SUTTON, NEAR DOVER,
WRITTEN likewise in antient records, Sutton
near Ripple, and near Walmer, and sometimes, East
Sutton; to distinguish it from other parishes of this
name in other parts of this county, lies the next parish
to East Langdon, north-westward. The manors of
Norborne and Ripple claim paramount over disserent parts of this parish. These manors seem to be
divided by the cross road at the bottom of the street;
lands on the north side paying to Norborne, on the
south side to Ripple.
There are two boroughts in it; one borsholder being
chosen for East Sutton borough, at Ripple manor court;
the other, at the court of the MANOR OF Norborne, for
the remaining part of the parish.
THIS PARISH, which is but small, lies on high
ground, among the open and uninclosed hills, and contains upwards of nine hundred acres of land, the soil is
very thin, and rather stony, being a clay upon a chalk,
but with a diversity of soil, in a smaller proportion, like
the other neighbouring parishes. The village, which
contains about 24 houses, having the church close to it,
is situated nearly in the middle of the parish. There is
no fair, nor any thing further worth mention in it.
THE MANOR OF EAST SUTTON, alias SUTTONCOURT, in king Henry III.'s reign, was held by Hugh
Soldanks, by knight's service, whose descendant Stephen
Soldank held it in king Edward I.'s reign; (fn. 1) soon
after which, it came into the possession of John Wyborne,
and thence again to the abbot and convent of St.
Augustine, where it continued till the final diffolution
of the monastery, in the 30th year of Henry VIII.
when it waws surrendered, with all its lands and revednues,
into the king's hands; whence it was granted
not long afterwards to Mr. John Master, to hold in capite.
From which name it passed into that of Wiseman,
whose window, Elizabeth Wiseman, died possessed
of it in the 4th and 5th years of Philip and Mary, leaving
two daughters her coheirs, viz. Jane, married to
Alured Barwicke, and Bridget, to George Throgmorton.
Upon the partition of whose inheritance, this
manor became the sole property of the former, who
conveyed his interst in it by deed and fine to John
Fynch, and in this name it reamined for some time, till
at length it was alienated to Den, who are entered in
the early part of the register of this parish as gentlemen;
one of whom built a large mansions of stone, in
this parish, the foundations of which are still to be seen
on a pasture, on the east side of Sutton street, in which
they resided; as did the Foches afterwards. They
were succeeded in this manor by the family of Hussey,
in which it continued, till Grace Hussey the elder, and
Grace Hussey the younger, sometime about the beginning
of queen Anne's reign, joined in the sale of it,
by the name of the manor of Sutton-court, to Sir Robert
Furnesre, bart. of Waldershare, who died possessed
of this estate in 1733; on the partition of whose estates
sometime afterwards, (fn. 2) this manor was wholly allotted,
among others, o Anne the eldest daughter and coheir,
wife of John, viscount St. John. Their son Frederick, viscount St. John, succeeded to this estate on
his father's death, and on the death of his uncle Henry,
viscount Bolingbroke, in 1751, to that title likewise;
on his death it came to his son George, viscount
Bolingbroke, who in 1791 sold it to Mr. Thomas
Garside, of Deal, the present owner of it. The court
for this manor has been disused for many years.
SUTTON FARM, alias WINKLETON, in antient records written Winkeland, lies in that part of this parish,
adjoining to East Langdon, in which parish part of the
demesnes of it lie. This estate, which seems in early
times to have been accounted a manor, was held of the
abbot of St. Augustine, as of his manor of Norborne,
in king Edward I.'s time, by Henry de Cobham; from
which name it passed into that of Stroude, where it
remained till about the middle of Edward the IIId.'s
reign, soon after which it appears to have come into
the possession of the family of Criol; for Sir Nicholas
Criol; or Keriel, as the name began then to be spelt,
died possessed of it in the 3d year of king Richard II.
and from him it devolved at length by succession to Sir
Thomas Keriel, who was slain in the second battle of
St. Alban's, in the 38th year of king Henry VI. He
left two daughters his coheirs, of whom Alice the
youngest, marrying John Fogge, esq. of Repton, afterwards knighted; on the division of their inheritance,
Winkeland was allotted to him. Their son, Sir Thomas Fogge, sergeant-porter of Calais, sold his interest
in it to Whitlock; and he not long afterwards alienated
it to Richard Maycott, who died in the 31st year of
king Henry VIII. holding it in capite by knight's service; one of his descendants passed it away by sale to
Stokes, whose descendant, John Stokes, about the beginning of king Charles I.'s reign, alienated it to Edward Merriweather, gent. of Shebbertswell, in whose
descendants it continued, till at length it passed, partly
by marriage, in like manner as Shebberstwell abovedescribed, to the Churchills, of Henbury, in Dorsetshire; in which family it continued, till William and
Henry, the two sons and coheirs in gavelkind of Awnsham Churchill, esq. conveyed it by sale in 1785, by
the name of Sutton-farms, alias Winkleton, to Mr.
