The hundred of Bridge and Petham
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1800

Page

276

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Bridge and Petham: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 276. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63563 Date accessed: 22 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF BRIDGE AND PETHAM

LIES the next hundred southward from that of Downhamford. It was formerly two separate hundreds, viz. of Bridge, and of Petham, called in Domesday, Brige and Piteham, and they appear to have been distinct in king Edward III.'s reign.

IT CONTAINS WITHIN ITS BOUNDS THE FOLLOWING PARISHES:
1. PATRIXBORNE.
2. BRIDGE.
3. NACKINGTON in part.
4. LOWER HARDRES.
5. UPPER HARDRES in part.
6. PETHAM; and
7. WALTHAM in part.

And the churches of those parishes; and likewise part of the parishes of CHARTHAM, and ST. STEPHEN'S, alias HACKINGTON, the churches of which are in other hundreds. Two constables have jurisdiction over it.

A court leet, of which the king is lord, is held yearly for chusing a constable for the hundred of Bridge, and the several borsholders in it.