Hustwayt (xiv cent.).
Husthwaite is a parish of nearly 3,000 acres lying
to the south-west of Coxwold. The country here is
open and undulating, and there are only 25 acres of
woodland in the whole parish, which contains about
equal areas of arable and pasture land. (fn. 1) The soil is
middle and lower lias, and wheat, oats, barley and
potatoes are raised.
The parish consists of two townships, Husthwaite
and Carlton Husthwaite. Between
on the north and
Husthwaite on the
south runs the Thirsk
and Malton branch
of the North Eastern
railway, which has a
Gate, at the point
where it is crossed
by the road between
with the railway on
the south is the
Elphin Beck, a stream
which rises near Coxwold and flows southwest under various
names to join the
Husthwaite has a
long village street
running east and
west. Halfway along
it a shorter street branches off to the south, and at
this point stands the church of St. Nicholas. The
Wesleyan chapel and the manor-house, lately rebuilt,
are on the north side of the street, the school on the
south. The ground gradually rises from the west
end of the village to the east, and at a short distance
from its east end is Beacon Banks, the highest point
in the parish, where there is a house owned by Mrs.
F. H. Wailes. The road from Beacon Banks leads
south to Acaster Hill, where there is a substantial
residence occupied by Mr. Hugill. Half a mile
distant from the village to the south-west, on a commanding hill, stands the fine old house of Highthorne
with its picturesque grounds, owned and occupied by
Mr. Rhodes Hebblethwaite. From this point the
view stretches over the vales of Mowbray and of
York. In the extreme south-east corner of the parish
is Peep o' day Farm, with an old sandpit near it.
There are remains of old quarries in various parts of
Husthwaite Church from the South-east
The population of Carlton Husthwaite is concentrated almost entirely in the village. It has a
single street, at the west end of which are the
Manor House Farm and the old Hall. There is a
chapel of ease here, built in the 17th century, and
served by the vicar of Husthwaite. The village has
also a Wesleyan chapel and reading and recreation
In 1086 the Archbishop of York (fn. 2) had
4½ carucates in the Carlton which was
afterwards called Carlton Husthwaite. The
vill of Husthwaite is not mentioned in the Survey, but
the two vills later formed part of the same manor, as
they do at the present day. (fn. 3)
At the beginning of the 14th century HUSTHWAITE AND CARLTON were held by the dean
and chapter of the cathedral, (fn. 4) and a prebend of
Husthwaite had been formed and endowed with the
manor, (fn. 5) probably by the first Norman archbishop.
The prebendary appears to have been lord of the
manor throughout the history of the prebend.
In 1649, when prebends were temporarily abolished
by Act of Parliament, Husthwaite Manor, with the
capital messuage or manor-house, was sold by the
Parliamentary trustees for the sale of the cathedral
lands to Adam Baynes. (fn. 6) It appears that the late prebendary had let it in 1637 to Rowland Sand of
Mansfield Woodhouse. After the restoration the
manor again became the property of the restored prebendary. (fn. 7) The Ecclesiastical Commissioners were
empowered to sell the property of the prebend in
1853, (fn. 8) and seem to have done so to Mr. J. Dixon,
who was lord of the manor in 1857. From his hands
it came into those of Mr. William Harrison, who
was succeeded by Mr. Edward Harrison. He died
in 1911 and the manorial rights are at present in the
hands of his executors.
Plan of Husthwaite Church
Once in the 17th century and again in the 19th
Husthwaite is described as belonging to persons other
than the prebendary. In 1664 George Denham was
hanged for treason at York, and his estate, including
'the manor and lands at Husthwaite,' was forfeited. (fn. 9)
In 1816 John Clough was party to a fine with
George Cottam concerning five-sixths of 'the manor
of Husthwaite.' (fn. 10) These persons must have been
either lessees under the prebendary or owners of smaller
estates in the parish.
The Prior of Newburgh obtained land in Carlton
and Husthwaite from the Mowbrays. The grant
was confirmed by John Mowbray in 1333–4. (fn. 11) After
the Dissolution this land remained for some time in
the hands of the king, who appointed bailiffs for the
possessions of Newburgh in this neighbourhood in
1544 (fn. 12) and 1545. (fn. 13) In the latter year a messuage
in Carlton Husthwaite which had belonged to
Newburgh was leased to Robert Kitchingman. (fn. 14) His
family probably had further grants of the lands of
the priory. They appear holding tenements in
Husthwaite in 1659. (fn. 15)
The parish church of ST. NICHOLAS
consists of a chancel 22 ft. 9 in. by 15 ft.
