LXX—UNIVERSITY MEMORIAL HALL, GORDON STREET
(formerly All Saints Church)
All Saints Church, Consecrated on 19th December, 1842, was
designed by Thomas Leverton Donaldson, Professor of Architecture at
University College. It was closed in 1909 and was converted into a memorial
hall in connection with the same college by Professor A. E. Richardson,
R.A. in 1928.
The building was a plain parallelogram with galleries and its eastern
elevation to Gordon Street was of brick, designed in a pseudo-Greek manner.
The front was crowned by a pediment and entablature with four brick pilasters
with stone capitals. A subsidiary frieze was introduced between the capitals.
The central two-light window was framed between the middle pair of pilasters
and there were two entrance doorways with semicircular carved overdoors.
A brick cupola surmounted the pediment. The accompanying drawing gives
the elevation as modified by Professor Richardson to meet conditions imposed
by ecclesiastical authority.
University Memorial Hall—Elevation of Street Front
While the general lines of the original church determined the scope
of the remodelling, spacious galleries were introduced, the walls were
panelled and external staircases were added. The dominant feature of the
interior was the coffered cedar wood ceiling. The building was totally
destroyed by a high explosive bomb in 1940.
The list of incumbents of All Saints Church is as follows—
|1852||William Gleed Armstrong|
|1854||Robert William Burton|
|1857||Annesley Paul Hughes|
|1860||Henry Thomas Rees|
|1862||Arthur Richard Godson|
|1905||John Arthur Garton (to 1909)|
Gordon Street inhabitants
<No. 11 (later No. 3 and now destroyed). c.1853-1859, Mark Lemon (1809-1870), co-founder of Punch.>>