(Formerly Upper Rathbone Place, and (earlier) Glanville Street, also incorporating
Bennett Street or Court)
The eastern frontage of the northern extension of Rathbone Street,
known until recently as Upper Rathbone Place, was formerly within the parish
of St. Pancras, the boundary passing between the east and west sides of the
street in an oblique line. The alteration of the bounds in 1900 has now put
the whole street into St. Marylebone.
Both Rathbone Place and Upper Rathbone Place were at first
known as Glanville Street and in 1765 William Franks had already built
Percy Chapel which filled the central space between the northern part of the
street and Charlotte Street. At the same time the land north and south
of the chapel was let on building leases (1766), and the corner house at the
junction of Percy Street with Glanville Street (Upper Rathbone Place) was
leased by William Franks to Joseph Francis in 1765 and assigned by
Edmund Pepys and Joseph Francis to Bartholomew Hammond on 16th
July, 1767. (ref. 27) This house is now a public house known as the Marquis of
Granby and its south-west corner touches the old parish boundary. It still
shows an oval metal plate with the initials S.P.P. 1791. (fn. *) The building is
of simple Georgian type three storeys high with parapet and dormer windows
to a mansard roof. The walls above the ground floor are rendered in cement
and the windows have external moulded architraves. The remaining houses
in the street have been rebuilt.
Just south of Percy Street (though now outside the parish) was the
residence of the Rev. Anthony Stephen Matthew, the first incumbent of
Percy Chapel. In the lease of 1764 he is described as of Cecil Street, St.
Martin-in-the-Fields. His house (then No. 27) was on the east side of the
way, the second north of the archway to Percy Mews which was constructed
at this time.
The northern section of Rathbone Street incorporates Bennett
Court (formerly Bennett Street) which turns west from Charlotte Street and
connects it with the top of what was formerly Upper Rathbone Place. At
its north west corner stands the Duke of York public house to which is affixed
one of the parish boundary plates, with the date 1791. The building is
now rendered externally in cement. On the eastern side of the Duke of York
Charlotte Place (formerly Little Charlotte Street) runs northwards to Goodge
Street. There is one original house on the north side of Bennett Court
(No. 53 Rathbone Street), of four storeys with good entrance doorway,
circular-headed, with pedimental hood on brackets. The houses on the south
side have mostly been refronted or rendered in cement but Nos. 44 and 46
retain their old wrought iron railings with cast iron urns on the standards.
The building leases of these houses (granted by William Franks) date
chiefly from 1766.
||Mr. Beresford Chancellor in London's Old Latin Quarter (p. 98) notes these initials but does not
recognize them as signifying St. Pancras Parish. Tompson marks this plate on his map of 1796–1804.
Ibid., 1765/6/223 and 1767/6/18.