Parishes
St Mary le Bow

Sponsor

Centre for Metropolitan History

Publication

Author

G. A. J. Hodgett (editor)

Year published

1971

Supporting documents

Pages

104-105

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: St Mary le Bow', The Cartulary of Holy Trinity, Aldgate: London Record Society 7 (1971), pp. 104-105. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=64039 Date accessed: 18 September 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

[f. 100] In the parish of St. Mary de Arcubus

515. [1250–1] Grant by John le Lunge to John prior and convent of 9s. p.a. of quit rent that Ralph son of Thomas was accustomed to pay from shops, with solars built over them, in Cheap; abutments, the seld of Roger son of Roger and that of Emma Sibeling; the canons to pay the grantor and his heirs ½ lb. of cumin at Michaelmas; the canons gave 6 marks of silver as gersuma; witnesses, John Norman, mayor, Humphrey le Fevre, William son of Richard, sheriffs.

C.A.D., ii, A 2483.

516. [1251–2] Grant by Ralph the Goldsmith to John prior and convent of 6s. p.a. of quit rent which Ralph son of Thomas was accustomed to pay from a certain shop in Westchepe next the seld of Roger son of Roger; the canons to pay the grantor and his heirs ½ lb. of cumin or ½d. at Easter; the canons gave 60s. as gersuma; witnesses, Adam de Rasing, (fn. 1) mayor and alderman of this ward, (fn. 2) Nicholas Bat, Laurence Frowyk, sheriffs.

C.A.D., ii, A 2482.

517. [1252–3] Grant by Emma widow of Thomas Sybelyng to John prior and convent [f. 100v] of 4s. p.a. of quit rent which Ralph son of Thomas was accustomed to pay from two solars in Westchepe between the grantor's seld and that of Roger son of Roger with free access to and exit from the solar through the porch (atrium) of the grantor's seld; the canons gave 30s. as gersuma; witnesses, John Tulsan, mayor, Thomas de B(un)burne [sic], sheriff.

C.A.D., ii, A 2463.

518. [List of those paying quit rent]: the whole sum of 19s.; Ralph son of Thomas; Nicholas son of Ralph; Robert de Kelysseye, 1 and 19 Ed. II and 1 Ed. III; Nicholas Armerer, 6 Ed. III; Thomas Kelysseye, 15 Ed. III [See also after 524] as appears by the following royal writ and plea held Mon. 5 Nov. 1341.

519. Writ to the mayor and sheriffs ordering them to see justice done to the prior of Holy Trinity in the matter of the withholding of just service to him by Thomas, clerk; witnessed by Edward, duke of Cornwall and earl of Chester, guardian of England, at Schottele, 22 June 1340.

520. The prior seeks against Thomas de Keleseye, clerk, a shop which for some time was two shops and a solar as gavelet because the said Thomas holds from him at a rent of 9s. p.a. which rent his predecessor Prior Roger de Poulay was seised of by his tenant Robert de Kelesey, father of the said Thomas, and on the day of the suing out of the writ, the rent was £6 15s. in arrears for fifteen years and the tenement cannot be distrained upon for a year and a day; the def. in person could not deny this but he did not pay the arrears and the prior recovers for a year and a day as gavelet.

521. [1340] Another writ as 519 with Thomas son of Robert de Kelesey for Thomas a clerk.

522. [f. 101] Another plea as 520 with another shop at a rent of 6s. p.a. and £4 10s. in arrears.

523. [1340] Another writ as 519 with Thomas de Kelesey parson of the church of Uherst.

524. Another plea as 520 with a solar at a rent of 4s. p.a. and 60s. in arrears.

518 contd. The rector of St. Stephen Walbrok, 30 Ed. III; John Gyrdelere, 37 and 49 Ed. III; John Hailesdon, 1 Ric. II; John Wodecok, 21 Ric. II; the executors of the same 11 Hy. IV as appears by the following acquittance.

525. Acquittance of brother Thomas Axbrygge, rent-collector (reddituarius) of the house of Holy Trinity, acknowledging receipt from the heirs and executors of John Wodecok, formerly citizen and mercer, by Simon Flete, mercer, of 4s. 9d. of an annual quit rent of 19s. paid from the front [part] of a certain shop called 'le Crowne' situated in Chepe in the parish of St. Mary-le-Bow between the shop formerly of Sir Robert Knoll called 'le legge' on the east and one of the prior and convent of St. Bartholomew de Smethfeld called 'le Threleggs' on the west 4s. 9d. due for the quarter day of 24 June last; [f. 101v] sealed by both parties; dated 25 June 1410, and the tenement is situated on the south side of the market.

C.A.D., ii, A 2509.

526. Total of this parish 19s. and nevertheless it is tithed at 25s. as appears in the king's exemplification.

Footnotes

1 Rectius Basing.
2 Cheap.