Description of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Sir Howard Roberts and Walter H. Godfrey (editors)

Year published

1950

Pages

9-15

Citation Show another format:

'Description of plates', Survey of London: volume 22: Bankside (the parishes of St. Saviour and Christchurch Southwark) (1950), pp. IX-XV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65309 Date accessed: 02 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

DESCRIPTION OF THE PLATES (fn. *)

Frontispiece. London Bridge and part of Borough High Street in 1616From Visscher's view of London, reproduced by the London Topographical Society.
Plate
Key plan
1.Plan of Southwark, circa 1618From a plan in the Record Office of the City Corporation.
2.Part of Rocque's map, 1761From the Council's collection.
3."A Plott of the Counter Prison, the Kings Armes Tavern and other buildings," 1686From a plan made by William Capell, in the Record Office of the City Corporation.
4.Formation of the southern approach to new London Bridge, July, 1830From a lithograph in the Council's collection.
5.The tomb of John Gower, Southwark CathedralPhotograph in the possession of the National Buildings Record.
6.The memorial to William Emerson, Southwark CathedralPhotograph by F. Hyde.
7.The tomb of Lancelot Andrewes, Southwark CathedralPhotograph in the possession of the National Buildings Record.
8.Plan of Borough High Street, circa 1542From a plan in the Public Record Office.
9.(a) Extract from Horwood's Map, 1819;
(b) Plan of Borough High Street area based on 1875 Ordnance Survey
10.Plan of the College Almshouse estate, 1814From a survey by George Gwilt, in the possession of the Corporation of Wardens of St. Saviour.
11.(a) The market in Borough High Street, circa 1750From R. Bradley's Riches of a Hop Garden, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) The Borough Market House, 1810From a sketch in the Council's collection.
12.(a) Fishmonger Alley, looking towards Red Cross StreetFrom a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) No. 4 Green Dragon Court. Shop frontPhotograph by Edward Yates, F.S.A.
13.(a) "View of the town-hall, St. Margaret's Hill", prior to 1793From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
(b) The town hall, St. Margaret's Hill, circa 1850From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
14.(a) The Canterbury Pilgrims setting out from the Tabard InnFrom Urry's edition of Chaucer's works, published in 1721.
(b) The Tabard Inn, circa 1850From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
15.(a) King's Head public house, Borough High Street. Bust of King Henry VIII, 1943Photograph.
(b) The inner yard of the King's Head public house, Borough High Street, 1880Photograph by the Society for Photographing Relics of old London.
16.The George Inn, interior of saloon bar, 1947Photograph, copyright London News Agency.
17.The George Inn, 1880Photograph by the Society for Photographing Relics of Old London.
18.The George Inn, north and south elevationsMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
19.The George Inn. Staircase and external detailsMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
20.(a) The inn yard of the old White Hart, 1882From an etching by Percy Thomas, in the Council's collection.
(b) Back of the Queen's Head Inn, 1888From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
21.(a) The Grapes public-house, No. 2 St. Thomas Street, 1943Photograph.
(b) No. 83 Borough High Street, 1948Sketch of staircase by F. A. Evans.
22.No. 91 Borough High Street. Details of staircaseMeasured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
23.No. 91 Borough High Street. Details of niche cupboard on first floorMeasured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
24.(a) Nos. 38–52 Borough High Street, 1943Photograph.
(b) Calvert's Buildings, No. 50 Borough High Street, 1908Photograph.
25.No. 52 Borough High Street. Mantelpiece on first floorMeasured drawing by F. A. Evans.
26.(a) The King's Arms public-house, Newcomen Street, 1828From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Council's collection.
(b) Coat of arms on the King's Arms publichouse, Newcomen StreetPhotograph.
27.Guy's HospitalGround plan.
