Additional Burial Grounds

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

Walter H. Godfrey and W. McB. Marcham (editors)

Year published

1952

Supporting documents

Pages

147-151

Citation Show another format:

'Additional Burial Grounds', Survey of London: volume 24: The parish of St Pancras part 4: King’s Cross Neighbourhood (1952), pp. 147-151. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=65576 Date accessed: 27 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

CHAPTER 18: ADDITIONAL BURIAL GROUNDS

CLXXX—St. Pancras Gardens (formerly the Churchyard of Old St. Pancras Church)

The original churchyard of Old St. Pancras Church was first enlarged in 1727, when the vicar, the Rev. Edward de Chair presented an adjoining piece of land called the Pindle, which was fenced at the charge of the parish and consecrated. A further enlargement took place in 1792, when with the consent of Parliament, some two acres to the north of the churchyard were acquired and the pathway across the churchyard was closed to allow of the building of the sexton's house. From 1863 and onwards the Midland Railway obtained powers to build over this northern part of the churchyard, and the remains of those buried there were removed and re-interred. At this time the churchyard was sadly neglected and a number of fine monuments, including that erected by Viscount Montague to the Hon. Mary Browne, were falling to pieces. In 1875 the Vestry of St. Pancras secured an Act of Parliament authorizing them to take control of the churchyard and the adjoining burial ground of St. Giles and to preserve them as open spaces. (ref. 39) Mr. F. T. Cansick (fn. a) was employed to copy all the inscriptions then visible and the grounds were opened to the public on 28th June, 1877, at a ceremony presided over by Lieutenant-Colonel Sir James McGarel-Hogg, Chairman of the Metropolitan Board of Works.

The memorials in the Old Church have already been given in Survey of London, Vol. XIX. Reference should have been made in the account of the Manor House of Tottenhall (ibid.) to the fact that two of the families that occupied the manor house are represented, namely Daniel Clarke (1626) and his wife Katherine (1613) and his predecessor Alexander Glover, in the person of his daughter Mary (1588) who married John Beresford. A large number of notable persons were buried in the churchyard and below is a selected list of names up to the year 1800. The full incriptions will be found in F. T. Cansick's Epitaphs of St. Pancras, where will also be found the names of a large number of French refugees, many of noble family, who were interred here, but who have been omitted from the list below.

