|No. 88.||1808–1816, Captain Thomas Murray. 1829–1841, Richard Young Vance, surgeon.
1842–1843, Arthur Woodhouse, surgeon. 1864–1882, Bartholomew Archdekin Duncan,
|No. 89.||1827–1832, The Rev. William Agutter, (1758–1835) Chaplain and Secretary to the
Asylum for Female Orphans in London. He was famous for his sermons.|
|No. 90.||1790–1791, Colonel Lewis Mestayer (d. 1791). 1856–1857, Edmund Humphrey
Woolrych, metropolitan police court magistrate (d. 1883).|
|No. 91.||1790–1825, George Dance (1741–1825), architect and surveyor to the City of London.
Designed Newgate Prison. He was a foundation member of the Royal Academy and
elected F.S.A. (1794). He was professor of architecture at the Royal Academy 1798–1805. He died at his house in (Upper) Gower Street and was buried in St. Paul's
Cathedral. 1840–1871, John Patch, barrister.|
|No. 92.||1789–1792, William Dickinson Rastell (1756–1822), topographer and legal writer,
son of Dr. William Rastell, vicar general of Southwell. He wrote histories of Southwell
and Newark beside legal treatises. In 1795 he dropped his surname of Rastell, using his
second name Dickinson instead. 1847–1851, William Ballantine (1812–1887)
sergeant-at-law, born in Howland Street (q.v.). Admitted to the Inner Temple and
called to the bar, 1834. Serjeant-at-law, 1856. He had a great reputation as counsel
owing to his brilliant powers of cross-examination. He was well known in literary and
theatrical circles and published volumes of his reminiscences. 1861–1876, John Robson,
|No. 93.||1801–1804, Captain James Monro of Hadley. 1841, Alexander Delisser, surgeon.
1842–1843, John Smith, surgeon. 1876–1879, Alfred Peart Gould, surgeon.|
|No. 94.||For nearly 70 years the home of the Seaman family: 1792–1825, Richard Seaman.
1826–1831, Samuel Seaman. 1833–1849, Benjamin Pierce Seaman. 1846–1858,
Benjamin Cruttall Pierce Seaman, F.L.S. 1859–1861, Mrs. Seaman. 1862–1870,
Josiah Webber, architect.|
|No. 95.||1790–1795, Major George Drummond. 1795–1827, Mrs. Ann Drummond. 1851–1853, Klein Grant, physician. 1856–1862, The Rev. Aaron Levy Green. 1865–1868,
Samuel Hare, consulting surgeon.|
|No. 96.||1818–1830, Sir James Parke, afterwards Baron Wensleydale, (1782–1868, judge, was
son of Thomas Parke, merchant of Liverpool. He was called to the bar at the Inner
Temple (1813). He took the house in Gower Street after his marriage in 1817 and
is entered on the rate-books as barrister. In 1828 he was raised to the King's Bench and
knighted. In 1834 he was transferred to the Court of Exchequer and in 1856 was raised
to the peerage. He died at Ampthill, Beds. 1847–1858, Dr. Nathaniel Wallich
F.R.S., physician. 1859–1876, Mrs. Wallich.|
|No. 97.||1824–1841, The Rev. Thomas Rackett (1757–1841), antiquary. He graduated M.A.
at University College, Oxford in 1780 and was presented to the rectory of Spetisbury
with Charlton-Mushell, Dorset, which he held for more than 60 years. He was F.S.A.,
F.R.S. and Fellow of the Linnæan Society. He was a good draughtsman and musician
and studied conchology and astronomy besides writing papers on archaeological subjects.
1842, John Royle, M.D. (1799–1858), surgeon and naturalist. Entered service of
East India Company as assistant surgeon and became superintendent of the garden at
Saharunpore and made an important collection of plants. Returned to England (1831),
appointed professor of materia medica King's College and elected F.R.S. (1837).