28.Guy's statue in the hospital courtyardPhotograph.
29.Guy's Hospital. Central block of front courtyardPhotograph.
30.Guy's Hospital. Entrance gates from St. Thomas Street, 1934Photograph.
31.Portrait of Thomas Guy from the court room of the hospitalPhotograph.
32.(a) Guy's Hospital. North-west wing of front courtyardPhotograph.
(b) Guy's Hospital. West quadrangle of the inner courtyard looking west, 1948Photograph.
33.(a) Guy's Hospital. Thomas Guy's chestPhotograph.
(b) Guy's Hospital. The court room (formerly the Martha Ward), 1948Photograph.
34.Guy's Hospital. Elevation to St. Thomas Street, section through central block and elevation of west wingMeasured drawings by Evelyn Prior.
35.Guy's Hospital. Interior of chapelPhotograph by F. Hyde.
36.Guy's Hospital. Details of chapelMeasured drawings by Evelyn Prior.
37.Guy's Hospital. Monument in chapelPhotograph.
38.(a) The Feathers, Winchester Yard, 1890From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
(b) Old houses in Clink Street, 1888From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
39.Entrance to Montague Close, "Gateway of St.Mary's Priory, Southwark", 1811From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
40.(a) Montague Close. "A North-west View of the House of William Parker, Lord Monteagle", 1825From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
(b) Old houses adjoining Saint Saviour's Dock, 1827From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
41."North View of Queen Elizabeth's Free Grammar School, St. Saviour's, Southwark", 1815From Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata.
42.(a) The Governors' Court Room, St. Saviour's Grammar School, 1826From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) The schoolroom, St. Saviour's Grammar School, 1826From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Guildhall Library.
43.Part of Hollar's View of London, 1647, showing Winchester House and BanksideFrom the reproduction issued by the London Topographical Society.
44.
45.(a) South view of the palace of the Bishops of WinchesterFrom an engraving in Wilkinson's Londina Illustrata, 1812.
(b) The remains of Winchester Palace, Clink Street, circa 1800From a sepia watercolour in the possession of the Corporation of Wardens.
46.Winchester Palace after the fire of 1814From an etching by J. Le Rous, in Beauties of Britain, 1828.
47.Remains of Winchester House. Details, 1943Measured drawings by F. H. Healey.
48.Remains of Winchester House. Plans, 1943Measured drawings by F. H. Healey.
49.The Bishop of Winchester's House, (a) Top of doorway on the south side of the great hall; (b) Elevations of doorway on the south side of the great hall. 1884From drawings by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
50.The Bishop of Winchester's House. Perspective view of great hall looking westFrom a drawing by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
51.(a) Remains of Winchester House, 1943. Eastern face of the upper portion of the rose window on fourth floor of warehouse; (b) Part of old rubble wall in warehouse wall after the demolition of the arch over Stoney StreetPhotographs.
52.The Bishop of Winchester's House. Rose windowFrom a drawing by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
53.The Bishop of Winchester's House. Details. 1884From measured drawings by F. T. Dollman, in the Guildhall Library.
54.(a) Old houses on Bankside, 1827From a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Nos. 50–52 Bankside, 1940Photograph.
55.(a) The Anchor public-house, No. 1 Bankside, 1948; (b) No. 49 Bankside, The Cardinal's Cap, 1946Photographs.
56.Honduras Wharf, No. 74 Bankside. (a) Doorway; (b) StaircasePhotographs.
57.(a) Old houses in Maid Lane (now Park Street), circa 1820From a watercolour drawing by G. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
(b) Old houses in Castle StreetFrom a sepia watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
58.Colour mill built out of the remains of Skelton's meeting house, on the south side of Maid Lane (now Park Street), 1812From watercolour drawings by G. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
59.Plan of Bankside, showing the Bishop of Winchester's property and the sites of the Elizabethan playhouses, inns, etc.Based on the Ordnance Survey.
