Description of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Ida Darlington (editor)

Year published

1955

Supporting documents

Pages

7-12

Citation Show another format:

'Description of plates', Survey of London: volume 25: St George's Fields (The parishes of St. George the Martyr Southwark and St. Mary Newington) (1955), pp. VII-XII. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65436 Date accessed: 21 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

DESCRIPTION OF THE PLATES (fn. *)

Frontispiece. The Elephant and Castle on the Brighton Road, 1826. From the engraving by T. Fielding of the painting by James Pollard, lent by Mr. J. H. MacDonnell.

Plate
1.(a) Plan of part of Borough High Street, circa 1542From the records of the Duchy of Lancaster at the Public Record Office.
(b) 18th century scene at a fair (reputed to be Southwark Fair)
2.(a) Half Moon Inn, 1890From a watercolour by Appleton.
(b) Angel Place, 1926From a drawing by Joseph Pike, reproduced in The Builder, 1927.
3.Borough High Street, 1903 (a) Nos. 216–220 (b) Nos. 146–152Photographs.
4.(a) House at the end of Layton's Buildings, 1889From a watercolour by Appleton.
(b) The Catherine Wheel Inn, Borough High Street, circa 1840From a watercolour by T. H. Shepherd.
5.(a) The south front of the north side of the Marshalsea Prison, 1773From a drawing by I. Lewis engraved for R. Wilkinson.
(b) Sick men's ward and instruments of torture in the Marshalsea, 1729From an engraving in the Report on the Fleet and the Marshalsea.
6.(a) The mob setting fire to the King's Bench Prison and House of Correction, 1780From a contemporary engraving.
(b) King's Bench Prison, main courtyard, 1808From Ackermann's Microcosm.
7.(a) King's Bench Prison, principal entrance, 1829From a drawing by T. H. Shepherd engraved by J. Garner.
(b) The British and Foreign School, Borough Road, [1817]From an engraving.
8.Surrey County Gaol (a) Gateway "and the new manner of Executing Criminals thereon," 1800From an engraving by I. Mills.
(b) InteriorFrom a watercolour in the Guildhall Library.
9.Chimney piece now in Newington Sessions House (originally in Clerkenwell Sessions House), 1914Photograph.
10.Section of Wyngaerde's map-view of London showing Suffolk Place, etc., in the time of Elizabeth I
11.(a) Farmhouse, Harrow Street, staircase from first-floor landing, 1910 (b) No. 14 Miniver Street, 1938Photographs.
12.Part of the plan of the Unicorn Inn, Blackman Street, 1678From the original in the possession of the Society of Antiquaries.
13.Aerial view of Borough High Street, 1945Photograph by Aerofilms Ltd.
14.St. George's Church, 1827From a coloured lithograph printed by P. Simonau.
15.St. George's Church, south-east view, 1941Photograph, National Buildings Record.
16.St. George's Church, sections, 1951Measured drawings by F. A. Evans.
17.St. George's Church, interior looking east, 1941Photograph, National Buildings Record.
18.St. George's Church, ceiling, 1831From drawings by C. Hassall in the Guildhall Library.
19.St. George's Church, ceiling, 1952Photograph by Topical Press Agency.
20.St. George's Church (a) Pulpit, 1941Photograph, National Buildings Record.
(b) Coat of arms, 1952 (before refixing)Photograph by E. J. and A. T. Bradford, Ltd.
21.A plan of streets . . . between Black Fryers Bridge, London Bridge, Westminster Bridge . . . as they now are together with the new intended . . . communications . . .1768From an engraving in the City Records Office.
22.Plan of St. George's Fields, 1788From the original in the City Records Office.
23.Plan of St. George's Fields showing proposed lay-out, circa 1807Ditto.
