LIES the next parish south-westward from Snave.
It is written in antient deeds Eveychurch, taking its
name from its watry situation. The eastern part is in
the hundred of St. Martin, and level of Romney
Marsh, and within the liberty and jurisdiction of the
justices of it. So much of it as is upon the Rheewall, which crosses it, is in the liberty of the town and
port of New Romney and of the cinque ports, and
separates that part of the hundred above-mentioned
from the remainder, being the western part of it, lying in Walland Marsh, which, together with a small
part of it in the hundred of Aloesbridge, is within
the jurisdiction of the justices of the county.
This PARISH is in appearance much like the adjoining ones in the Marsh. It is about eight miles
long from east to west, extending over the Rhee wall
across Walland Marsh to the boundary of this county
at Kent Dyke, but it is very narrow, at some places
not half a mile, and at others not more than a mile
and an half across it. The church stands at the east
end of it, in the level of Romney Marsh. The village
is near it, consisting of about twenty houses. The
whole parish is an entire flat of marshes, without a
tree or hedge among them. The lands are not much
more fertile than those of the parishes last-described,
excepting that part in Walland Marsh, where, like
more fertile than those of the parishes last-described,
most of the rest of it, they are very rich in soil.
The MANOR of Aldington claims over the greatest
part of this parish, but a small part is within the manor of Ickham, near Canterbury. Subordinate to the
former of these manors is that of.
MORE COURT, called likewife the manor of Court
at More, which name it took from the family of More,
the antient possessors of it, lying in that part of this
parish within the level of Walland Marsh, at no great
distance westward from the Rhee-wall. This family
of More, or De la More, as they were at first written,
had been seated here as early as king Henry II.'s reign.
At length in king Edward III.'s reign, on the marriage of Thomas de la More with a daughter and heir
of Benenden, they removed to Benenden, having by
that alliance become possessed of lands in that and several of the adjoining parishes. At length his descendant Walter Moore, of Moore court, in Benenden,
at the latter end of king Henry VII.'s reign, alienated this manor to John Taylor, gent. of Shadoxhurst, whose two grandsons, William and John Taylor, gent. becoming jointly entitled to it about the 2d
year of king Edward VI. (as appears by an exemplification formerly in the hands of the family) immediately afterwards passed it away to Peter Godfrey,
gent. of Lid, who died possessed of it in the 9th year
of queen Elizabeth, anno 1566, and was succeeded
in it by his son Thomas Godsrey, esq. of Lid, (fn. 1) in
whose descendants it continued down to Mr. Chamberlaine Godfrey, who died possessed of it in 1766 unmarried, and was buried at Wye, upon which this
estate passed by his will to Mr. Joseph Pinsold, who
died possessed of it at the latter end of the year 1787,
leaving the inheritance of it to his son Mr. Charles
Pinsold, who is now entitled to it.
CAPELLS-COURT is an estate in this parish, which
took its name from a family of that surname, fre
quently written in antient time, At Capell, and in Latin, de Capella, who originally resided at it, though
they were possessed of lands likewise elsewhere, in disferent parts of this county. John de Capell, who lived
in king Henry II.'s reign, appears by the leiger book
of Boxley abbey, to have been a good benefa ctor to
it. His descendant Richard at Capell, son of Sir
William, died possessed of this estate of Capells-court
in the 15th year of king Richared II. S. p. Not long
after which it went, by a female heir, into the family
of Herlackenden, of Woodchurch, in which it remained till Deborah, daughter and heir of Martin
Herlackenden, carried it in marriage to Sir Edward
Hales, knight and baronet, with much other inheritance, and in his descendants it continued down to
Sir Edward Hales, bart. of St. Stephen's; but it
now belongs to the heirs of Mr. John Bexhill.
CHENE COURT, now usually called Cheyn-court,
is a manor in the western part of this parish, in the
level of Walland Marsh, which though now divided
into separate estates, and in the hands of different
owners, was once, the whole of it, parcel of the antient
possessions of the see of Canterbury, and remained so
till archbishop Cranmer, in the 31st year of king
Henry VIII. exchanged it with the king for other
premises, (fn. 2) and it continued in the crown till king Edward VI. in his 7th year, granted it to Sir Thomas
Cheney, treasurer of his houshold, whose son and heir
Henry, afterwards created Lord Cheney, of Todington, alienated it to Richard Springham, William Bird
and Thomas Aldersey, who joined in the sale of the
manor itself, which from that time acquired the name of
Old Chene-court, to Roberts, of Glassenbury, in
which name it staid some time, and till at length it
was alienated to Russell, whose only daughter and heir
Mary carried it in marriage to John Knowler, esq.
recorder of Canterbury, who died possessed of it in
1763, leaving two daughters his coheirs, of whom
Anne, the eldest, married Henry Penton, esq. of Winchester, and Mary, the youngest, Henry, lord Digby,
and they, in right of their wives, became entitled to
it, which they joined in the sale of in 1793, to Mr.
