There were several Jewish families in Cambridge
in the 18th century, and Jews made an important
contribution to the teaching of Hebrew in the University. Evidence has been advanced for the existence as early as 1774 of a small synagogue and an
academy for Jews, and a Rabbi was officiating in
1783. All tradition of this earlier congregation had
been lost by 1847, when services again began to be
held in a room at the house of Lazarus Cohen in
Hobson Street. (fn. 40) These services were discontinued
in 1850, when the average sabbath congregation was
fifteen. (fn. 41)
Subsequent places of worship were located in
Regent Street, Petty Cury (1888), St. Mary's Passage, and Park Terrace, (fn. 42) until, in 1910, the congregation acquired a hall off Sidney Street. In 1937
a synagogue in Thompson's Lane was opened and
consecrated by the Chief Rabbi. (fn. 43)
|| H. P. Stokes, Studies in Anglo-Jewish History, 227 sqq.
|| H.O. 129/7/186.
|| Stokes, Studies, 227 sqq.
|| Letter of D. Tabor, Chairman of Cambridge Jewish
Residents' Assoc., to Cambridge City Libraries, 18 July