Commissioner for the 1851 Exhibition. Numerous publications.|
|No. 98.||1789–1836, William Bentham, barrister. 1840–1851, Mrs. Bentham. 1873, Bruce
James Talbot, architect. 1873–1875, George Cook, artist in stained glass.|
|No. 99.||1856–1863, Captain Vernon Abbott and Vernon Montagu Abbott, solicitor. 1873–1876,
William Lomas, physician.|
|No. 100.||1838–1843, Dr. Frederick Leighton. 1849–1868, George Pycock Green, artist. 1872–1885, George Pycock Everett Green.|
|No. 101.||1791–1795, William Marsden (1754–1836), orientalist and numismatist. Was with
the East India Company at Sumatra (1771–9). Established an East India agency with
his brother in Gower Street. First Secretary of the Admiralty, 1804–7. Treasurer
and Vice-president of the Royal Society. D.C.L. (Oxon.). Lived latterly at Edge
Grove, Aldenham, Herts. Wrote History of Sumatra, Dictionary and Grammar of the
Malayan Language, and Numismata Orientalia. 1839–1846, Dr. George Man Burrows
(1771–1846), physician. Founder of the association of Surgeon Apothecaries and was
instrumental in passing the Apothecaries Act, 1815. In 1816 he retired from general
practice and studied and wrote on insanity, establishing asylums at Chelsea and Clapham.|
|No. 102.||1790–1806, Captain Thomas Newte, of Sutton, Surrey. 1807–1812, Serjeant Clayton.
1848–1868, W. Balkeley Glass, Q.C. 1869–1885, William John Belt, F.S.A.|
|No. 103.||1824–1849(?), Jonathan Birch. The dates do not entirely tally but this may be Jonathan
Buil (1783–1847) the translator of Faust, who went to Germany in 1847 and died there.
1861–1885, Alexander Davis Cooper, landscape painter.|
|No. 104.||1836–1866, Thomas Chitty (1802–1878), special pleader and legal writer, second son
of Joseph Chitty (1776–1841), legal writer who lived and died in Southampton Street
(now Conway Street). He edited standard law books and wrote Forms of Practical
Proceedings (Chitty's Forms). He died at Lancaster Gate. 1874–1875, John Rylands
(1801–1888), merchant and manufacturer of St. Helens, Lancs. His philanthropic
works are well known and his widow built the John Rylands Library at Manchester as
a memorial to her husband, with the valuable collections it contains. 1877, Edwin
Clarke (1814–1894), appointed by Robert Stephenson as Superintending Engineer of
the Menai Straits Bridge and published The Britannia and Conway Tubular Bridge. Took
out a patent for electric telegraphs (1850). Awarded Telford and Watts medals. He
died at Cromwell House, Marlow.|
|No. 105.||1803–1853, Captain John Crichton. 1853–1859, The Rev. William Crichton. 1862,
Charles H. Beazley, artist.|
|No. 106.||1866–1867, Simeon Solomon (1840–1905), painter. He worked in the Gower Street
studio of his brother, Abraham Solomon (1823–1862), painter. Entered Royal Academy
Schools and painted scriptural subjects in the pre-raphaelite manner. Friend of Rossetti,
Burne Jones and Swinburne. His later life was a tragic decline and he died in St. Giles'
workhouse; 1868–1870, Sir Edward John Poynter, (1836–1919), first baronet, painter
and president of the Royal Academy. Was first Slade Professor at University College
(1871). Director of Art, South Kensington (1875). Director of the National Gallery
(1894). President R.A. (1896–1918).|
|No. 107.||1856–1861, Alexander Johnston (1815–1891), painter, born at Edinburgh, entered
Royal Academy Schools (1836). He painted portraits at first and later historical pictures.
Exhibited at the R.A. from 1836. He died at 21 Carlingford Road, Hampstead.|
|No. 108.||1845–1869, Henry Baker, architect. 1869–1874, William Arthur Baker, and William
Baker, architects. 1875–1878, Henry Baker, architect. 1880, Charles Baker, 1881,
|No. 110.||1801–1804, Captain Allen Cooper. 1829–1831, Leonard Horner, geologist and warden
of University College. 1840–1842, Charles Robert Darwin (1809–1882), the famous
naturalist and author of The Origin of Species. Took No. 12 (now 110) Gower Street
on his marriage to his cousin Emma Wedgwood, the daughter of his uncle Josiah Wedgwood and the granddaughter of the founder of the Etruria works. In 1842 he moved
to the village of Down in Kent. 1848–1859, Christopher Temple, Q.C. 1871–1878,
Rev. Emeric Podolski (Polish Catholic Chapel).|
|No. 111.||1875–1877, John Surtees, artist.|
|No. 112.||1830–1864, Lancelot Hare, surgeon. 1844–1858, Robert Hare, solicitor.|
|No. 113.||1791–1825, Captain William Smith. 1827–1849, Peter De Wint (1784–1849),
landscape-painter. (See No. 10 Percy Street.) His wife Harriett, sister of William
Hilton, R.A. remained here till 1867. According to Beresford Chancellor (London
Old Latin Quarter, p. 250) Hilton died at this house in 1839.|
|No. 114.||1830–1858, John Pritt Harley (1786–1858) actor and singer, succeeded John Bannister
at Drury Lane and played at Covent Garden with Macready and Madame Vestris.
