Description of plates

Sponsor

English Heritage

Publication

Author

G. H. Gater and F. R. Hiorns (editor)

Year published

1940

Supporting documents

Pages

9-15

Citation Show another format:

'Description of plates', Survey of London: volume 20: St Martin-in-the-Fields, pt III: Trafalgar Square & Neighbourhood (1940), pp. IX-XV. URL: http://british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=68403 Date accessed: 28 August 2014.


Highlight

(Min 3 characters)

DESCRIPTION OF THE PLATES

Coloured Plates
Frontispiece. Bedfordbury in 1873From a watercolour drawing by F. Shepherd in the Council's collection.
(i) (Facing p. 1) No. 96, St. Martin's Lane, c. 1830From a watercolour drawing by C. J. Richardson in the Council's collection.
(ii) (Facing p. 66) Berkeley House, Spring Gardens in 1859From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection.
(iii) (Facing p. 118) May's Buildings, St. Martin's Lane in 1870From a watercolour drawing by J. T. Wilson in the Council's collection.
PLATE
1.Extract from Morden and Lea's map (1682)From the Council's collection.
2.Plan of the Royal Mews at Charing Cross, 1796From plain in the possession of H.M. Commissioners of Crown Lands.
3.(a) Old Barracks, Charing Cross, c. 1815; (b) the new opening to St. Martin's Church (c. 1830)(a) From a photograph of a watercolour drawing by W. Hunt; (b) From an engraving of a drawing by T. H. Shepherd, both in the Council's collection.
4.(a) The Mews in 1794; (b) The Golden Cross, Charing Cross, c. 1820(a) From an engraving by T. Malton in the Council's collection; (b) From a watercolour drawing in the Westminster Public Library.
5.National Gallery, Trafalgar Square. ElevationFrom an engraving in the Council's collection.
6.William Railton's design for the Nelson MonumentFrom an engraving in the Council's collection.
7.(a) Statue of George IV, Trafalgar Square;Photographs.
(b) One of the lions at the base of the Nelson Monument
8.The Old Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, c. 1720, "The South Prospect"From an engraving by G. Vertue in the Council's collection.
9.The Old Church of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, c. 1720. "The West Prospect"From an engraving by G. Vertue in the Council's collection.
10.Gibbs' design for circular church: (a) Elevation;(b) PlanFrom Gibbs' A Book of Architecture.
11.St. Martin's Church. Plan and south elevationMeasured drawing.
12.Perspective drawing of St. Martin's ChurchFrom the watercolour drawing by James Gibbs in the Westminster Public Library.
13.Portrait of James GibbsPublic Library. From the painting by William Hogarth in the vestry hall.
14.St. Martin's Church from churchyard, showing southern end of St. Martin's Lane, c. 1820From a watercolour drawing by W. H. Hunt in the possession of Mr. Thomas Girtin.
15.St. Martin's Church, looking south-eastPhotograph.
16.St. Martin's Church: plans, elevation and section of steepleMeasured drawing by D. W. Harrington and D. N. Mackintosh.
17.St. Martin's Church: elevation and section of east endMeasured drawing.
18.St. Martin's Church: (a) Looking northwest; (b) PorticoPhotographs.
19.St. Martin's Church. Interior looking eastPhotographs.
20.St. Martin's Church. West elevationMeasured drawing.
21.St. Martin's Church: (a) Interior looking west; (b) PulpitPhotographs.
22.St. Martin's Church. Organ now in St. Mary's Church, Wotton-under-EdgePhotographs reproduced by permission of the Cotswold Publishing Co.
23.St. Martin's Church; the fontMeasured drawing.
24.St. Martin's Church; the pulpitMeasured drawing.
25.Hogarth's preliminary drawings for No. 2 of the series Industry and IdlenessFrom drawings in the British Museum.
26.St. Martin's Church: (a) Oak staircase leading to galleries; (b) CryptPhotographs.
27.St. Martin's Church: (a) Bust of James Gibbs by Rysbrach; (b) FontPhotographs.
28.Monuments in St. Martin's crypt: (a) Edith Bilson, 1651; (b) Elizabeth Macdowall, 1670Photographs.
29.(a) Jane Jackson, 1670; (b) Johanna Miller, 1673Photographs.
30.Margaret White, 1687(a) Measured drawing; (b) Photograph
31.(a) Colonel Thomas Fraser, 1756; (b) Benjamin Colinge, 1700Photographs.
32.(a) Sir Theodore Mayerne; (b) Roundel with arms and crestPhotographs.
33.St. Martin's Church plate, on exhibition at the London MuseumPhotograph.
