APPENDIX. TO VOLUME VII.
Boughton under the Blean.
LINE 20. GUSHEORNE, or GUSHMERE, was purchased
a few years ago by John Lade, esq. of Canterbury, the present owner of it,
Line23. Fairbrook now belongs to Elizabeth Farewell
Slodden, widow, of Canterbury.
PAGE 3. Mrs. Marsh, widow of Terry Marsh, esq. now
resides in her late husband's house in Boughton-street.
PAGE 6, line14 The payment to Harbledown hospital
from the manors of Boughton and Reculver, was altered by
archbishop Islip in 1355, who ordered it to be paid out of
the parsonage of Reculver, the value of which becoming inadequate to the sum, it is now paid as the archbishop's alms
out of the revenues of the see.
PAGE 8, linefrom the bottom. For Maryread Margaret.
PAGE 9, lineI. Nathaniel Jarman is deceased, and the
estate of Brenley belongs one moiety to his sister Margaret
Jarman, and the other to his sons.
Line28. BOUGHTON-COURT has now the same owners
as Brenley above-mentioned.
PAGE II. Mr. Hawkins's eldest daughter married Francis Curson, of Waterperry, in Oxfordshire, formerly Roper,
eldest son of the hon. Francis Roper, son of Henry, lord
Teynham. He changed his name to Curson, pursuant to
the will of his uncle Mr. Curson, of that place.
PAGE 12. COLKINS. Mrs. Lambert, at her death, devised it to trustees for sale, and they sold it to Lewis, lord
Sondes, whose son the right hon. Lewis-Thomas, lord
Sondes, now owns it.
PAGE 13. SCARBUTS belongs now to the heirs of the
late Terry Marsh, esq.
PAGE 17, line 16. Mr. Lade has demised the parsonagehouse by lease to Collet Mawhood, esq. who resides in it.
PAGE 19. For Charles More read Moore, and to notew
add he is one of the six preachers of the cathedral of Canterbury.
PAGE 19, line 16 From the bottom. The house built by
Mr. Squire is called Besborough house.
PAGE 33, line 8 From the bottom. Mrs. Blaxland, whose
maiden name was Kennett, the widow of Mr. John Blaxland, now resides at Graveney-court.
PAGE 39, line 14, add on Shottenton hill there has lately
been a telegraph erected under the direction of the hon. and
reverend lord George Murray. There are some good orchards and hop plantations in this parish, the soil being very
friendly for them, and in an excellent state of cultivation,
and the land in general lets from 15s. to 20s. per acre in the
more fertile parts of it. The parish is very healthy, and being diversified with fine gentle hill and date is very pleasant.
Line19. For Manhood read Mawhood.
Line 22. Mr. Mapleton's house is usually called Canister
Last line. Hanville-green and Harefield, are, I am informed, great part, if not all, in Sheldwich parish.
PAGE 42, line 22. For Daras read Duras.
PAGE 44, line8. OVENS-COURT was bought by the late
Lewis, lord Sondes, and was purchased under his will by
his eldest son, the present right hon. Lewis-Thomas, lord
There is another estate, the house of which is in this parish, part probably formerly of the before-mentioned, called
Little Ovens, which belonged to the late William Drake,
esq. of Amersham, in whose heirs it is now vested. Lord
Sondes has contracted for the purchase of it, but so many
events may happen before it can be conveyed, that it may
probably never take place.
PAGE 45, line4 From the bottom. Mr. Sawbridge has sold
Rhodes-court to Mr. Golding, a hop-factor in the borough,
who now owns it.
PAGE 47, line 13. All the estates which were purchased
by the late lord Sondes, were sold under his will for the benefit of his younger children, and were as such purchased by
the present Lewis-Thomas, lord Sondes.
PAGE 52, line7 From the bottom. For patronage read parsonage.
PAGE 53, line 8. For werereadare.
PAGE 55, line 27. For fermee read Formee.
PAGE 57,line7From the bottom. SHIPHURST is now
the property of Messrs. Tyler and John Twort, and Mr.
PAGE 62, line 14. For colleaguesread colleges.
PAGE 63, line 22. For now read late.
PAGE 66, line 21. BRICKWALL-HOUSE, since the Rev.
Thomas Bathurst's death it has come to the Rev. Richard
Bathurst, of Rochester, the present owner of it.
PAGE 69,line8. After Alexander Colepeper,adda
Comma stop only.
Last line but one. BOKINGFOLD was sold by the Rev.
