The hundred of Blengate
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1800

Page

67

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Blengate: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 67. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63538 Date accessed: 30 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF BLENGATE

LIES the next eastward from that of Westgate. This hundred was antiently in the possession of the abbot and convent of St. Augustine, and continued so at the dissolution of the abbey, in the 30th year of king Henry VIII. when it came into the hands of the crown, where it remains at this time.

IT CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE PARISHES OF
1. WESTBERE.
2. STURRY.
3. HERNE.
4. HOTHE.
5. CHISTLET.
6. RECULVER; and
7. STOURMOUTH.

And the churches of those parishes. Two constables have jurisdiction over it. It is divided into two half hundreds. The constable of the upper half hundred being chosen at the court leet of the manor of Reculver, and the constable of the lower half hundred at that of Sturry and Chistlet by turns.