XXII—SITE OF THE COW AND HARE
The present Survey commences at the junction of Swain's Lane
with West Hill, Highgate, north of which, enclosed by the two thoroughfares, formerly stood the Cow and Hare Inn. The site is now occupied by
the church of St. Anne, Brookfield, and its Vicarage. Its earlier ownership
is given in detail in the first part of the Survey of St. Pancras (Highgate,
p. 68). An engraving of the inn is given on Plate 2, the view being taken
from Swain's' Lane looking westwards towards Parliament Hill Fields.
The engraving hangs in the Highgate Literary and Scientific Institution,
and used to bear an erroneous inscription to the effect that the inn stood on
the site of the Institution, at the northern end of Swain's Lane. The incorrectness of this identification is patent and is confirmed by the footpath
shown in the drawing, which is the old right of way known as Bromwich
Walk (see Highgate, p. 68) that crossed the lane and continued for a short
distance towards Kentish Town. It can be seen clearly on Rocque's Map
of London and ten miles round, from a survey made 1741–5.