LIES the next parish westward, in the level of
Walland Marsh, and in the jurisdiction of the justices
of the county.
The PARISH, far different from what its name
seems to imply, is a most forlorn and dreary place, and
is seemingly the sink of the whole Marsh. It consists
of an open level of marsh-land, unsheltered and without a hedge or tre throughout it. It lies very low,
the eastern part especially, which, for the space of several hundred acres, is overflowed in winter, and becomes one great sheet of water, and the rest of the
year is a swamp, covered with flags and rushes, which
is in great measure owing to the mismanagement of
the sewers, and though the landholders have lately
been put to a very considerable expence, for the drainage of this level, they have not yet, nor in all likelihood ever will, reap any kind of advantage from it.
The church stands on a little rise in this part of it,
and is so surrounded by those swamps, that for the
greatest part of the year it is to be approached only in
a boat, or on a horse, passing with great danger
through them up to the saddle girts. The western
part, in which is the court-lodge, lies rather higher,
and the land is much more fertile and dry.
William Sellyng, a man of great reputation for his
wisdom and learning, who was elected prior of Christchurch anno 13 Edward IV. and died anno 10 king
Henry VII. is said by his wife management, though
not without great expence, to have prevailed on all
persons, having lands at Apuldre and Fayrefeld,
within the danger of the sea, to contribute towards the maintaining of the banks and fences to keep
it out, for before the burthen lay altogether on the
church, and was become an intolerable expence to it.
The MANOR OF FAIRFIELD, written in antient
records Feyrsfelde, was, together with the church, as
early as king Henry III.'s reign, for I find no particular mention of the time when it was given, part of
the possessions of the priory of Christ-church, in Canterbury, during which time, in king Henry the VIIth.'s
reign, prior Thomas Goldstone erected a new courtlodge, being a convenient mansion, on it, (fn. 1) in which
state it continued till the dissolution of the priory, in
the 31st year of king Henry VIII. (fn. 2) when it came into
the king's hands, where it did not remain long, for
the king settled it by his dotation charter, in his 33d
year, on his new-erected dean and chapter of Canterbury, part of whose possessions it still remains.
The demesne lands of this manor, being of the rack
rent of about 1000l. per annum, have been from time
to time demised by the dean and chapter on leases for
three lives, the right hon. Geo. Augustus, earl of Guildford having the present interest in the lease vested in him.
A court baron is held yearly by the dean and chapter for this manor.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly
maintained are about ten, casually seven.
THIS PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Thomas,
(Becket) the martyr, is very small, and built of brick.
It consists of one isle and one chancel, having a low
pointed wooden turret at the west end, in which hangs
one bell. The church seems to be but of very modern
date. There is only one memorial in it, at the west
end of the isle, for Mr. John Beale, of Fairfield, obt.
1775. It appears by the several burials in it, mentioned in the wills in the Prerogative-office, Canterbury, to have been formerly much larger, and to have
had a ring of bells in it.
The church of Fairfield, which is exempt from the
jurisdiction of the archdeacon, has always been an
appendage to the manor. It was appropriated by
archbishop Edmund, in the 23d year of Henry III.
anno 1238, to the almonry of the priory of Christchurch, and on the dissolution of it was granted, with
the manor, by king Henry VIII. to the dean and
chapter of Canterbury, who are the present possessors
of the appropriation, as well as the patronage of this
The church is now esteemed as a perpetual curacy,
and is of the yearly certified value of fifty pounds,
which sum is, by covenant in the lease from the dean
and chapter of the demesne lands of the manor, paid
by the lessee, who has likewise by it the nomination to
the curacy. In 1588 here were thirty-eight communicants.
Church of Fairfield.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The lessees of the demesne lands
under the Dean and Chapter.||William Smith, A. M. Nov.
|Joseph Wilcocks, August, 1713. (fn. 3) |
|William Stockwood, resigned.|
|John Arnald, A. B. June 1728,
resigned 1734. (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Cobb, A. B. July 1734,
obt. 1797. (fn. 5) |
|Richard Kelshe, 1797, the present curate.|