1678.Abraham Woodhead. Fellow of University College, Oxford, and advocate of Roman Catholicism during the Commonwealth.
1694.Dame Mary Slingsby. Actress who married Sir Henry Slingsby, Bt., M.P. for Knaresborough.
1696.Henry Cope. Executed at Tyburn.
1699.Mary, Dowager Lady Abergavenny.
1699.Obadiah Walker. Master of University College, Oxford, and friend of Abraham Woodhead (see above).
1703.John Fowler. Highwayman, shot near Camden Town.
1703.John Dolben. Citizen and mason of London.
1706.Catherine, widow of Robert Brent of Lark Stoke, Glos.
1709.Gilbert Whitehall, of Yeldersley, Derbyshire.
1709.John Carleton and his wife Susanna (d. 1696), daughter of Sir Hugh Acland, of Lillerton, Devon.
1709.Elizabeth Carleton, daughter of Edward Carleton.
1710.Terence MacMahon.
1710.William Walton.
1711.Dame Bridget Clifton.
1711.John Ernest Grabe, D.D., divine. He was buried here but has a monument in Westminster Abbey.
1715.William Sulyard.
1720.Charles Calvert, Lord Baltimore.
1721.John Walpole, of Gray's Inn.
1722.Thomas Cunstable, in the service of the Duke of Norfolk.
1724.Thomas Shuttleworth and his wife Catherine (d. 1719).
1724.Mary Brent.
1725.Jonathan Wild, "thief-taker." Executed at Tyburn.
1726.Rev. Ralph Yearwood.
1726.Jeremiah Collier.
1726.Denis Molony.
1727.Lady Eleanor Fleming.
1727.Sir Henry Bateman.
1728.Hon. Esme Howard and his wife Margaret (d. 1716).
1728.Mary Carpue.
1730.Daniel Fullurne, page to the Queen of James II.
1731.John Butler.
1731.Hon. Amey Constable, wife of Cuthbert Constable and daughter of Hugh, Lord Clifford of Chudley.
1731.Ralph Kemp, druggist.
1731.Edward Ward, better known as Ned Ward, author of The London Spy.
1732.Thomas, son of Sir Thomas and Sarah Mackworth.
1733.Richard Chapman of Lambeth, merchant.
1734.Bonaventure Gifford.
1735.Sir James Tobin, Bt.
1735.Bevil Higgons, adherent of James II and author.
1735.Lady Mary Parsons.
1736.Henry Burdett, goldsmith and citizen of London and Margaret his wife (d. 1741).
1736.William Gower and his wife Elinor (d. 1718), daughter of John Coyney, and their sons.
1737.Sir John Sidley.
1738.Sir Joseph Richards, Bt., and his wife Jane.
1739.Dorothy Walpole.
1740.Barbara, wife of Sir John Webb, Bt., of Great Canford, Dorset, and daughter and heir of John Lord Belasyse. A tall altar tomb with urn finial.
1740.Edward Walpole of Dunston, Lincolnshire, author of an imitation of the Sixth Satire of Horace, etc.
1741.Charles, 10th Viscount Dillon.
1741.Sir John Fleetwood and his wife Philippa (d. 1786).
1742.Martin Nowland, executed for high treason.
1743.Elizabeth, Countess of Castlehaven, wife of James Touchet, Earl of Castlehaven, and daughter of Lord Arundell of Wardour.
1743.Gilbert Grey, de jure 13th Earl of Shrewsbury, who was a priest of the Roman Catholic Church.
1743.Sir John Wittewrong.
1743.(Mrs.) Frances Errington of Wallach Grange, Northumberland.
1743.Elizabeth, widow of Charles Conquest, M.D.
1744.Martha Walpole, sister of Edward Walpole.
1744.Sir Thomas Mackworth, Bt.
1745.The Hon. Mary Browne, sister of Viscount Montague.
1746.James (Giacomo) Leoni, the well-known architect, who published editions of Palladio and Alberti.
1746.Mary Cousien.
1746.Francis Townley, executed for his part in the Jacobite rising of 1745.
1748.John Goodge and his wife Ann (d. 1741), and children.
1750.James Allen of Kildare and his wife Catherine (d. 1763).
1750.Sophia More, Lady Osbalson (recte Osbaldeston), probably widow of Sir Charles Osbaldeston, last baronet.
1751.Stephen Galloway and his wife Elizabeth (d. 1750), daughter of Sir Edward Turberville, Bt.
1751.Lady Sarah Lad.
1752.Hon. Thomas Arundell (uncle of Lord Arundell of Wardour), and his wife Ann (d. 1778).
1753.Lady Henrietta Beard, only daughter of James, Earl of Waldegrave and former wife of Lord Edward Herbert, son of the Marquess of Powis.
1753.Sir Henry Tempest, Bt.
1753.William Troutbeck, of Holborn, innholder.
1753.Alice, Lady Brian.
1755.Thomas William Selbye of Biddleston, Northumberland, and his wife Barbara (d. 1755).
1755.Thomas Smyth, M.D.
1756.Mary, daughter of Thomas and Anne Basnett.
1759.James Horton and his wife Sarah (d. 1766).
1760.Mary, wife of Thomas Halcot.
1760.Laurence Shirley, fourth Earl Ferrers, executed for the murder of his steward. His body was re-buried under the tower of the church, and in 1782 was removed to Staunton Harold.
1761.The Rt. Hon. Barbara Barnewall.
(fn. a) 1762.Martha Blount, the friend of Alexander Pope, and her sister Teresa (d. 1759).
1762.Robert Westby.
1762.William Haddon, churchwarden of St. Pancras.
1762.Hon. Mrs. Cary.
1763.Frances, widow of George Brownlow Doughty of Snarford Hall, Lincolnshire, daughter and co-heiress of Sir Henry Tichborne.
1763.Sir Thomas Webb, Bt., and his wife Ann (d. 1777).
1763.Hon. Anne Dillon.
1764.Peter Van Bleeck.
1764.Walter Quin, merchant.
1765.Barnaby Nugent, his wife Elinor (d. 1762) and others.
1766.Peter Pasqualino, 'cellist.
1767.Thomas Lynch and his wife Ann (d. 1762).
1767.William Rhodes and many other members of the family—memorial re-erected by Cecil John Rhodes (6th in descent from William) in 1890.
1770.Mary, wife of Joseph Webb of Hampstead.
1771.Stephen Lynch.
1771.George Snowden and his wife Mary (d. 1782)
1772.Rev. Francis Blyth.
1772.Dorothea Dias de Faria.
1772.Nicholas Turte and his wife Anne (d. 1777).
1773.Isabella Martin.
1774.Abraham Langford, and others.
(fn. a) 1774.Simon Francis (Francois) Ravenet, engraver and designer of Chelsea porcelain.
1774.Hon. Henry Francis Widdington.
1775.Thomas (Tommaso) Mazzinghi, violinist, father of Count Joseph Mazzinghi (1765–1844), composer.
1777.Maria Teresa, widow of Philip, Duke of Wharton.
1777.John Cross.
1779.Rev. M. Edward Galloway, S.J.
1779.Ann Cooper.
1781.Francis Henry de la Motte. Executed as a spy.
1782.John Smyth, surgeon to the Northamptonshire Militia.
1783.Catherine, daughter of William Haggerston Constable.
1784.Laurence Cotter.
1784.Robert Bernard Grant, Roman Catholic priest.
1785.William Woollett, engraver to His Majesty, and his wife Elizabeth (d. 1819).
1785.Hon. Mary Teresa Eyre.
1785.Count O'Rourke.
1785.Charlotte Potska, who died in the Fleet Prison.
1786.Francis Wright, and others.
1787.Thomas Rhodes, son of William Rhodes (see under 1767).
1787.Henry, 11th Viscount Dillon.
1787.Stephen Paxton, professor of music, 'cellist.
1787.Rev. George Kingsley, S.J.
1789.Timothy Cunningham, member of the Middle Temple living at Gray's Inn, Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries and author of the Law Dictionary and other legal works.
1790.Michael John Baptist de Wenzel, oculist.
1791.Hon. Win(i)fred Mary Drummond.
1791.Sir George Chalmers.
1791.Ann, wife of C. Kelly.
1792.Lady Ann Mackworth.
1792.Thomas Kiernan of Gray's Inn.
1792.Christopher McEvoy of the Island of St. Croix.
1793.John Felan, of the College of Physicians.
1795.James Lucena, LL.D., of Lisbon.
1797.Sir John Webb of Great Canford, Dorset.
1797.Rev. Joseph Duncan.
1797.Michael Bray of Lincoln's Inn.
1798.Sir Charles Henry Talbot.
1798.John Danby, professor of music.
1799.John Kirwan, merchant, his wife Hannah (d. 1787) and others.
1799.Rev. Gerard Robinson.
1799.Letitia Adams.
1800.Margaret Corner.
1800.Edward O'Reilly.

