Editorial note

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

L. F. Salzman (editor)

Year published

1937

Page

15

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'Editorial note', A History of the County of Northampton: Volume 4 (1937), pp. XV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66302 Date accessed: 26 October 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

EDITORIAL NOTE

The third volume of the Victoria History of the County of Northampton was published in 1930 under the editorship of the late Dr. William Page, and materials for the accounts of the four hundreds of Higham Ferrers, Spelhoe, Hamfordshoe, and Orlingbury had then been collected. The manorial descents of these hundreds had actually been compiled by members of Dr. Page's staff as far back as 1908; these have been completely revised, and largely rewritten, by the Editor, with assistance from local authorities.

Special thanks are due to Miss Joan Wake, who again put her own enthusiasm and local knowledge and the documentary resources of the Northamptonshire Record Society at our disposal. To Mrs. Harry Manfield we are indebted for the frontispiece to this volume; to the Marquess of Northampton for the loan of the plan of Castle Ashby, and also for reading proofs; and to Mr. L. G. H. Lee, F.S.A., for the loan of two blocks of Raunds Church. Mr. H. J. Smith, whose contribution of photographs to the third volume was inadvertently left unacknowledged, has again provided photographs; and Messrs. John Murray have kindly permitted us to reproduce an illustration from Baldwin Brown's Arts in Early England. Professor A. Hamilton Thompson gave considerable help with the architectural descriptions, as did the late Major C. A. Markham, F.S.A., who kindly allowed full use to be made of his book on the Church Plate of Northamptonshire. Mr. Reginald W. Brown, Librarian of the Borough of Northampton, was also most helpful.

Among others who gave valuable assistance, special mention may be made of the late Mr. W. Talbot Brown, F.S.A., Mr. C. Vere Davidge, Mr. Gyles Isham, the Rev. H. Isham Longden, F.S.A., and Mr. H. Savory. Thanks are also due to the proprietors of Kelly's Directories for permission to quote from their publications; and to the following for reading proofs and making corrections and suggestions regarding them: the Rev. H. P. Brown, Mr. A. C. Chibnall, the Rev. G. H. Haines, the Rev. J. Hotine, the Rev. K. Kershaw, the Rev. C. Grant King, the Rev. G. H. Mallett, the Rev. W. F. Need, the Rev. A. C. Nugee, the Rev. E. Y. Orlebar, Miss G. E. H. Roberts, the Rev. H. J. Smale, Col. H. G. Sotheby, Major A. H. Thurburn, Sir Hereward Wake, bart., and the Rev. J. White.

Many others, particularly among the parochial clergy, have given much appreciated help in various ways.