The city of Cambridge
Crosses

Sponsor

Victoria County History

Publication

Author

J. P. C. Roach (editor)

Year published

1959

Supporting documents

Page

113

Annotate

Comment on this article
Double click anywhere on the text to add an annotation in-line

Citation Show another format:

'The city of Cambridge: Crosses', A History of the County of Cambridge and the Isle of Ely: Volume 3: The City and University of Cambridge (1959), pp. 113. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66613 Date accessed: 26 July 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

Contents

CROSSES

At least eight crosses are mentioned in medieval times, some of them marking town bounds. Hamond's map shows the High Cross, or Stone Cross, at the point where the boundary of Cambridge and Chesterton crossed the Huntingdon Road, and therefore approximately where, according to Custance's map of 1798, there stood the turnpike gate which was not removed until 1852. It is also called 'The Stone Cross in Huntingdon Way near the chalk pits'. Another one, described as a 'lytle stomped crosse', to the south-west of the high cross, may have been the remains of the market cross of the Castle End. There was also Barton Cross, at the end of Clint Way, marking the boundary of Cambridge and Coton; the Newnham Cross; Cope Cross at the angle of Hobson Street and King Street, where Walls Lane crossed the King's Ditch; Garvin Cross at some point in Holy Trinity parish; Dawes Cross at the junction of the Deep Way (Lensfield Road) and Hadstock Way (Hills Road); Hinton Cross; also one other unnamed cross on Hills Road, a little beyond the first milestone, may be postmedieval. (fn. 63)

The Market Cross stood near the Garden Market, near the south-west corner of the market stead. It is shown in Lyne's and Hamond's maps. In Braun's map of 1575 it is represented as raised on steps, and as having a domed or polygonal roof resting on four pillars. The lead from the roof, when removed in 1593, weighed 2,200 lb. It was the scene of proclamations, and long after its destruction Queen Victoria was proclaimed on its site in 1837. The Tudor Cross was removed in 1664 and replaced by a square stone pillar surmounted by a gilded orb and cross, which, having been repaired in 1754, was finally removed in 1786. (fn. 64)

Footnotes

63 H. P. Stokes, in C.A.S. Comm. xx. 23–32, and sources therein cited.
64 Ibid. 26–31, with illustrations; Keynes, By-ways of Cambridge History (2nd edn.), 4 sqq.; Cooper, Memorials, iii. 315.