6 in., nave 50 ft. 6 in. by 19 ft. 11 in.,
south porch and west tower 10 ft. 6 in. square. These
measurements are all internal.
The church dates from the 12th century. Windows
were inserted in the chancel at the end of the 14th
century, and the west tower is an addition of the
following century. A doorway was inserted in the
south wall of the chancel in 1683 and the porch
was built in 1878. The south windows of the nave,
which were square-headed with wood frames, were
replaced by the present stone ones in 1896. The
entire building has lately undergone another restoration, during which the chancel, nave and tower have
all been reroofed, the walls thoroughly grouted and
strengthened, the south-west corner of the nave being
rebuilt and the south wall underpinned.
The east window of the chancel is modern and of
two trefoiled lights. In the north wall is a blocked
round-headed 12th-century window, and further
west a partially blocked rectangular low-side window,
now occupied by a small round-headed light. In the
south wall are two late 14th-century windows, each
of two trefoiled ogee lights under square heads without labels. Beneath the first is a trefoiled 15thcentury piscina. The doorway between the two
windows has a flat four-centred arch and above it
is carved the date 1683. The chancel arch, which is
semicircular and of a square section, is of the original
date. North of it is a roughly-cut squint from the
nave into the chancel, evidently later work.
The only window in the
north wall of the nave is a
small round-headed 12thcentury light. The north
doorway is now closed up;
it has a round arch and
jambs of a single chamfered
order with chamfered abaci
and a label apparently
double - chamfered. The
three south windows of the
nave are modern insertions,
and are each of two lights
with a circular piercing
over; the straight joint left
by the former square windows can still be seen. The
south doorway is a good
and rather unusual example of about 1140; the
jambs are of three orders with engaged half-round
shafts facing inwards (that is, to the east and west)
instead of to the south. The outer east shaft is
missing, but its capital remains; it is carved with
volutes, as are also the capitals of the two western
shafts; that of the inner eastern shaft has flutes or
small scallops. The abaci are plain chamfered. The
doorway is set in a rebate in the innermost order to
open outwards. The arch is round and of two orders
enriched with the cheveron and has a label carved
with a triple billet-moulding.
The tower, which is unbroken below the bellchamber stage, opens into the nave by a pointed archway of a single small chamfered order. The west
window is of three cinquefoiled lights under a fourcentred arch with sunk spandrels; it has no label.
A small rectangular loop in the south wall has been
filled in, but there is a small trefoiled light to the
first floor. The western angles of the tower are
strengthened by diagonal buttresses reaching to the
moulded string below the bell-chamber, which is
lighted by original windows of two cinquefoiled
lights under square heads. The parapet is plain, as
are also those of the chancel and nave, though there
are traces of the bases of pinnacles. The roofs of
the chancel and nave are flat and covered with lead;
they have been much repaired, but retain a few old
The oldest walling is of rubble stone, but in the
north wall of the nave is a length of walling with
squared rough ashlar, as though it had been rebuilt at
some subsequent period. The walling is also of a
different character above the chancel arch.
The octagonal font is modern, but there is a 17thcentury cover with a crown of four shaped pieces.
It is inscribed 'Baptizetur unus quisque vestrum
nomine Jesu Christi. Acta 2. 38.' On the floor of
the tower are a square stone basin or stoup and an
ancient oak chest.
There are several 18th-century monuments to the
masters of Coxwold
School and others,
including an Archdeacon of Cleveland.
There are three
bells: the first by
S. Smith of York,
dated 1707, and
the second 'Jhesus
be our spede 1621';
and the third
populum voco 1726,'
by E. Seller, 1726.
The plate includes
a silver cup without
marks, a second silver
cupand a silver paten,
both presented by
Sir George Orby
Wombwell in 1899,
a plated paten presented in 1895, a
pewter flagon inscribed 'Husthwaite
1712. Ex dono
Robti Midgley clerici,' a mounted cruet and a brass
The registers, which include entries for Carlton,
begin in 1674.
