Parishes
St Botolph Billingsgate

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

G. A. J. Hodgett (editor)

Year published

1971

Supporting documents

Pages

49-50

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: St Botolph Billingsgate', The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate: London Record Society 7 (1971), pp. 49-50. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64014 Date accessed: 03 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

[f. 51] In the parish of St. Botolph Billyngysgate

257. [1147–67] Grant by Ralph prior and convent to Brounlocus of two wharves (wervos) with adjacent land in Roderesgate; rent 22s. p.a.; if the grantee or any of his heirs seek damage to the church, they shall lose the fee unless they obtain the mercy of the prior and brethren; witnesses, Robert the Priest, Robert de St. Alphege.

C.A.D., iv, A 7361.

258. [List of those paying rent]: Brounlocus; John Abraham; Gregory Abraham; Turold de Kyneli; William Frosh(er); Geoffrey Frosh(er) from whom the land got the name Froyssh(er) werf; John Bourne, 5 Ed. II; afterwards in the king's hands; Simon Levelyf, 33 Ed. III; now [1425–7] the abbey of St. Mary Graces.

Margin: Nota quod anno regni regis Edwardi quarti vj° fuit quedam controversia inter abbatem de Tothill et priorem ecclesie Sancte Trinitatis pro xxijs. predictis et pro xixs. vjd. in parochia Sancti Botolphi extra Algate. Tandem concordati sunt per arbitrium Whattenow et Jacobi Braddeman lege peritorum viz. quod dictus prior pardoneret dicto abbati vijli. ixs. et quod dictus abbas solveret dicto priori Cs. pro arreragiis et sic factum est ut patet per acquietanciam (ponentem) in quadam pixide ubi cetere composiciones inter dominum abbatem et priorem ponuntur etc.

259. Grant of John prior and convent to Baudricus the Fishmonger (pis(c)arius) of land with houses once held by Ralph the priest of the church of St. Magnus; abutments, the house once of Edward Sare on the south and the house of Thomas Wateman on the north, extending from the lane by Redersgate to the tenement of Walter de Chesewyk; rent 1 mark of silver p.a.; declaration that the houses built on the land are valued (appreciate) at 10 marks; if the grantee or his heirs etc. wish to relinquish the holding, the prior and convent to have the preference by a bezant of 2s.; [f. 51 v] gersuma 5 marks in silver; chirograph sealed; Feb. 1253; witnesses, John de Tulesan, mayor, Thomas de Wymburn, William de Dunolm, sheriffs.

C.A.D., ii, A 1912.

260. [List of those paying rent]: B. the Fishmonger; John de Waltham; Robert Yo(u), 19 Ed. II; his widow, 1 Ed. III; John Yo(u), 6 Ed. III; Robert Hwyte, 30 Ed. III; Nicholas Holborne, 49 Ed. III; Geoffrey Mawfeld, 8 Ric. II.

261. Total of this parish 35s. 4d. and it is tithed as it appears in the king's exemplification.