THE WAPENTAKE OF GILLING EAST
containing the parishes of Ainderby Steeple; Barton; Bolton-upon-Swale; Cleasby; East Cowton; Croft; Danby Wiske; Kirkby Wiske; Great Langton; Manfield; Middleton Tyas; Great Smeaton (fn. 1)
Index Map to the Wapentake of Gilling East
The history and descent of this wapentake are given under the account
of Richmondshire (q.v.). With few exceptions the boundaries have
remained unchanged since the 13th century. Middleton Tyas, Dalton Norris
and Forcett were then returned under both Gilling East and Gilling West.
Kneeton, afterwards in Gilling East, was given under Gilling West, and the
township of Gilmonby, later in Gilling West, was then taken in Gilling East. (fn. 2)
|| This list is from the Pop. Ret. of 1831. For the history of the wapentake see Richmondshire.
|| Kirkby's Inq. (Surt. Soc.), 167, 169–70, 179–80.