LIES next to Buckland eastward. It is written in
in Domesday, Carlentone, and usually at present Charlton by Dover, to distinguish it from Charlton near
Greenwich. This parish lies only part of it in the
hundred of Bewsborough, in which the church is situated, and the residue of it in Charlton ward, within the
jurisdiction of the cinque ports, and of the corporation
of the town and port of Dover.
The borsholder, chosen at the manor of Dudmanscombe, in Buckland, has jurisdiction over that part of
this parish within the hundred of Bewsborough.
CHARLTON is situated in the same vale as Buckland,
but of a much more pleasant and chearful aspect. The
village, with the church, is situated in the valley, about
two fields on the left hand of the London road, very
near the entrance of the town of Dover; and it extends southward on the other side, and joins Hougham
up the Black-horse valley, as it does northward to
The river Dour, an account of which has already
been given before, runs through it eastward, and having turned a corn-mill here, formerly belonging to the
priory of Dover, but now to the archbishop, and leased
to Mr. Thomas Horne, continues its course on towards Dover harbour. Above the village, which is
pleasantly situated in a level of meadow ground, the
hills rise northward very high. In the vale beyond
which, still further northward of Dover castle, is a wide
deep space, called Knights bottom, from the knights
belonging to the castle having continually made use of
it in former times to exercise their seats of chivalry in.
From its situation, and the description of it in ancient
writers, somewhere about this place seems to have bid
fair for having been the Portus Dubris of the Romans,
which is corroborated by the anchors and planks of
ships having been dug up near this village, not many
THERE IS AT PRESENT no manor distinguished particularly by the name of the manor of Charlton; the
manor of Dover priory claiming over great part of it
without the jurisdiction of the cinque ports. But that
there was in antient times such a manor, is very certain;
for it appears, that THE MANOR OF CHARLTON, at
the time of taking the survey of Domesday, was part
of the possessions of the canons of St. Martin's priory,
in Dover, under the general title of whose lands it is
thus entered in it:
In Beusberg hundred. Ralph de S. Sansone holds one
manor as a prebend, called Cerlentone, and it is taxed
for one suling. There he has three villeins, and four borderers, with one carucate. In the whole it is worth seventy shillings. In the time of king Edward the Confessor, one hundred shillings. Leuuin held it as a prebend.
In the same parish, William the son of Orgerius holds
one suling, and there he has one villein, and seven borderers, with half a carucate, and one mill of forty shillings. There a certain Frenchman has one carucate. The
Same William holds one church in Dovere of the bishop
(of Baieux), and it pays him eleven shillings. The canons dispute it. The whole of this is worth six pounds.
In the time of king Edward the Confessor twelve pounds.
Sired held it.
This manor, with the rest of the possessions abovedescribed, continued afterwards with the priory of St.
Martin, till the general dissolution of it in the 27th
year of king Henry VIII. when they were granted
with the scite of the priory and other estates of it, in
exchange, to the archbishop, part of whose possessions
this manor continues at this time. But it has long
since lost even the reputation of having been one; and
the manor of Dudmanscombe, the scite of which is in
the adjoining parish of Buckland, which was formerly
part of the possessions of the priory, and was after tho
suppression granted as before-mentioned to the archbishop, who claims over a part of this parish, and the
waste within it.
The hospital of St. Mary, usually called the Maison
Dieu, in Dover, adjoining to the southern bounds of
this parish, was possessed of much land in it, which at
the suppression of it in king Henry VIII.'s reign, came
into the hands of the crown, where these lands remained
at the death of king Charles I. when they consisted of
three hundred and fifty-one acres, of the improved
rent of 1561. per annum, but the whole had been for
some time enjoyed by the lieutenant of Dover castle,
at the yearly rent of 12l. 10s. 8d. Besides which, the
hospital was possessed of other lands in this parish;
the particulars of which will be mentioned hereafter,
under the account of the hospital, in Dover.
There are no parochial charities.
CHARLTON is within the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is a rectory, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a very small building, consisting of
a body, a high chancel, and a smaller one on the south
side. It has a low pointed steeple at the west end, in
which there is one small bell. This church has been
for many years the burial-place of the family of Monins, the patrons of it. There is a monument for Peter
Monins, of Dover, merchant and jurat, obt. 1738.
He left a daughter Mary, married to the Rev. Wm.
Battely; she died in 1778. Another monument for
Richard Monins, A.M. who was patron of this church
and of Ringwold thirteen years, master of the king's
school, in Canterbury, rector of Rattlesden and Drinkston, in Suffolk, and prebendary of Bristol.
The rectory of this church was formerly accounted
a manor and an appendage to the barony of Chilham,
and as such, had in earlier times the same possessors.
In the reign of king Edward II. Bartholomew de Badlesmere, that great and powerful baron, of Ledescastle, having obtained a grant of the above barony,
possessed this church likewise, among others appurtenant to it, and in the 13th year of that reign, having
procured the king's licence to found a house of canons
regular at Badlesmere, settled this church, as part of its
endowment; but by reason of the troubles which
quickly afterwards followed, and the lord Badlesmere
being attainted and executed, nothing further was done
in it, and the design of carrying it forward fell to the
ground. After which this church was restored to his
son Giles de Badlesmere, among the rest of his father's
possessions, in the 7th year of that reign; upon whose
death s. p. it came to Maud, his eldest sister and coheir, who entitled her husband John de Vere, earl of
Oxford, to it. How long this church continued in this
family I have not found; but it appears by the escheat
rolls, that Ralph, baron of Graystock, died possessed of
it in the 6th year of king Henry V. as did Elizabeth,
wife of Ralph Boteler, of Sudeley, in the 2d year of
king Edward IV. from which time till the reign of
Henry VIII. (fn. 1) I can give no further account of it;
only that John Monins, esq. lieutenant of Dover castle, possessed it at the latter end of that reign, who was
the second son of John Monins, of Swanton, in Liddon,
whose eldest son was of Waldershare, where a further
account of his descendants, and of the early part of this
family may be seen. He died possessed of it in 1554,
in whose descendants, who bore the same arms as those
of Waldershare, Gules, three crescents, or, the advowson
of it has continued down to John Monins, esq. late of
Woodford, in Essex, but now of Canterbury, the present patron of this church, and the only heir male of
this antient family, (fn. 2) who married Sarah, the daughter
of Mr. John Trice, of Ashford, by whom he has four
sons and two daughters.
It is not valued in the king's books. In 1578 it was
valued at fifteen pounds. In 1640 at thirty pounds,
communicants twenty-four. It is now a discharged
living, of about the clear yearly value of thirty-two
The rector of this parish has only a part of the great
tithes arising within it; the remainder being part of
the possessions of the archbishop, who demises the
same, with lands in this parish, on a beneficial lease, to
James Gunmrn, esq. of Dover.
Church of Charton.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Family of Monins.||David Campredon, A. M. Jan.
nuary 31, 1700, obt. March
2, 1731. (fn. 3) |
|Henry Hemmett, Aug. 25, 1731,
|John Hawes, A. B. June 5,
1742, obt. 1747.|
|Isaac Teale, Dec. 5, 1747, resigned 1748. (fn. 4) |
|John Hicks, jun. A. B. Sept. 30,
1748, obt. 1754.|
|John Tucker, A. M. March 14,
1755, resigned 1758. (fn. 5) |
|Richard Monins, A. M. Feb.
27, 1758, obt. February 23,
1770. (fn. 6) |
|The family of Monins.||Thomas Gurney, March 1770,
obt. June 1774. (fn. 7) |
|Thomas Johnson, A. M. July 1774,
the present rector.|