CLXXXI—St. Giles' Burial Ground

This burial ground, now part of St. Pancras Gardens, was acquired by the parish of St. Giles under parliamentary powers obtained in 1802. It lay north of the churchyard of the Old Church, between it and the parish workhouse further north, and was behind a row of houses in Pancras Road called Cook's Terrace and Eve Terrace, at the south end of which stood the Adam and Eve Public House. A cemetery chapel was built in the centre of the entrance from Pancras Road between the two terraces. These buildings were all removed when St. Pancras Gardens were laid out in 1877. (ref. 39)

Among the burials here the most notable are:

1821.William Bingham, surgeon to the King's Cross Fever Hospital.
1822.Alexander Stewart, churchwarden of St. Giles at the time of the opening of the burial ground.
1826.John Flaxman, the sculptor, his wife Ann (d. 1820), and his sister Mary Ann (d. 1833).
1834.Major Chaplain, Deputy-Lieutenant of Buckinghamshire.
1837.Sir John Soane, R.A., F.R.S., and his wife Elizabeth (d. 1815). Soane erected this monument to his wife.
1837.Jeremiah le Souef, United States vice-consul.
1840.Edward Bullock, founder of the firm of auctioneers in High Holborn, and members of his family.
1846.Caroline, wife of Louis Malcolm Drummond, styled Comte de Melfort in France, and daughter of Kenneth Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth.

CLXXXII—Highgate Cemetery

This cemetery was opened in 1839 by the London Cemetery Company which had been incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1836. Stephen Geary, architect, a founder of the company, designed Highgate Cemetery and was buried there in 1854.

The original ground comprised 20 acres on the west side of Swain's Lane, on the upper slope of the hill on which Highgate stands, and a site of great beauty. The cemetery has since been enlarged by grounds lower down the hill, on the east side of Swain's Lane. The entrance to the western cemetery is entered by an archway between the chapel and the porter's lodge, forming a group of buildings of Gothic design. A feature of the grounds is the Egyptian Avenue, 100 feet in length, sunk in the ground with tomb chambers on both sides, and these are continued round a circular road higher up the hill. Steps lead up to the summit where further ranges of catacombs, of Gothic character, have been placed below a terrace that commands a fine view of London.

Many famous people are buried here, among them Michael Faraday, Herbert Spencer, "George Eliot," Christina Rossetti, Sir William Ross, Mrs. Henry J. Wood, G. R. Sims, Carl Rosa, Karl Marx, Frederick Lillywhite, the cricketer, Tom Sayers, the pugilist, and George Wombwell of menagerie fame.

Mr. F. T. Cansick has transcribed and published 188 pages of the inscriptions in Highgate Cemetery in his second volume of Epitaphs of St. Pancras.

Footnotes

a. He published the inscriptions in full in his Epitaphs of St. Pancras.
a. Date given in Dictionary of National Biography. The year 1763 is given in Disused Burial Grounds of St. Pancras, p. 27.
a. D.N.B. 1774. Cansick 1764.

References

39. W. E. Brown, St. Pancras open spaces and disused burial grounds, 1902.


<--Previous:
Additional Churches
Next:-->
Appendix