Thomas and Richard Bathurst to John Austen, esq. of
Goudhurst, the present possessor of it.
PAGE 72, line 22. For now read late the Rev. Thomas
Bathurst being deceased.
Line 28. FINCHCOCKS has been sold by Mr. Bathurst to
Robert Springett, gent. who resides in it.
PAGE 74, line7. For Bayhaliread Bayhall.
PAGE 87, lineII. The lease of the parsonage-househas
been sold by Mr. Bathurst to Mr. William Hazelden, who
is the present lessee.
PAGE 93. THE TWON OF CRANBROOKE is much improved in buildings, since lately a house on one side of the
street was purchased from the vicarage by private tradesmen.
The repairs of it being a perpetual incumbrance to so small
a living, the archbishop procured an exchange of it for lands
elsewhere, under an act of parliament. There are about
two thousand acres of wood land in the parish. The inhabitants, I am informed, are now computed at about four
thousand. The congregation at church in summer is frequently fifteen hundred.
PAGE 94, line 6. William Weston, esq. now resides at
PAGE 97, line12. Mr. Charles Nairn is since deceased,
and his widow now possesses this estate.
Line 25. FRIZLEY. George Children lately sold this
estate to Mr. John Collens, of Goudhurst.
PAGE 98, line17. Mr. Smart's estate is called Little
Angley, and is now occupied by him.
Line 18. For HARTRIDE readHARTRIDGE.
Line 25. For descendant read descendants.
PAGE 99, line 9 from the bottom. For HOCKREDGE read
PAGE 103, line7from the bottom. The house at Milkhouse-street,late Mr. Nairn's, is now occupied by his widow.
PAGE 104, line 4 from the bottom. For Eltham read
PAGE 106,line7from the bottom. BUCKHURST was sold
by Pearce to Thomas Adams, esq. and by him again to John
Austen, esq. of Goudhurst, who now possesses it.
PAGE 107, line 12. GREAT SWIFTS has been sold by
Thomas Adams, esq. to John Austen, esq. of Goudhurst,
formerly a major in the army, and is intended for his residence.
PAGE 108. The lands belonging to the free grammar
school are about one hundred and seventy acres. Bishop
Hoadley's father was once master of this school.
PAGE 109, line 23. For Bouchierread Bourchier.
PAGE 111, line 20. Mrs. Nairn, wife of Mr. Nairn, of
London, optician, is the present lessee of the parsonage.
PAGE 117, line 12. Peasridge manor was sold by the
Weston family to Joseph Wetherden, who again sold it to
Mr. Thomas Oliver, of Taywell, in Goudhurst, the present
owner of it.
PAGE 117, last line. For Spears readPears.
PAGE 118, line15. The advowson of the rectory of Frittenden is now vested in Mrs. Bowles, wife of Mr. John
Bowles, of Linton, late Anne Bagnall, and her sister Elizabeth.
PAGE 120, last line but5from the bottom.LoddendenMr.
Nicholas Toke Usborne now owns and resides in it.
PAGE 123, line 24. Henhurst now belongs to Mr.
Thomas Watson, surgeon, of Staplehurst.
PAGE 124, last line but 4from the bottom. Mr. George
Prentice is dead, and his heirs now possess it.
PAGE 125, line6. Lower Pagehurst is now come
into the possession of Mr. Stephen Walter and Mr. John Amhurst, both of Marden.
PAGE 126,line17. Iden has since become vested in
Mr. John Simmons and Mr. William Spong, both of Staplehurst, who now own it.
PAGE 127,line 8. Maplehurst is now become the
property by sale of Mr. William Spong above-mentioned,
of Staplehurst, who lives at it, and Exhurst belongs to the
Rev. Harry Grove, rector of this parish.
PAGE 134, line16. John Hooker, esq. of Broadoak,
died in 1799, possessed of Allards, and his heirs now possess it.
PAGE 136, line 6. The Rev. Herbert Randolph is
S.T.P. prebendary of Bristol, and rector of Bradford, in
PAGE 141. Mr. Warburton, in 1798, vacated this rectory for the vicarage of Lid, and was succeeded here by the
Rev. Edward Nares, A. M. the present rector.
PAGE 147, line10. Samuel Boys, esq. died without male
issue, and his brother Wm. Boys, esq. is the present owner
Line 21. Lilsden, on the death of Mr. Chittenden,
come to his nephew John Osborne, esq. the present possessor
Line 31. Mr. Elford's house is called Elin hill.
PAGE 148, line 6. Hawkhurst, alias New Lodge,
has been sold by Mr. Baker to Thomas Redford, esq. who
now owns it.