The chapel at CARLTON HUSTHWAITE is a
small rectangular building with a small bell-turret at
the west end, and is probably all of the date of the
pulpit and bells, 1677–8. It has an 18th-century east
window of three lights. There is no north window in
the building. In the south wall are four windows, each
of two plain ogee-headed lights. The south doorway
is round-headed with moulded jambs and arch. A
round-headed archway opens into the bell-turret from
the nave. The bell-chamber is lighted by single
ogee-headed lights in each wall; it contains two bells
by S. Smith of York, dated 1677. The roof is a
gabled one covered with slates, and has a flat boarded
ceiling with old timbers. The stone font is modern.
The pulpit, which has a sounding-board, is dated
1678, and the pews, &c., are worked up from some
of the same date.
The plate includes a silver cup and paten, both
bearing the London mark of 1719, and a pewter
Husthwaite Church: The Nave looking East
Elizabeth Vavasour left 3s. 4d.
to the fabric of St. Nicholas Church
at Husthwaite in 1498. (fn. 16) It belonged before the Dissolution to Newburgh Priory. (fn. 17)
It is not clear at what date it was granted to the
priory, which, however, had possessions in Husthwaite
and Carlton Husthwaite in the 14th century. (fn. 18) It
is possible that Husthwaite, like several other villages
in the neighbourhood, was a chapelry of Coxwold.
In 1542 the 'parish church of Hustwayte and
Carleton' was leased to John Dawnay for twenty-one
years. (fn. 19) In 1546, however, it was granted, with the
church of Coxwold and the chapels of Carlton and
Over Silton, to Trinity College, Cambridge. (fn. 20) The
advowson remained in the possession of the college
till 1864, though during the 18th century and the
early part of the 19th it appears to have been leased,
like Coxwold, to Lord Fauconberg. (fn. 21)
In 1856 the perpetual curacies of Husthwaite and
Birdforth were united by an Order in Council, and
it was arranged that the patrons of the two churches
should present alternately. (fn. 22) In 1864, however, the
Ecclesiastical Commissioners, with the consent of
Trinity College, (fn. 23) transferred the patronage of the
united benefice altogether to the Archbishop of
York, who was patron of Birdforth, and the advowson
is still in the hands of the archbishop.
The charities at present existing
in the parish were, by an order of
the Charity Commissioners dated
12 January 1897, amalgamated, and a scheme established for their administration, comprising the charities following, namely:—
William Duffield alias Driffield, will, 1778, trust
fund, £79 17s. 2d. consols.
George Wailes, will, 1790, £15 19s. 7d. consols.
Rev. Robert Pierson, will, 1805, £15 19s. 7d.
Thomas Wilkinson, will, 1819, £175 15s. 4d.
Thomas Smith, will, 1859, £47 18s. 5d. consols.
The several sums of stock are held by the official
By the scheme the income of William Duffield's
charity, about £2 a year, is applied in prizes or
awards (not exceeding 5s.) to poor children who have
been scholars for not less than two years in the public
elementary school. The income of the remaining
charities, about £6 6s. a year, is applied for the
general benefit of the poor, including subscriptions to
provident clubs, medical or other aid in sickness.
An ancient donation of £2 12s. a year, mentioned
in the table of benefactions as left by Mr. George
Potts for supplying white bread to be given every
Sunday in the church, has ceased to be paid since
1820; and 5s. a year, formerly received in respect of
£5 left for the use of the poor by Mrs. Ann Dixon,
has also ceased to be paid.
Township and Chapelry of Carlton Husthwaite:—
The Poor's Money and Unknown Donors' Charities consist of an annuity of £2 paid by Sir George
Wombwell, bart., out of a farm in this township,
together with a rent-charge of 9s. under the title of
Welbeck's Charity. The poor also receive the interest
of £60 in the Thirsk Savings Bank. These charities
are distributed in money to twelve recipients.
There is a further sum of £102 in the same bank,
the interest of which is paid to a medical man for
attending the poor.
In 1856 Ann Mettrick, by will proved at York, left
a legacy for educational purposes. The legacy was invested in £334 17s. 7d. consols with the official trustees.
By a scheme of the Charity Commissioners dated
7 February 1899 the income, amounting to £8 6s.,
is applied in prizes and exhibitions to children
attending the elementary schools and in maintenance
of evening classes.