Parishes
Beaumont Chase

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

William Page (editor)

Year published

1935

Pages

61-62

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Parishes: Beaumont Chase', A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 2 (1935), pp. 61-62. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66204 Date accessed: 26 November 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

BEAUMONT CHASE

Beaumunt, Beumond (xiii cent.); Beaumond (xv cent.); Beamont (xvii cent.).

Beaumont Chase is an extra parochial district within the ecclesiastical parish of Uppingham, and is divided from Leicestershire by the Eye Brook. It has an area of 463 acres. In 1885 a detached part of Uppingham, known as Preston Leys and Preston Leys Plantation, was added to Beaumont Chase. There are only two lodges and one or two cottages in the district, and the population in 1921 was only 14.

The ground is high, in some places reaching a height of over 500 ft. There are the remains of an ancient castle (fn. 1) in the north-east of the parish situated in a commanding position about ¼ mile from the road from Uppingham to Leicester. It was probably thrown up during the anarchy of Stephen's reign by Hasculf, Keeper of the Forest of Rutland and holder of the property which was afterwards the manor of Leighfield in Oakham. Beaumont Chase has always followed the descent of Leighfield (q.v.). The first mention of the name is in 1254 with regard to an inquiry as to Peter de Montfort's interest in Upping- ham sub Beaumont, (fn. 2) and in 1257 an order was given by the king against the destruction of oaks in Beaumont. (fn. 3)

It was in the possession of the Earl of Gainsborough in 1689, when it is first alluded to as a chace. (fn. 4) It continued to pass with Leighfield (fn. 5) until 1925, when the Beaumont Chase area then in the occupation of Mr. W. R. Shelton, and another area then occupied by Mr. W. C. Smith, were sold and there was a re-sale to these gentlemen in the following year. (fn. 6)

Footnotes

1 V.C.H. Rutl. i, 112.
2 Cal. Close R. 1253–4, p. 307.
3 Ibid. 1256–9, p. 131.
4 Recov. R. Trin. 1 Will. and M. ro. 98.
5 Ibid. Hil. 57 Geo. III, ro. 161.
6 Inf. from Mr. Louis G. Dease.