ST. MARIES, near NEW ROMNEY.
CALLED likewise St. Maries church, lies the next
parish south-eastward from Ivechurch, and is to called
to distinguish it from the several other parishes called
likewise St. Maries indifferent parts of this county.
It lies in the level of Romney Marsh, and within the
liberty and jurisdiction of the justices of it. Part of
it is in the hundred of St. Martin's Pountney, and
the residue in that of Newchurch.
There is but little worthy of notice in this parish, the lands of which are an entire slat of marsh
grounds, without either a hedge or tree among them.
There is no village, but there are about nine or ten
houses interspersed about in the parish, which is much
the same in appearance as the neighbouring ones of
Newchurch and Eastbridge already described. Near
the southern bounds of this parish there is an estate,
called Broadnax, from its once having been for a length
of time the property of that family. It lately belonged to Mr. Odiarne Coats, of New Romney, whose
heir, Mr. Wm. Coats, now possesses it.
The MANORS of HONICHILD and BLACKMANSTONE claim over the greatest part of this parish.
Subordinate to the former the family of Criol formerly
possessed an estate of some consequence within the
bounds of it, now known by the name of the Shooters
land, of which John de Criol died possessed anno 49
Edward III. and from him it devolved at length by
succession to Sir Thomas Keriel, for so their name was
then in general spelt, who was slain anno 38 king
Henry VI. in the battle of St. Albans. Alice his
daughter and coheir, carried this estate in marriage to
John Fogge, esq. of Repton, afterwards knighted,
whose son Sir Thomas Fogge, sergeant-porter of Calais in the reigns of king Henry VII. and VIII. leaving no male issue, it went by his will to Geo. Fogge,
esq. of Braborne, who alienated it to Gervas Carkeridge, who held it in capite, at his death anno 18 queen
Elizabeth. (fn. 1) His son Thomas Carkeridge, of Maidstone, by his will in 1640, devised one part of it to
Amy his wife, daughter of Arthur Franklyn, gent. of
Wye, and the residue to Walter Franklyn and Mary
his wife, whose son Thomas Franklyn, of Stockbury,
became possessed of the whole of this estate, which he
sold in 1692 to Thomas Young, esq. of Ashford,
whose son Peter leaving an only daughter and heir
Sarah, she in 1777 carried it in marriage to the Rev.
Edward Norwood, of Ashford, the present owner
There is another considerable estate in this parish,
the mansion of which stands near the church, and extends into the parish of Blackmanstone, which seems
to have been formerly part of the demesnes of the
manor of Blackmanstone, and to have come in like
manner with it to the family of Hales, in which it
continued till Sir Edward Hales, bart. of St. Stephen's, not much more than thirty years ago, passed
it away by sale to Sir Peter Denis, created a baronet,
and at the time of his death, in 1778, vice-admiral of
the red. He was of French extraction, being the son
of the Rev. Jacob Denis, of that kingdom, who had
settled at Chester. Sir Peter was the youngest but
one of twelve children, and being bred up in the royal
navy, by his gallant behaviour was rewarded with the
rank he bore in it, and with the title of baronet. He
bore for his arms, Argent, a chevron engrailed, between
three steurs de lis, gules. (fn. 2) He left no issue, and this
estate was soon afterwards, in pursuance of his will,
alienated by his executors to Mr. James Haffenden,
of Tenterden, whose heirs now own it.
There are no parochial charities. The poor constantly relieved are about four, casually three.
This PARISH is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Mary, consists of three isles and one chancel, having a pointed
turret steeple at the west end, in which hang three bells.
It is very neat and kept clean. In the middle isle, on
a stone is the figure of a woman in brass, with an inscription for Matilda Jamys, mother of William Gregory, obt. 1499. On another, the figure of a man, in
brass likewise, for William Gregory, obt. 1502. Several memorials for the Rolfe's, of New Romney. In
the south isle is a memorial for Peter Blechenden, ob.
1756. There are several memorials for the Pilchers,
of New Romney, arms, first and south, A fess, dancette, between three balls; second and third, Chequy,
on a bend, three mullets. In the church-yard, near the
Porch south-east, is an antient tomb, coffin-shaped,
about a foot high from the ground.
This church was part of the antient possessions of
the see of Canterbury, and continues so at this time,
his grace the archbishop being the present patron of it.
It is a rectory, valued in the king's books at 23l. 3s. 9d.
and the yearly tenths at 2l. 6s. 4½d. In 1588 it was
valued at eighty pounds, communicants fifty-one.
In 1640 the ame
In the petition of the clergy, beneficed in Romney
Marsh, in 1635, for setting aside the custom of twopence an acre in lieu of tithe-wool and pasturage, a
full account of which has been given before under
Burmarsh, several compositions were proved to have
been made with the rectors of this parish, wherein
they agreed, that two pence an acre was the custom
for those tithes, and that prohibitions had been obtained in the ecclesiastical courts upon that, modo decimandi, and the suggestion there proved.
There is a modus of one shilling an acre on all grass
lands in this parish.
Church of St. Maries.
|Or by whom presented.|
|The Archbishop.||William Richards, July 10, 1612,
|Henry Whitworth, A. B. June
13, 1617, resigned 1627.|
|Thomas Tailler, A. M. May 12,
1627, resigned 1630.|
|Meric Casaubon, S. T. P. Dec.
24, 1630, resigned 1634. (fn. 3) |
|John Gee, in 1635, obt. 1639. (fn. 4) |
|William Hawkins, A. M. Sept.
13, 1639, obt. 1674.|
|Simon Bayly, A. M. May 19,
1674, obt. 1679.|
|Henry Hurt, A. B. Sept. 5, ob.
|Edward Wace, A. B. Aug, 13,
1700, obt. 1723.|
|Robert Kelway, A. M. April 3.
1723, obt. April 3, 1759. (fn. 5) |
|William Marsh, A. M. 1759.
the present rector. (fn. 6) |