William Baldock, of Canterbury, and he the year after
passed it away to Mr. Joseph Marsh, the occupier of
it, who is the present owner.
THERE WAS a portion of tithes arising from this
estate, which belonged likewise to the above abbey;
and in king Edward II.'s reign, the archbishop's commissary confirmed to them, among their other possessions of the like fort, this their part of the tithes of
sheaves arising from the lands of this manor, within
the bounds of this parish; (fn. 3) and archbishop Arundel
confirmed the same again in king Richard II.'s reign,
anno 1397, wherein these tithes are said to lie within
the parish of East Langdon.
THIS FAMILY of Foche, alias Foach, was as early as
queen Elizabeth's reign possessed of an estate in this
parish, now called THE UPPER FARM, the lands of
which lie adjoining to those of Sutton-court; and in
that name it continued, till it was at length alienated to
William Verrier, gent. of Sandwich, who died in
1710, leaving five sons; to the three youngest of
whom, he by will devised his mansion, houses, and
lands, in this parish. Part of these lands, by Susan,
daughter of Benjamin Verrier, the youngest but one
of them, went in marriage to Mr. Thomas Alkin,
gent. of Canterbury, whose daughter, Mrs. Margaret
Alkin, of Canterbury, a few years since passed away
her interest in them by sale to Mr. William Marsh, of
Walmer, the present owner of them.
MR. THOMAS FOACH, gent. of this parish, gave by his will a
yearly annuity of 40s. charged on Upper farm, to the church
and poor of it, to be distributed yearly in bread.
MR. CUSHIRE gave two acres and a half of marsh land in
Sholdon, now of the annual produce of 3s. 4d. to be distributed
yearly in coals to the poor.
The poor constantly relieved are about eleven, casually eight.
THIS PARISH is with in the ECCLESIASTICAL JURISDICTION of the diocese of Canterbury, and deanry of
The church, which is dedicated to St. Peter and St.
Paul, is but small, part of it having fallen down by an
earthquake, on April 6, 1680. The present church
consists of a nave and chancel, without any steeple.
There is one small bell. The east end is circular.
There are no memorials in it, nor marks of antiquity,
excepting a circular arch over the north door, handsomely ornamented with a fretty sculpture; and a plain
circular arch over the south door, both of much greater
antiquity than the present church, and probably belonged to an older building.
The patronage of this church was part of the antient
possessions of the crown, and remained so till it was
given to the college or hospital at Maidstone, founded
by archbishop Boniface, in king Henry III.'s reign;
after which, archbishop Walter Reynolds, about the
year 1314, appropriated it to the use and support of
Archbishop Courtney, in the 19th year of king Richard II. anno 1395, having obtained the king's licence
for making the parish church of Maidstone collegiate,
gave and assigned to it the advowson, patronage, and
appropriation of this church, among others likewise
belonging to it, heretofore of the king's patronage, all
which were held in capite, to hold in free, pure, and
The collegiate church of Maidstone was dissolved
by the act of the Ist of king Edward VI. after which
the church of Sutton remained part of the revenues of
the crown, till queen Elizabeth, in her 3d year, granted
in exchange, by her letters patent, to archibishop Parker, among other estates, this church, or parsonage appropriate of Sutton, with the advowson of it, being
then valued to the archbishop at 5l. 6s. 8d. yearly value; since which it has continued parcel of the possessions of the see of Canterbury to this time, his grace
the archbishop being the present owner of it.
The parsonage is demised on a beneficial lease to
Mr. Joseph Marsh, of Winkleton, the present possessor of it. There are five acres and three roods of
glebe belonging to this parsonage.
This church has been long esteemed as a perpectual
curacy. It was augmented with twenty-four pounds by
archbishop Juxon, in obedience to the king's letters
mandatory, by indenture, anno 13 Charles II. which
augmentation was confirmed by other indentures, in
the 26th year of that reign. It has likewise been since
augmented by queen Anne's bounty.
Church of Sutton, by Dover.
|Or by whom presented.|
|Archbishop of Canterbury.||Ralph Partrich, in 1619, and
|Nicholas Brett, clerk, in 1627.|
|James Burvill, clerk, in 1642.|
|Thomas Brett, in 1664, obt.
July, 1681. (fn. 4) |
|Thomas Boys, in 1682 and 1701.|
|John Andrews, in 1702.|
|Nicholas Carter, S. T. P. 1716,
resigned 1755. (fn. 5) |
|Thomas Pennington, A. M. 1755,
resigned 1766. (fn. 6) |
|Henry Shove, A. M. 1766, resigned 1772. (fn. 7) |
|John White, A. M. 1772, obt.
1789. (fn. 8) |
|Montagu Pennington, A. M. 1789,
the present curate.|
The inhabitants of Little Mongeham, the church
of which has been long since desecrated, resort to this
church of Sutton for the benefit of divine service; and
for baptisms, marriages, burials, &c. for which the
rector of that parish pays the curate of Sutton an annual stipend of five guineas.