60.(a) House of John Perkins, previously of Henry Thrale, in Park Street, just prior to its demolition in 1833From a drawing in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Nos. 22–26 Park Street, 1946Photograph.
61.Plan of the Anchor Brewhouse situate in Park Street, Southwark, 1792From the original map by G. Gwilt, junr., in the possession of Messrs. Barclay Perkins.
62.(a) No. 18 Union Street, 1890From a watercolour drawing by Appleton, in the Council's collection.
(b) Anchor Terrace, Nos. 1–15 Southwark Bridge Road, 1946Photograph.
63.(a) Nos. 59 and 61 Union Street. Doors to room on first floor; (b) Nos. 59 and 61 Union Street. Malting shed at rear, 1949Photographs.
64.(a) Zoar Street, 1912Photograph.
(b) The schoolroom under the Zoar Street meeting houseFrom an engraving published by Wilkinson in 1822.
65."A Mapp of the Mannor or Lordship of Old Paris Garden Surveyed 1627"From the original plan in the possession of the trustees of Christ Church Parochial School.
66.Parish of Christchurch, Surrey, surveyed by H. Gardner, 1821From a map published by Wilkinson in 1821, in the Council's collection.
67.(a) Christ Church exterior, April, 1941;
(b) Christ Church watch house, 1932Photographs.
68.(a) Christ Church. Old pulpitFrom a drawing belonging to Marshall's Charity.
(b) Christ Church interior, 1825From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates belonging to Marshall's Charity.
69.Christ Church. West and east elevationsMeasured drawings (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
70.Christ Church. South elevationMeasured drawing (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
71.Christ Church. Section with inset drawings of the church after bomb damageMeasured drawing (part reconstruction) by F. A. Evans.
72.Colombo Street (formerly Collingwood Street), 1906Watercolour drawing by E. A. Phipson, from the Council's collection.
73.(a) Hopton's Almshouses, circa 1850From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd, in the Council's collection.
(b) Hopton's Almshouses, 1934Photograph.
74.Hopton's Almshouses. Ground planDrawn by R. G. Absolon.
75.Hopton's Almshouses. Elevations.Drawings by R. G. Absolon.
76.Hopton's Almshouses. Details of the Trustees' Committee RoomMeasured drawings by F. H. Healey.
77.Hopton's Almshouses. Living roomSketch by R. G. Absolon.
78.(a) No. 61 Hopton Street, 1949Photograph by F. Hyde.
(b) No. 61 Hopton Street. Elevations and plansMeasured drawings.
79.(a) Nos. 12–14 Boddy's Bridge, Upper Ground, 1947; (b) No. 26 Upper Ground, 1947Photographs.
80.(a) Falcon Glassworks near Bankside (Green & Pellatts), 1827From a watercolour drawing by Buckler, in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Queen's Arms Court, Upper Ground, 1825From a watercolour drawing by G. Yates, in the Council's collection.
81.(a) The British Plate Glass Warehouse (with the Surrey Institution and Christchurch in the background), circa 1800From an aquatint in the Council's collection.
(b) Surrey Institution, 1809From an aquatint in Ackermann's Microcosm of London.
82.No. 7 Blackfriars Road, 1947Photograph.
83.No. 74 Blackfriars Road. ElevationMeasured drawing by R. G. Absolon.
84.(a) Nos. 75–78 Blackfriars Road, 1947;
(b) Nos. 134–139 Blackfriars Road, 1946Photographs.
85.(a) Surrey Chapel Exterior, 1798From an engraving by Wilkinson, in the Council's collection.
(b) Surrey Chapel Interior, 1812From an aquatint published by Ackermann, in the Council's collection.
86.The sign of the Dog and Pot, No. 196 Blackfriars Road, 1908Photograph.
87.(a) No. 174A Blackfriars Road. Entrance. 1946Photograph.
(b) No. 187 Blackfriars Road. Entrance. 1949Measured drawing by F. H. Healey.
88.Nos. 48, 38 and 30 Stamford Street. ElevationsMeasured drawings by R.G. Absolon.
89.(a) Unitarian Chapel, Stamford Street, 1949Photograph by F. Hyde.
(b) No. 18 Stamford Street, 1904Photograph.
90.Nelson Square. Elevations of north, east and south sidesMeasured drawings by P. G. Vincent.
91.Balcony railings in Nelson SquareMeasured drawings by F. A. Evans.
92.(a) Nelson Square, east side, 1940; (b) Nos. 2–9 Dolben Street, 1946Photographs.

Footnotes

* Unless otherwise stated the photographs are the copyright of the London County Council.