Line 12. Hawkhurst-place, on the death of Mr.
Peckham, came to his nephew John Micklethwaite, esq. the
present possessor of it.
PAGE 149, last line but 4. Tongs has been sold by David Langton, esq. to Frederick Wilson, esq. who now owns it.
PAGE 151, last line but 8. From the Fosters Hockeridge
went by purchase to Mr. Richard Winch, whose heirs are now entitled to it.
PAGE 152, line 6. Mr. Penton and lord Digby joined
in the sale of Pixes-hall to Mr. Richard Winch, whose heirs
now possess it.
PAGE 157, at top. Under the church of Hawkhurst
PAGE 159, last line but 8 from the bottom. Frenchurst
belongs now to Mr. James (son of John) Collins, and
Hernden manor, since the death of John Peckham, esq.
is become the property of his nephew John Micklethwaite,
Line3from the bottom. Silverden is now become by purchase the estate of John Blackburn, esq. and Upper and Lower
Boxhurst now belong to Mr. Joseph Fowle.
PAGE 183. The Rev. Mr. Dunn, vicar, died Nov. 23,
PAGE 191. Keinsham, late Mr. William Gibbs's, is
come by purchase to James Monypenny, esq. who now
PAGE 204, line 9 from the bottom.Craythorne-househas
been bought of Mr. Sawyer's assigness by Mrs. Elizabeth
Luckhurst, and the now possesses it.
PAGE 205, line 4.The Whitfield house now belongs to
Messrs. Curteis and Roberts, in right of their wives, whose
names were Constable, and were daughters of Sir Robert
PAGE 208, line 3. HERONDEN has been purchased by
Mr. Richard Curteis, of Tenterden, who now owns it; and
Pixwell, which is in this parish, has been purchased by Mr.
John Morphett, of Tenterden, who is the present possessor
PAGE 209, line22. LIGHTS, with the manor of Ashenden, by which latter name the house is called, was devised
by Mr. William Children to George Children, esq. of Tunbridge, who sold it to Mr. Robert Curteis, jun. of Tenterden, who now resides in it.
PAGE 210, line 7. FINCHDEN. I am informed that
Mr. William Finch, who died in 1794, left an only son and
heir of the same name, who sold it to Mr. Robert Godden,
and he now resides in it.
PAGE 212. KENCHILL on the death of Mr. William
Mantell, in 1789, descended to his five daughters, who with
their mother now enjoy it; and Dumborne was sold by the
Rev. Mr. Mantell to Mr. Baldock, of Canterbury, and by
him again to Mr. Musgrave Hopley, of Renterden, who sold
in to Mr. Geo. Curteis, of the same place, and he now owns it.
PAGE 219, line 1. For 1727 read 1627.
PAGE 224, line 3. For plate read patee.
PAGE 230, line 7 from the bottom. THE PLACE-HOUSE,
together with the woodland belonging to the estate in 1795,
was by Mrs. Byrche, in conjunction with Mr. and Mrs.
Brydges, of Denton, sold to Messrs. Avann, Neave, and
PAGE 248, line 2. THE MANOR OF HORNE, alias Ke
nardington, is one of the lordships of Romney Marsh.
PAGE 264, penult. For for read from.
PAGE 276, penult. For Thomas Wildman read James
Wildman, and so on throughout the volume, in pages 278,
279, 286, 290.
PAGE 285, line 30. For on read in.
PAGE 288, line 10. After bells, add and a set of chimes;
and add in 1772, a handsome gallery was erected in the
church, and in 1796 a new altar piece was put up of
wainscot, of excellent workmanship, and handsomely ornamented.
PAGE 291. In the list of vicars, for Horne read Hieron.
PAGE 293, line 29. BOWER, alias FLEMINGS, was sold
soon afterwards by Mr. Papillon to Thomas Kinght, esq. of
Godmersham, on whose death it came to his widow Mrs.
Catherine Knight, and is now by her gift in the possession of
Edward Austen, esq. of Godmersham park.
PAGE 296. The spire was taken down in 1793, and a
low pointed roof only was added in its room, in which there
is now only one bell.
PAGE 298, line 25. For Gold read Gould, who sold it to
Stephen Hambrook, whose two sons and heirs Stephen and
Richared now own it.
PAGE 300, line 25. For above read below, and line 30,
for Upperdowne read Underdowne.
PAGE 301, line 9. Read Swadling downs, corruptly for
PAGE 309, line 26. After Thomas Page, read whose nephew of the same name died, &c.
