containing the parishes of Casterton, Great; Casterton, Little; Empingham; Essendine; Ketton; Pickworth; Ryhall; Tickencote; Tinwell With Ingthorpe
This hundred was the hundred of Witchley (Hwicceslea) East of the
Northamptonshire Geld Roll of about 1075, and formed the northern part of
the Domesday hundred of Witchley (Wiceslea) then in Northamptonshire. (fn. 1) It
is mentioned as East Hundred in 1166. (fn. 2) The court, it would seem, was held
at Witchley Heath or Warren in Edith Weston and Ketton parishes. Pickworth was not included in the hundred (fn. 3) until the 18th century, but Horn
was in the hundred in the 14th and 15th centuries. (fn. 4) East Hundred followed
the descent of Alstoe Hundred, and now apparently belongs to the Crown.
The hundred of Little Casterton in this hundred has been dealt with
under Little Casterton parish (q.v.).
|| See above in the account of the county.
|| Pipe R. Soc. ix, 65.
|| Feud. Aids, iv, 205, 207, 212.
|| Ibid. 205, 208, 214.