Thomas Gascoyne, of Bapchild, who alienated it in
1796, to Mr. William Baldock, of Canterbury, who
passed it away the same year to William Deedes, esq.
of Hythe, the present owner of it.
But the DEMESNE LANDS of the manor, since
known by the name of New Cheney-court, were alienated anno 9 Elizabeth, by Springham, Bird and Aldersey, to Richard Knatchbull, esq. of Mersham, who
died possessed of them in 1590, without surviving issue, so that Sir Norton Knatchbull, his half-brother,
became his heir, who likewise left no issue, so that
this, among the rest of his estates, came to his nephew
and heir Norton, eldest son of his next brother Thomas, who was afterswards knighted, and created a baronet, in whose descendants, baronets, seated at Mersham, it has continued down to Sir Edward Knatchbull, bart. of Mersham Hatch, the present owner of
But a part of the DEMESNE LANDS of this
manor, parcel of New Cheyney-court above-mentioned, were given by Sir Thomas Knatchbull, at his
death in 1711, to Catherine his daughter, who married Sir George Rooke, vice admiral of England, and
afterwards gained the name of Little Cheney-court.
He died possessed of this estate in 1708, and she afterwards re-marrying the hon. Dr. Henry Moore, entitled him to it. Since which it became by purchase
from Beale, the property of Thomas Blackmore, esq.
of Hertfordshire, whose son of the same name is now
entitled to it.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about six, casually twenty.
IVECHURCH is within the ecclesiastical jurisdiction of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is exempt from the jurisdiction
of the archdeacon, is dedicated to St. George. It is
a large handsome building of sand stone, consisting of
three isles and a chancel, none of which are ceiled,
having at the west end a tower steeple with a beacon
turret. In the tower there are five bells and a clock.
There are no monuments or memorials in it, nor any
remains of painted glass now lest in the windows of
it. But in one of them, under the coat armour of
Capell, Sable, a cbevron counter-embattled, argent, was
formerly this legend, Orate, o aia Hen. atte Capela miltis— and another like coat, with the figure of a knight
habited in armour, kneeling on a cushion, and this legend, Orate p aia Jacobi Capel miltis—but the whole
of them has been long since destroyed.
This church was parcel of the antient possessions of
the see of Canterbury, (fn. 3) and remains so at this time, his
grace the archbishop being the present patron of it.
It is a rectory, valued in the king's books at
44l. 16s. 8d. and the yearly tenths at 4l. 9s. 8d. In
1588 it was valued at one hundred and seventy pounds,
communicants one hundred and nine. In 1640 it was
valued at two hundred and fifty pounds, communicants only fifty-four. There are eleven acres of glebe
In the petition of the clergy, beneficed in Romney
Marsh, in 1635, often mentioned before, and more
particularly under Burmarsh, for setting aside the
custom of two-pence an acre for tithe-wool and pasturage throughout the Marsh, an acquittance given
by the rector of this parish in 1621, was produced as
a proof of the custom of it here.
There is a modus of one shilling per acre on all the
grass-lands in this parish, and there are several sums of
money paid as antient compositions for lands in it, in
particular for New Cheney-court, belonging to Sir
Edward Knatchbull, bart.
Church of Ivechurch.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archbishop.||Henry Wayland, obt. 1614.|
|John Sandford, obt. Sept. 24,
1629 (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Jackson. S. T. P. 1629,
obt. Nov. 1646. (fn. 5) |
|John Banks, A. M. 1647. (fn. 6) |
|Alexander Burnett, 1662, vacated
1663. (fn. 7) |
|Dean and Chapter of Canterbury,
sede vac.||Robert Boys, S. T. P. inducted
|The Archbishop.||Edward Ladbrooke, A. M. Dec.
1666, obt 1676.|
|Obadiah Brookesbye, 1676.|
|Nicholas Battely, A. M. August
1685, obt. May 19, 1705, (fn. 8) |
|Elias Sydall, S. T. P. June,
1705, vacated July 1731. (fn. 9) |
|The Crown, jure preg.||George Jordan, presented Aug.
1731, obt. Oct. 26, 1754. (fn. 10) |
|The Archbishop.||Henry Heaton, B. D. Nov. 1754,
obt. July 8, 1777. (fn. 11) |
|Bladen Downing, LL. B. Nov.
1777, resigned 1789. (fn. 12) |
|Anthony Hammond, 1789, the
present rector. (fn. 13) |