PAGE 312, line 8. Sir William latterly, and Sir John
now, writes his name Fagge.
PAGE 315, line 22. For 141, read 286.
Line ult. For 1657, read 1654.
PAGE 316, line 8. Read a fess, between three ciquesoils,
PAGE 320, line 14. For Eggerton read Eggarton.
PAGE 323, line 5. Mr. Richard Coleman is the present lessee of the manor and tithes, and resides in the courtlodge.
PAGE 324, line 20. Elizabeth, one of the sisters of the
late Thomas Knight, esq. is now living, and resides at Eggarton, and is unmarried.
PAGE 325, line 2. Mr. Austen married Elizabeth, and third
daughter of the late Sir Brook Bridges, bart. by whom he
has a daughter Frances, and three sons, Edward, George,
PAGE 327, line 3. Mrs. Elizabeth Knight now resides
at Eggarton, as has been mentioned before.
PAGE 336, line 19, read thus, These manors, with the
mansion now called Sparkes, &c.
PAGE 341, line 18. For 1630, read 1638.
PAGE 342, line 6 from the bottom. The well at Withersden is of the mineral quality, and tastes exceedingly like the
PAGE 344, line 13. For September 3, read September 30,
to which they were altered with the consent of the lord of the
PAGE 345, line 5. For Battell read Battell, and the same
again below, line 16.
PAGE 343, line 7 from the bottom. At Wye-court there
stood a few years since a large circular building, consisting of a
room vaulted to the top, and below it a dungeon, to the depth
of twelve feet; this was lined with stone of a great thickness,
and lighted only by one aperture sloping upwards to the surface of the ground, about three inches wide. When the
place was levelled and the stones removed, there were found
three small square bricks, of a white composition, with old
characters on them, and in a hole of the stone wall an old
iron hand cuff. Antient people of the place have called this
place Lollard's hole.
PAGE 344, line 6, add, And when a sunk sence was lately
dug on one side of the pyramidial mount, near Ollantigh,
two skeletons were found, about five feet below the surface;
there were near them several small pieces of iron, and two of
a larger size, which seemed to be heads of spears, being about
ten inches long, and pointed at the end.
PAGE 342, line 18. Nicholas Brett, the second son, died
unmarried in 1787, and Rebecca the daughter, married Geo.
Smith, esq. of Meopham.
PAGE 350, line 26. For 1707, read 1787.
PAGE 369, penult. Dele the comma after lead.
PAGE 373, line 10. For Crundale read Crundal; the
same, Page 374, line 5.
PAGE 399, line 23. The old house was begun to be
pulled down in 1792, and a handsome mansion has since been
erected in the park by Mr. Hatton.
PAGE 403, penult. For Anne read Amye, it being so on
PAGE 409, line 14. Eastwell manor is one of the
lordships of Romney Marsh.
PAGE 410, line 20. There is now but one large bell remaining in the room of the three.
Line 23. The eastern window has within these few years
been fitted up with good remains of painted glass, collected
from different places; since which the opposite window at the
west end of the north isle, has been ornamented in the like
Line 34. After for now lie, read laid till the year 1795,
when these fragments were removed, and the chancel
cleaned, as well as the vault beneath, and the coffins again
replaced in it.
PAGE 411, line 3. The hon. Mrs. Hatton, mother of
Mr. Hatton, was the last buried in it.
PAGE 420. NASH-court and Gignash. Mr. William
Sharp is since deceased, and his only son Mr. Barling Sharp
now owns them, and resides in the latter, as his son of the
same name does in the former.
PAGE 423, last line. Mr. William Chapman is since deceased, and his only son Mr. John Chapman now owns Perry
town, and resides at it.
Brook is now owned by Mr. Balderston, of Canterbury.
PAGE 429, in the list of vicars. For Geraud read Giraud.
PAGE 430, line 18. Peirce house. Mr. Wakeley is since
deceased, and it is now owned by his widow Mrs. Mary
Wakeley, who resides in it.
PAGE 437, line 27. The Rev. Mr. Sayer, of Petts, has
one son and five daughters.
PAGE 439, line 13. Wickins. Miss Anne Dering is
since deceased unmarried, and it is now come to her only
brother John Thurlow Dering, esq. by mistake here said to
be deceased, but who is still living.
Line 27. For before read below.
PAGE 440, last line. Brockton was sold by Mr. Barrett, about four years ago, to Mr. John Brenchley, the present owner of it.
