XXXVI.—No. 22 QUEEN ANNE'S GATE (Formerly No. 3 Park Street).
Ground Landlord, Etc.
The freehold is the property of Christ's Hospital. The house is at
present occupied by Mr. F. N. Pickett.
Externally these premises are similar to the rest of the houses in this part
of the street, and comprise a brick exterior of four storeys over a basement.
The entrance hall has been altered by constructing a lift shaft between
the basement and the top floors which also cuts off a portion of the front room
on the first floor. The former staircase has been taken out and a plain one of
wood substituted, while the interposition of a lantern light below the original
domed skylight has materially reduced the lighting.
The back room on the ground floor is of ample proportions, and the
walls and ceiling have ornamental plaster panels painted with subjects typical
of the work of Angelica Kauffmann (Plate 82). The carved mantelpiece is
executed in white and sienna marbles.
On the first floor the front-room ceiling is ornamented with geometrical patterns and swags in low relief, with clusters of emblems equally
spaced around a central device (Plate 83). The mantelpiece is carved in
white marble and Brocatella marble inlay, and has a sculptured central tablet
containing Cupids. The back room (Plate 84) has an ornamented plaster
ceiling with large painted panels similar in character to those on the lower
floor, while the marble mantelpiece has the centre tablet sculptured, representing a warrior being carried off the field of battle, a scene repeated in
a mantelpiece in No. 16. Some of the chief rooms in this house, as in other
houses on the same side of this part of the street, have oak floor-boards.
Condition of Repair.
According to the ratebooks, the names of the occupiers of this house up to 1840 were
|1776–79||Col. Jas. Crawford. (fn. 1) |
In the Council's Collection are:—
(fn. 2) General view of back room on ground floor (photograph).
General view of mantelpiece, back room on ground floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) Plaster ceiling to front room on first floor (photograph).
Mantelpiece, front room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) General view to back room on first floor (photograph).
Ceiling to segmental end of back room on first floor (photograph).
(fn. 2) Ground and first-floor plans (measured drawing).
||On 10th July, 1778, Michael Barrett assigned the Hospital's lease of this house to "James
Craufurd, Esq., Colonel of H.M. 3rd Regiment of Footguards." (Middx. Memls., 1778, II., 147.)