24.Plan of the Rules of the King's Bench Prison, 1822From a lithograph by J. D. Bird.
25.Lord George Gordon, President of the Protestant AssociationFrom an engraving published in 1780, lent by Mr. J. H. MacDonnell.
26.Plan of the Philanthropic Reform, St. George's Fields, 1794From an engraving by W. Skelton.
27.Philanthropic Society's Chapel
(a) Exterior, 1820From a lithograph by R. Creighton.
(b) Interior, 1809From Ackermann's Microcosm.
28.St. George's Circus, east side, 1952Photograph by F. W. Hyde.
29.(a) Nos. 133–145 Blackfriars Road, elevation, 1951Measured drawing by Evelyn Prior.
(b) Nos. 29–53 Lant Street, elevation, 1950Measured drawing by A. R. Hansen.
(c) Nos. 190–220 Southwark Bridge Road, elevation, 1952Measured drawing by Evelyn Prior.
30.The Surrey Theatre and Magdalen Hospital, 1812From an engraving published by Laurie & Whittle.
31.School for the Indigent Blind, St. George's Fields, 1813Ditto.
32.(a) The Surrey Theatre, 1826From an engraving by D. Havell in Brayley's London Theatres.
(b) School for the Indigent Blind, circa 1835From an engraving by T. A. Prior.
33.(a) Chapel Place, Long Lane, 1915
(b) Brune Place, Newington Butts, 1911Photographs.
34.Peabody Square model dwellings, Blackfriars Road, 1872From an engraving in The Illustrated London News.
35.Nos. 105–121 St. George's Road, 1952Photograph.
36.Part of Horwood's Map of London (1813) showing Bethlem Hospital.
37.(a) The Dog and Duck, 1788From an engraving.
(b) New Bethlem Hospital, 1817From an aquatint, No. 19, in Ackermann's Repository of Arts.
38.Gandy's plan for Bethlem Hospital, 1810From the original in the possession of the Governors of Bridewell.
39.General plan of Bethlem Hospital showing the improvements, 1838.
40.Imperial War Museum, portico, 1953Photograph by F. W. Hyde.
41.(a) and (b) Cibber's figures of Melancholy and Raving MadnessPhotographs from the Guildhall Library.
42.(a) Imperial War Museum, side view, 1953Photograph by F. W. Hyde.
(b) The obelisk, St. George's Road, 1951Photograph.
43.Nos. 29–36 West Square, east side, 1951Photograph.
44.West Square (a) Telegraphic Tower, 1827
(b) Building for painting the panorama, 1827From watercolours by J. Buckler in the Guildhall Library.
45.St. George's Cathedral, ruins, 1941Photograph.
46.St. George's Cathedral, sketch, elevation, and plan by Pugin, 1839Reproduced by permission of the Cathedral Administrator.
47.St. George's Cathedral, the Sanctuary, 1936Photograph.
48.Monstrance and reliquary designed by PuginPhotograph.
49.Plan of Walworth Manor, 1681From the original in the possession of the Church Commissioners.
50.(a) Newington Turnpike and a view of the Elephant and Castle Tavern, 1825From a watercolour by G. Yates in the Guildhall Library.
(b) South end of Newington Butts showing old St. Mary's Church, circa 1870From a photograph by E. Strudwick in Southwark Reference Library.
51.(a) Fishmongers' Almshouses, circa 1850From a watercolour by T. H. Shepherd.
(b) Newington Causeway, circa 1860From an engraving.
52.Newington Butts (a) General view, 1792From an engraving by Wm. Ellis.
(b) St. Mary's Rectory, 1795From an engraving published by N. Smith.
53.Part of Rocque's Map of 1755 showing Newington Butts.
54.St. Mary, Newington, Church, 1827From a lithograph by C. Burton.
55.Memorial to Sir Hugh BrawneFrom a wash drawing.
56.Design for Surrey Square by Michael Searles, 1795From a drawing in the possession of Mr. R. D. L. Ford.
57.Surrey Square, 1951Measured drawing by Evelyn Prior.
58.(a) Entrance to the Royal Surrey Zoological Gardens, 1832From a pencil drawing by R. B. Schnebbelie.
