie buried in this church. At
length Mr. John Marshall, gent. of Tenterden, having mortgaged it to the Rev. Ralph Drake Brockman, he took possession of it. They died in 1781,
within a few days of each other; but letters having
passed between them, which were considered in law,
as binding upon the heirs of the former and the executors of the latter; the equity of redemption and see
of this estate was conveyed, in 1782, by Thomas and
William, the sons and coheirs of John Marshall, before-mentioned, to Mr. Brockman's executors, and
his son, James Drake Brockman, esq. of Beechborough, is the present owner of it.
HALES-PLACE is an antient well-timbered mansion, situated about a mile eastward from the church,
and is eminent for having been the original seat of the
family of Hales, in this county. Nicholas Hales was
resident here in the reign of Edward III. as were his
descendants till about the reign of Henry VI. when
they removed to the adjoining parish of Tenterden.
After which it seems to have continued in this family
till it was at length sold to Waterman, in whose de
scendants it remained down to Mr. Richard Waterman, who lately resided in it.
A FIELD OF THREE ACRES, called the Poons field, in this
parish, of the annual produce of 2l. 6s. has been applied for the
use of the poor from time immemorial.
A PIECE OF LAND at APLEDORE, the rent of which was regularly received and applied to the use of the poor till 1725, since
which the rent has been neither received nor acknowledged, but
is of the annual produce of 2s. 6d.
ONE MR TILDEN founded A CHARITY SCHOOL here. The
land with which it is endowed lies in Biddenden, of the value of
20l. per annum, and is vested in ten trustees. There are about
fifty scholars, of whom about fifteen are boarders, who are
taught reading and writing. The poor children of the parish are
The poor constantly relieved are about fifteen, casually thirty.
HALDEN is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, consists of two isles and three chancels. The steeple is at
the west end, the bottom of which is in form, five
parts of an octagon, which part of it is built of upright timber planks, set close to each other; the upper part is shingled, with a pointed top, it was built
in king Henry the VIth.'s reign. There are five
bells in it.
It is a rectory, and is part of the antient possessions
of the see of Canterbury, his grace the archbishop being the present patron of it. It is valued in the king's
books at 19l. 4s. 7d. the yearly tenths being 1l. 18s. 5½d.
In 1578 here were communicants two hundred and
twenty-six. In 1640 it was valued at eighty pounds
per annum. Communicants eighty. It is now in most
years of the yearly value of 160l. and in some 200l.
There are five acres of glebe land.
Church of Halden.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archbishop.||Paul Chapman, A. M. May 19,
1596, resigned 1600.|
|William Lawrie, A. M. July
26, 1600, obt. 1626.|
|Richard Taylor, A. M. Feb. 20,
1626. (fn. 2) |
|John Craford, clerk, obt. 1683.|
|John Walker, clerk, A. M. June
15, 1683, obt. 1689.|
|Abraham Walter, A. M. July 1,
1689. obt. 1712.|
|Francis Jeffrys, LL.B. Nov. 8,
1712, resigned 1713.|
|Thomas Payne, A. M. Oct. 19,
1713, obt. 1759. (fn. 3) |
|Benjamin Burridge, Oct. 29,
1759, obt. March 17, 1780.|
|Daniel Wilcox, A. M. Sept. 8,
1780, the present rector.|