LXXII—WOBURN LODGE, UPPER WOBURN PLACE
Immediately south of St. Pancras Church, on the east side of Upper
Woburn Place, stood Woburn Lodge, a stuccoed house of two storeys, the
front of which showed a pillared porch between two elliptically-curved bays.
A broad moulded band surrounded the building at first-floor level and a deep
moulded cornice at eaves level. The house, which was designed by William
Inwood, the architect of St. Pancras Church, was chiefly interesting because
of its plan. It was arranged in two sections connected by elliptical and circular
vestibules. The S.E. part consisted of two rooms with embowed end walls;
the N.W. part was nearly twice as long and contained a front room balancing
that in the S.E. part, with stairs and small rooms between it and a long back
room on the first floor. This room had a range of circular-headed windows
on both sides and an enriched cornice.
Woburn Lodge, Plan
The date of the lease of the site by Lord Southampton to William
Inwood was 7th January, 1824, (ref. 96) and this and the adjoining house are mentioned as being in course of erection. Woburn Lodge is shown in the
architect's perspective drawing of St. Pancras Church and it would seem to
have been intended to be used in connection with the church. It appears
however, according to the rate-books, to have been privately occupied from
1854. Some measured drawings of the house, made before its demolition,
were published in The Architect and Building News (Obituaries of Buildings)
in January to March, 1930, from which the above plan is taken.