Howland Street

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

J. R. Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1949

Supporting documents

Pages

42-43

Addenda / corrigenda

Any material between chevrons <> has come to light since publication. Anyone interested in the sources for this new material should contact the Survey of London

Citation Show another format:

'Howland Street', Survey of London: volume 21: The parish of St Pancras part 3: Tottenham Court Road & neighbourhood (1949), pp. 42-43. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65166 Date accessed: 27 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

LI—HOWLAND STREET

Howland Street, which joins Cleveland Street and Tottenham Court Road north of Charlotte Street, was laid out between 1776 and 1791. (ref. 43) The houses on both sides have now practically disappeared through destruction by air-raids. The house on the north side at the east corner of Whitfield Street is damaged. Its railings still stand. West of Whitfield Street, Nos. 18, 20 and 22 (numbering from east to west) survive with their cement-faced fronts.

West of Fitzroy Street, at the corner, stands a three-storey house with balconies to the first floor and adjoining it to the west is No. 38. Opposite, on the south side, is the corner house No. 98 Charlotte Street and the next house on the west; these retain some semblance of the original street scheme with their plain stock brick frontages. The stout iron railings have standards with cast-iron vases with flaming tops.

Inhabitants

No. 8.1808, Rev. Peter Well.
No. 10.1794(?)–1808, Francis Jukes (1745–1812) engraver in aquatint, chiefly of topographical drawings but also of shipping. After living in Howland Street for twenty years he moved to Upper John Street (now Whitfield Street).
No. 11.1860, John Derbishire, surgeon.
No. 12.1818, Frederick Nash, possibly the water colour painter who excelled inarchitectural drawing.
No. 13.1783–1788, Rev. Dr. Wingfield, followed by Mrs. Wingfield and Grace and Bridget Wingfield (up to 1812). 1835–1848, William Fisk (1796–1872), painter. Exhibited at the Royal Academy and painted large historical pictures. Retired to Danbury, Essex, where he died. His son Will Henry Fisk (1827–1884) was a painter and drawing master. The entry in the rate-books for 1835–1846 is William Fisk, senior.
No. 17.1788, General Plaistow. 1794–1798, Rev. P. Lescure.
No. 19.1804–1822, John Murphy (fl. 1780–1822), engraver. Born in Ireland and came to London, his work being chiefly in mezzotint. He engraved historical subjects and was also a portrait draughtsman. His residence here in 1820 is on record.
No. 20.1848, John Wilson Carmichael (1800–1868), marine painter. Born at Newcastle and lived there until 1845 when he came to London. In 1862 he moved to Scarborough where he died.
No. 21.1779–1783, William Gowing, the builder who built many of the houses in Charlotte Street and its neighbourhood. His daughter Charlotte married James Mitan, the engraver. William Gowing was followed by Susan Gowing (1788). 1797, Sir Michael Crombie. 1804, Rev. Samuel Henley.
No. 23.1788, Stephen Storace (1763–1796), musical composer, brother of Anna Storace, the prima donna. (See No. 36.) He started as a violinist, then taught drawing and later engaged in operatic composition. He married the daughter of John Hale, line-engraver, and died at his house, 27 Percy Street (see above). He was followed by other members of the Gowing family, Susannah (1794–1808) and Stephen (1812–1826). In 1848 John Robert, uncle and Thomas Francis, father of Sir Frank Dicksee lived here. See also No. 2 Fitzroy Square.
No. 25.1822–1824, Augustus Sayer. This may have been Augustin Sayer (1790–1861), physician and medical writer. He was physician to the Lock Hospital and member of the Marylebone representative council. He died in Upper Seymour Street.
No. 28.1804–1822, William Daniel. This may have been the landscape painter (1769–1837) nephew of Thomas Daniel, R.A., whose name occurs in 37 Howland Street. They both went to India in 1784 and returned ten years later. William died at New Camden Town.
No. 30.1794–1812, John Abraham[s], builder. Possibly the same family as Robert Abraham, see No. 16 Percy Street.
No. 32.1808, Rev. William Coppard.
No. 34.1818–1822, Thomas Cobham (1786–1842), actor. In his earlier days he appeared at the Tottenham Street Theatre under Penley. (See p. 39.) He acted in Shakespeare's plays with Kean, to whom his admirers considered him a rival.
No. 35.1794, Sir William Dunkin.
No. 36.1794, Miss Storace. Anna Selina Storace (1766–1817), vocalist and actress, sister of Stephen Storace. In 1777 she had a benefit concert at the Tottenham Street Concert Rooms (later Prince of Wales Theatre). She sang in Italy and was married to John Abraham Fisher, violinist, but left him because of his cruelty. In 1808 she retired to Herne Hill Cottage, Dulwich. 1830–1837, Robert John Thornton (1768?–1837), botanical and medical writer, son of Bonnell Thornton the writer and wit. He wrote Illustrations of the Sexual System of Linnaeus, The British Flora, and other works. He died at his house in Howland Street.
No. 37.1797–1808, Thomas Daniel, probably Thomas Daniel, R.A. (1749–1840) brother of William Daniel, landscape Painter (see No. 28 Howland Street). Thomas died at Earl's Terrace, Kensington. <1816-1826 John Farey, senior (1766-1826) geologist. Agent to Duke of Bedford, 1792-1826. Practised as a consulting surveyor and mineralogist throughout the country and made important collections illustrating geology. Investigator of the mathematical basis of music and sound. Published General View of the Agriculture of Derbyshire, 3 vols (1811-17) and was a prolific author on scientific and miscellaneous topics. His son, John Farey junior (1791-1851), technical writer, draughtsman and consulting patent engineer, had his office here from 1816 to 1821, and was assisted by his brother Joseph (1796-1829). John Farey junior wrote the bulk of his Treatise on the Steam Engine here. From 1826 to 1830 in occupation of Sophia Farey (1770-1830), widow of John senior, and from 1830 to 1835 in occupation of Sophia Farey (1793-1843), their daughter (information from A. P. Woolrych, February 1984).>
No. 38b.1812, William Ballantine. Father of William Ballantine, Sergeant-at-law, who was born here (see also No. 92 Gower Street). He was called to the bar from the Inner Temple, was magistrate of the Thames Police and controlled the Thames Police Force, 1821–1848. He died at 89 Cadogan Place, Chelsea, aged 73. 1830, Paul Bedford (1792?–1871), comedian and singer. A farewell benefit was given him at the Queen's Theatre, 18th May, 1868. He died at Lindsey Place, Chelsea and was buried in Norwood Cemetery.
No. 39a.1788, Captain James Nicholson.
No. 42.1830, James Heath, see 15, Fitzroy Street.
No. 44.1798–1804, John Monkhouse, attorney.
No. 45.1794–1848, Benjamin Goode, attorney.

References

43. Ibid., 1824/6/614.


<--Previous:
Chitty Street
Next:-->
Fitzroy Street