(b) Surrey Zoological Gardens, circa 1845From an engraving.
59.(a) Royal Surrey Gardens Music Hall, circa 1861From a lithograph.
(b) The Manor House, Walworth, circa 1862From a photograph in the Guildhall Library.
60.Plan of the Royal Surrey Gardens, 1872From the particulars of sale.
61.No. 226 East Street, elevation, plan and details, 1953Measured drawings by A. J. North.
62.St Peter's Church from the south-west, 1951Photograph.
63.St. Peter's Church, staircase lobby, 1954Photograph.
64.St. Peter's Church, designs of [Sir] John Soane, 1822 (a) West front (b) South sideFrom the originals in the Soane Museum.
65.St. Peter's Church, west front and south side, 1951Measured drawings by R. G. Absolon.
66.St. Peter's Church, designs of [Sir] John Soane, 1822 (a) Cross section (b) Long sectionFrom the Soane Museum.
67.St. Peter's Church, ground plan as designed by [Sir] John Soane, 1822From the Soane Museum.
68.St. Peter's Church, from the south-east, 1951Photograph.
69.St. Peter's Church, general view of interior looking east, 1954Photograph.
70.Church Plate (a) St. Mary, Newington, 1953
(b) St. Peter, Walworth, 1952Photographs.
71.Church Plate (a) St. George the Martyr, 1952
(b) Holy Trinity, Newington, 1952Photographs.
72.Kennington Park Road doorways (a) No. 91
(b) No. 95 (c) No. 125 (d) No. 127Measured drawings by R. A. F Riding.
73.Trinity Church Square (a) Statue of "Alfred the Great," 1951 (b) Nos. 60, 61 and 62, 1951Photographs.
74.(a) Great Dover Street Turnpike, 1825
(b) Court of Requests, Swan Street, 1826From watercolours by G. Yates in the Guildhall Library.
75.A plan of part of the Trinity House Estate, Newington, 1778From the original in the possession of the Elder Brethren of Trinity House.
76.Trinity Church Square, 1950–51Perspective and measured drawings by F. A. Evans and A. R Hansen.
77.Holy Trinity Church, 1950, north-west elevation and north-east elevation and block planMeasured drawings by R. A. F Riding.
78.Holy Trinity Church, sections, 1950Measured drawings by R. A. F. Riding.
79.Holy Trinity Church, ground floor and crypt plans, 1950Measured drawings by R. A. F. Riding.
80.(a) Trinity Church Square, north-west side, 1951 (b) Merrick Square, north-west side, 1947Photographs.
81.(a) Spurgeon's Tabernacle, circa 1890From a watercolour by H. E. Tidmarsh in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Metropolitan Tabernacle, interior, 1941Photograph, National Buildings Record.
82.(a) Bannisters' tomb, St. Mary, Newington, Churchyard, 1952 (b) York Street Chapel, tomb of Captain Wilson, 1952Pencil sketches by F. A. Evans.
83.(a) St. Agnes, Kennington Park, 1951
(b) Drapers' Almshouses, 1951Ditto.
84.(a) Walworth Chapel, 1826From a watercolour by J. Buckler.
(b) St. Paul's Church, Lorrimore Square, circa 1860From a watercolour by W. Waller.
85.Door knockersDrawings by F. A. Evans.
86.The Paragon, New Kent Road, circa 1890Photograph.
87.St. George's Rectory, entrance hall, 1952Photograph.
88.(a) Union Crescent, New Kent Road, circa 1902 (b) No. 86 Camberwell Road, 1951Photographs.
89.Backs of Nos. 196–204 New Kent Road, 1951From a drawing by F. A. Evans.
90.Nos. 106–110 Old Kent Road, 1952Photograph by F. W. Hyde.
91.(a) Turnpike in the New Kent Road, 1828From a watercolour in the Guildhall Library.
(b) Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb, 1813From an engraving published by Whittle & Laurie.
92.No. 155 Old Kent Road, door and fireplaces, 1952Measured drawings by Evelyn Prior.

Footnotes

* Unless otherwise stated the photographs are the copyright of the London County Council, and the prints and drawings are in the Council's collection.