He excelled in Shakespearean clowns. He died at 14 Upper Gower Street (now No.
114) and was buried at Kensal Green. 1823–1829, James Heywood Markland (1788–1864), antiquary. Trained as solicitor but entered his father's manufacturing business.
Retired to Malvern in 1839 and to Bath in 1841. F.S.A. (1809), Director of the Society
(1827–29), Member of the Roxburgh Club and made D.C.L. (Oxon.). Wrote
numerous archaeological papers. 1875, Charles Mileham and John Levock, architects.|
|No. 115.||1827–1832, Captain George Saltwell. 1836, Mrs. Saltwell.|
|No. 116.||1827–1832, Francis Douce (1757–1834), antiquary. Keeper of Manuscripts. British
Museum. Published Illustrations of Shakespeare (1807) and contributed to Archaeologia.
Bequeathed his MSS. prints and coins to the Bodleian and his unpublished essays to
the British Museum. 1848–1868, Stephen Temple, barrister. 1869, Edmund Temple.|
|No. 117.||1829–1832, Edward Turner (1798–1837), chemist. Born in Jamaica, educated at
Edinburgh. First professor of chemistry, University College, London (1828–37).
M.D. and F.R.S. Wrote Elements of Chemistry. He died at Hampstead and was
buried at Kensal Green.|
|No. 119.||1871–1882, Dr. Robert Coales, M.A., LL.D., university tutor.|
|No. 125.||1821–1822, Archdeacon of Lincoln. 1823–1827, Archdeacon Goddard.|
|No. 126.||1856–1862, Lewis Pocock (1808–1882), art amateur. One of the founders of the Art
Union of London. Published a work on Life Assurance. F.S.A. Collaborated with
George Godwin. He died at No. 20 (later No. 126) Gower Street and was buried at
Highgate. This house is now destroyed. (The D.N.B. gives No. 70 for No. 20.)|
|No. 127.||1842, J. B. Thompson, surgeon.|
|No. 128.||1836–1840, Michael Joseph Quin (1796–1843,) traveller and political writer. He was
called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn and wrote for the Morning Chronicle. He edited The
Monthly Review (1825–30) and was first writer of the Dublin Review. He died at
Boulogne. This house is now destroyed.|
|No. 129.||1844–1846, Henry Wylde (1822–1890), Gresham Professor of Music, was son of
Henry Wylde, senior, and was born at Bushey, Herts. The tenant of No. 129 may have
been the father. 1858–59, Louis Kossuth, (1802–1894) the Hungarian patriot, lived
in England from 1852 to 1859, after the collapse of his attempt to make Hungary
independent of the Austrian Emperor. While here he was in close touch with Mazzini,
also a refugee in London.|
|No. 131.||1824–1831, James Maurice Davis, miniature painter.|
|No. 133.||1823–1826, Sir Edward Ryan (1793–1875), called to the bar at Lincoln's Inn, 1817.
In 1826 he was appointed puisne judge of the Supreme Court of Calcutta and was
knighted. He returned to England in 1843 and became a privy councillor, a railway
commissioner and a commissioner of the Civil Service, where he did valuable work.
He was a member of the Senate of London University and Vice-chancellor, 1871–4.
He was F.G.S. (1846) and F.R.S. (1860).|
|No. 135.||1829–1836, Kenyon S. Parker, barrister. 1838–1845, Samuel Bush Toller, barrister.
1856–1859, Frederic Ouvry (1814–1881), antiquary, son of Peter Aimé Ouvry and
nephew of John Payne Collier, the Shakespearean critic. He was a solicitor, partner of
Farrers of Lincoln's Inn Fields and was elected F.S.A. in 1848. From 1854–74 he
was treasurer of the Society and president, 1876–8. He was a close friend of Charles
Dickens and collected a very fine library. He died at 12 Queen Anne Street. 1869,
Lady Creasy, the wife of Sir Edward Shepherd Creasy (1812–1878), author of Fifteen
Decisive Battles of the World. From 1860 to 1869 Creasy was chief justice in Ceylon
and returned to England through ill health.|