The hundred of Aloesbridge
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1799

Page

375

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Aloesbridge: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 375. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63499 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF ALOESBRIDGE

LIES the next southward from that of Ham lastdescribed. It is written in Domesday both Adilovtesbrige and Adelovesbridge, and in other antient records, Alolvesbridge. Somner thinks it probable that it took its name from some great person, called Alofe, a name frequent both in Domesday and other records, as the possessor of estates in this part of it at the time of the Saxons and afterwards.

IT CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISHES OF
1. SNARGATE.
2. FAIRFIELD.
3. BROOKLAND.
4. BRENSET; and
5. SNAVE in part.

And the churches of those parishes, and likewise part of the parishes of IVECHURCH and NEWCHURCH, the churches of which are in other hundreds. One constable has jurisdiction over it. The whole of it lies within the levels of Romney and Walland Marshes.



<--Previous:
Parishes:
Warehorne