Parishes
St Benet Gracechurch

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

G. A. J. Hodgett (editor)

Year published

1971

Supporting documents

Pages

61-64

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: St Benet Gracechurch', The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate: London Record Society 7 (1971), pp. 61-64. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64021 Date accessed: 17 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

[f. 63] In the parish of St. Benet Gracechurch

316. [1222–48] Grant by Laurence Draper to Richard prior and convent of 6s. p.a. of quit rent which Joce de Cornhelle, draper, was accustomed to pay the grantor for certain land with houses which he held of the grantor; abutments, the land of William son of Benet on the north and of Richard Sharpp on the south; rent to the grantor and his heirs 8d. p.a.; for the grant the prior and convent have remitted to the grantor and his heirs 5s. 4d. p.a. of quit rent which he was accustomed to pay them from the land which Richard Blandekete once held next to the land of Peter Feli(m) on the east 4s. and from a certain garden next the aforesaid land on the north which Ralph E(ui) once held 1s. and a certain part of the garden which Hugh Sotebrok(s) once held next to the land that was once of Reginald Danger on the west 4d.; chirograph sealed, witnesses, John Hanyn, Robert Long.

C.A.D., ii, A 2217.

317. [List of those paying quit rent]: Joce de Cornhill; Geoffrey Druy; William Fynk(s); Adam Broun; Lucy Broun who granted the tenement to John atte Hill paying 6s. as appears by their charter (fn. 1) enrolled 16 Ed. II; his widow, 5 Ed. III; John Hatfeld, chandler, 30 Ed. III; Richard Claveryng, 48 Ed. III; Richard Hatfeld, 8 Ric. II; John Olney throughout Hy. IV; Thomas Hatfeld, 7 Hy. V, who died 5 Oct. 1422 and who bequeathed the tenement to the masters of London Bridge and it is situated on the west side of Graschirchstete [sic].

318. Note: that Amice daughter of William Wilkyn gave to Richard prior and convent 21d. from land which the hospital of Sandon held in the parish as appears in Charter Twelve (fn. 2) of several parishes and the master of Sandon conveyed the right he had in this land to the master of London Bridge as appears in the muniments (evidenciis) of the same Bridge.

319. [f. 63v] [List of those paying rent to the hospital of Sandon by (iuxta) Kyngeston]: Richard Seriant; John de Stepynght, 1 Ed. II; Gregory de Stepynght; John Hornn, 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Richard Patrik, 5 and 30 Ed. III; his widow, 48 Ed. III; John Cotland, 49 Ed. III; William Olyver, 8 Ric. II and the tenement is situated on the west side of Graschirchstrete.

320. Note: that Amice daughter of William Wilekin gave to Richard prior and convent, 21d. from land which William Burser held of the hospital of St. Katherine by the Tower as appears in Charter Twelve (fn. 3) of several parishes.

321. [List of those paying quit rent]: William Burser; Robert Burser who granted a quit rent of 13s. 4d. p.a. to Holy Trinity [See also after 323] as appears by the following grant.

322. [1273–4] Grant by Robert le Burser to Eustace prior and convent of 1 mark p.a. of quit rent from his whole tenement in the parish; abutments, the house of John le Tailur and John de Stebenhethe; the canons to have right to enter and take distresses for arrears; gersuma 9 marks; witnesses, Henry Walesis, mayor, Henry de Coventre, Nicholas de Wynton, sheriffs.

323. [f. 64] Exchange between the master, brethren and sisters of the hospital of St. Katherine by the Tower and William prior and canons of Holy Trinity. As a result of disagreements over arrears of certain rents and lesser tithes, by agreement the prior and convent remitted to the master etc. all exactions and demands which they had to 4s. 8d. of annual rents in the tenement between the house of Alexander le Treyere and the house of John Cross (de Cruce) in the soke without Algate and all the tithes of these lands which were of William Leman and John le Lymbernere and Simon le Vannere in the parish of St. Botolph saving the right of the parish church; for this release the master gave to the prior ½ mark p.a. of quit rent received from a rent which the hospital was accustomed to have from a tenement that was of Robert le Burser in Graschurchstrete; now [1423–4] held by John Sadelere, vintner, who has completely rebuilt the tenement; chiro graph sealed; witnesses, Ralph de Sandwich, warden of London, John Soudan, canon of St. Paul's; dated 11 June [1286].

321 contd. Robert Burser paid 21s. 9d., 15 Ed. I and 1 Ed. II; John Cotekyn, 19 Ed. II; Egidia Hornn, 6 and 30 Ed. III; Richard Toky, 48 Ed. III and 11 Ric. II; [See also after 324] as appears by the following acquittance.

324. Acquittance given by William prior to Richard Toky for receipt of 43s. 6d. for the two past years in full payment of arrears due to Holy Trinity from a rent of 21s. 9d. p.a. from a tenement situated between the tenement of William Oliver once of John Stebenhethe on the south and one of Richard Toky once of John Horn on the north; (fn. 4) [f. 64v] sealed; dated Whitsuntide 1388.

C.A.D., ii, A 2222.

321 contd. John Spencer, 1 Hy. IV; Richard Baynard, 1 Hy. V; John Sadeler, 6 Hy. V and 2 Hy. VI and the tenement is situated on the west side of Graschirchstrete between the tenement of William Olyver on the south and Richard Beynard on the north.

325. [c. 1215–30] Grant by Alice widow of Master Roger the Doctor to Holy Trinity of 10s. p.a. of quit rent from a tenement held by Roger Long; to hold in free alms; moreover Roger gave the grantor 4s. to give to the monks of Reading (Radyng); sealed; witnesses, Richard fitz Reggi, alderman, William Wilekyn.

C.A.D., i, A 1643.

326. [List of those paying quit rent]: Robert Long; James son of Robert Long who granted 3s. 4d. from the same tenement to Holy Trinity [See also after 327] as appears by the following charter.

327. [1249–50] Grant by James son of Robert Long to Richard prior and convent of 3s. 4d. p.a. of quit rent from his capital messuage from which James had paid 10s. p.a. after his father's death; canons to be allowed to distrain both for the 3s. 4d. and for 10s.; [f. 65] if the grantor or his heirs wish to sell or lease in fee (in feodum dimittere) the canons to have the preference by a bezant of 2s. to obtain the land if they wish to have it; for the gift the canons gave 40s. sterling; sealed; witnesses, Roger son of Roger, mayor, John Tuselan, Ralph Hardel, sheriffs.

C.A.D., ii. A 2227.

326 contd. James son of Robert Long; Geoffrey Fairchyld who granted the land to Robert Chaumpeneys paying to Holy Trinity 13s. 4d. as appears by their charter enrolled 5 Ed. I; Simon de Kydemynstre, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Arnold Chaundeler, 6 Ed. III; Adam Boseworth, 30 Ed. III; Roger de Leycestre, 40 Ed. III; the nuns of Clerkenwell, 46 Ed. III.

328. Total of this parish 42s. 10d. and it is tithed as appears in the king's exemplification.

Footnotes

1 H.R. 51 (4).
2 1013.
3 1013.
4 Inserted above the line: 'now Bernard'.