II.—No. 44 PARLIAMENT STREET.
The freehold is the property of the Crown.
General Description and Date of Structure.
This was another of the three houses leased in 1753 (see p. 2) to James
The ground floor and basement are occupied as a branch post-office,
while the floors above are connected with No. 43 by means of openings cut
through the party wall. The exterior has a cemented face, and consists
of four storeys over the basement, and an attic storey in the roof with dormer
windows. The two top storeys were probably added when the exterior
was cemented over and other alterations carried out.
The interior contains little of interest, except an elaborate ornamental
plaster ceiling to the front room on the first floor (Plate 12), which has also a
frieze containing female heads and lions. The whole is a good example
of the style and workmanship of the latter half of the 18th century.
Condition of Repair.
The premises have been recently re-decorated.
The ratebooks give the following names in connection with this house up to 1840:—
|1771–82||(Sir) Grey Cooper.|
|1836–||Alex. Henderson McDougall.|
Grey Cooper was born in 1726. He entered at the Temple and was in due course
called to the Bar, but on the formation of the Rockingham Ministry in 1765 he entered the
political arena in its support. He served as joint-secretary of the treasury in three successive
governments (1765–82) and was a lord of the treasury in 1783. He retired from public
life in 1790. In 1775 he had assumed the baronetcy (long lapsed) of his ancestor, John
Cooper, who is said to have been created a baronet of Nova Scotia in 1638. He died in 1801.
The "Lord Effingham" who was resident at this house during the years 1785 to 1789
was Thomas, 3rd Earl of Effingham, deputy earl-marshal of England.
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. 1) Plan of first floor (measured drawing).
(fn. 1) General view of ceiling to front room on first floor (photograph).
View of ceiling and frieze do. do. (photograph).