The hundred of Bewsborough
Introduction

Sponsor

Institute of Historical Research

Publication

Author

Edward Hasted

Year published

1800

Page

374

Citation Show another format:

'The hundred of Bewsborough: Introduction', The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 9 (1800), pp. 374. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=63577 Date accessed: 20 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

THE HUNDRED OF BEWSBOROUGH


The Antient Fortification at Coldred.

LIES next adjoining to that of Kinghamford, lastdescribed. It contains within its bounds the several parishes of
1. SHEBBERTSWELL.
2. COLDRED.
3. WHITFIELD.
4. WEST LANGDOK.
5. GUSION.
6. OXNEY.
7. ST. MARGARET.
8. WEST CLIFFE.
9. EWELL.
10. RIVER.
11. POLTON.
12. HOUGHAM in part.
13. BUCKLAND. And
14. CHARLTON in part.

And the churches of those parishes, and likewise part of the parishes of WOOTTON, LIDDON, and WALDERSHARE, the churches of which are in other hundreds.

A court leet is held for this hundred, at which two constables are chosen, for the upper and lower half hundreds. This court is held at Bewsborough Cross, near the Cross-hand, between Archers-court and Old Park. The court is opened under a tree at the usual place, and from thence adjourned.