PAGE 443, last line. Acton. Mr. Peter Harrison is
since deceased, and his widow Mrs. Hannah Harrison now
owns his share of it.
PAGE 448, in the list of vicars. Mr. Marshall died on
May 8, 1797.
PAGE 448, last line. Joseph Cotman, A. M. succeeded to
the vicarage of Charing in 1797, resigned in 1799, and was
succeeded by John Barwick, B.A. who is the present vicar.
PAGE 449, last line. For Francis read Frederick.
PAGE 450, last line. Sir Horace Mann now resides in
this parish, in a house called Egerton farm, built on the former of those manors, which he has made great additions and
improvements to, for his accommodation, within these few
PAGE 452, line 10. Mr. John Ashbye, gent. is of
Dowle-street, in Charing.
PAGE 455, line 12. The Rev. Mr. Marshall, curate of
Egerton, died on May 8, 1797, and was succeeded by Joseph Cotman, A. M. who resigned in 1799, and John Barwick, B. A. was appointed his successor.
PAGE 460, line I. Mr. Darell has three sons and six
daughters, of whom Lucy the second, married Edw. Hales,
esq. eldest son of Sir Edward Hales, bart. and Elizabeth
married John Lynch French, esq. The three sons are,
Henry, Edward, and Philip.
PAGE 461, line 13. For lozeny read lozengy.
PAGE 463, line 17. For Proting read Roting. The hamlets of Ford mill and Roting-street, close to the boundary of
this parish, are within that of Little Chart.
Last line. Dele the words Newland-green; the house
there mentioned being at Dowle-street, and now in the possession of John Ashbee, gent. who resides in it.
PAGE 464, line 4. There are about seventy-three houses
in the parish, and about six hundred inhabitants. There are
about sixty acres of hops, and as many acres of woodland.
PAGE 465. For Westrooke read Westbrooke.
PAGE 469, line ult. For Monpesson read Mompesson.
PAGE 470, line 17. Sir Edward Dering, bart. died in
December, 1798, and was succeeded in this seat, with his
other estates, by his eldest son, now Sir Edward Dering,
The late Sir Edward Dering left issue by his first wife,
one son Edward above-mentioned, (who has two sons and
one daughter) and a daughter Selina, married to the Rev.
Dr. Dealtry, of Ireland. By his second wife he had three
sons and three daughters; of the former, Chomondeley is
colonel of the Romney Light Dragoons, and married Charlotte, daughter or the late judge Yates; Robert-Charles was
a lieutenant in the navy, and died in the West-Indies, and
George married Elizabeth, his first cousin, only daughter
and heir of Charles Dering, esq. of Barham. Of the daughters, Elizabeth married Daniel Byam Mathew, esq. Charlotte is unmarried, and Harriet died in France unmarried.
PAGE 475, line 12. For son read grandson.
PAGE 476, line 12. There is here likewise a Sunday
school, set up in 1787, which has been of great use in civilizing the children, and bringing them to church. There
are more than eighty children belonging to it.
PAGE 484. John Porter, late rector, is still living; he resigned it in 1794, and is the present lord bishop of Clogher,
PAGE 508, line 23. N. Roundell Toke, esq. married a
sister of the present Sir Bourchier Wrey, bart. by whom he
has no issue.
PAGE 534, last line. Mr. J. Basil Duckworth became a
bankrupt, and the house is now on sale.
PAGE 535, line 8. Robert Mascall, esq. (only son of John
Mascall) major in the Kentish provisional cavalry, is now
possessed of this house, and resides in it.
PAGE 536, line 19. Dele have been.
PAGE 539, last line but one. For Valoyns, read Strabolgie,
being three pales.
PAGE 540, line 9. For Malmaines read Malbraines.
PAGE 545, among the vicars. For Colcail read Coldcall.
PAGE 546, line 23. For Mary read Sarah.
PAGE 551, line 6 from the bottom, correct as follows: Mr.
Charles Kingsley, who died in 1785, left three sons, Charles,
who died at Canterbury; Thomas Pincke Kingsley, of London, the present possessor of Burton, and William, of London.
PAGE 559, l penult. For convex read concave.
PAGE 564, line 24. On Dec. 23, 1796, about six o'clock
in the evening, during a violent thunder storm, the steeple
was struck by the lightning, the upper part of it burnt down,
and the rest of it considerably damaged, but it was wholly
rebuilt and repaired in the following year
PAGE 596, l. ult. For Frances read Catherine.
PAGE 597, line 23. For three read two, the youngest,
Joane, having died before him an insant.