34.(a) St. Martin's Place, east side; (b) St. Martin's churchyard, north side, showing vestry hall and schoolPhotographs.
35.Old premises south of St. Martin's Church, 1830From a pencil drawing in the Council's collection.
36.(a) Corner of Adelaide Street and Chandos Street in 1906; (b) Golden Cross Hotel, Strand, in 1930Photographs.
37.(a) Corner of King Street and Adelaide Street in 1930; (b) Nos. 448 and 449, Strand, facing south west, in 1930Photographs.
38.(a) Charing Cross Hospital in 1939. Elevation to Strand and Agar Street; (b) Morley's Hotel in 1920Photographs.
39.St. Matthew's Chapel, Spring Gardens: (a) Exterior in 1903; (b) Interior in 1886(a) Photograph; (b) From a drawing by J. P. Emslie preserved at the Admiralty.
40.(a) New Street, Spring Gardens in 1881; (b) Spring Garden Terrace in 1881From watercolour drawings, by J. P. Emslie preserved at the Admiralty.
41.John Drummond's House, New Street, Spring Gardens, in 1795From a watercolour drawing in the Council's collection.
42.No. 18, Spring Gardens: (a) Exterior in 1903; (b) Garden front(a) Photograph; (b) from watercolour drawing preserved at the Admiralty.
43.Spring Gardens: (a) South-west side in 1886; (b) Interior of No. 16 in 1903(a) From a watercolour drawing by J. P. Emslie preserved at the Admiralty; (b) Photograph.
44.Spring Gardens in 1903: (a) No. 28, first floor landing; (b) No. 30, front room on first floorPhotographs.
45.Spring Gardens in 1903: (a) Staircase to No. 16; (b) Nos. 34–28Photographs.
46.Buildings on west side of Spring Gardens: elevation and planFrom a drawing in the possession of H.M. Office of Works.
47.Staircase details from Spring GardensMeasured drawings.
48.Premises adjoining London County Council Offices, Spring GardensMeasured drawing.
49.(a) Berkeley House, garden front; (b) Wigley's rooms, Spring Gardens(a) From watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection; (b) from a print in the Council's collection.
50.Old County Hall, Spring Gardens: (a) Exterior in 1939; (b) Council chamber in 1890Photographs.
51.Offices of the London County Council, Spring Gardens, ground floor planFrom plan in the Council's collection.
52.(a) Offices of the Metropolitan Board of Works, principal floor; (b) Offices of the London County Council, first floor planFrom plans in the Council's collection.
53.Part of Kip's view of London and Westminster, 1710From the Council's collection.
54.Carlton House, entrance lodge from St. James's ParkFrom a watercolour drawing in the library at Windsor Castle.
55.Carlton House plans: (a) 1784; (b) 1794From plans in the library at Windsor Castle.
56.Carlton House, entrance from Pall Mall: (a) 1760; (b) 1790From drawings in the Crace collection at the British Museum.
57.Carlton House, garden front: (a) 1788; (b) 1794(a) From a watercolour drawing by W. Capon in the Westminster Public Library; (b) from an ink and wash drawing in the Crace Collection at the British Museum.
58.Carlton House, the grand staircaseFrom a wash drawing by Henry Holland in the library at Windsor Castle.
59.Carlton House, new front to Pall Mall erected by Holland(a) From an ink and wash drawing by Henry Holland; (b) from an aquatint (No. 6 in Ackermann's Repository), both in the Council's collection.
60.Carlton House, elevation to Pall Mall and detail of screen to courtyardFrom an ink and wash drawing in the library at Windsor Castle.
61.Carlton House, portico facing Pall MallFrom Pyne's History of Carlton House.
62.Plan of Carlton House in 1813From Pugin and Britton's Public Buildings of London.
63.Carlton House: (a) Entrance hall; (b) Crimson drawing roomFrom Pyne's History of Carlton House.
64.Carlton House, the conservatoryFrom Pyne's History of Carlton House.
65.Plan showing the disposition of the ground lately occupied by Carlton Palace and gardens, 1828From a plan in the possession of H.M. Commissioners of Crown Lands.
66.Nos. 19, 20 and 21, Carlton House TerraceFrom a plan in the Council's collection.
67.Carlton House Terrace in 1907. West block facing the MallPhotograph.
68.Carlton House Terrace in 1907. East block facing the MallPhotograph.
69.Carlton House Terrace, view behind colonnade: (a) at balcony level; (b) at terrace levelPhotographs.
70.Duke of York's column(a) From a drawing by J. Maxwell Scott, A.R.I.B.A.; (b) photograph.
71.Carlton House Terrace: (a) No. 4; (b) Corner of Carlton Gardens, looking eastPhotographs.
72.Carlton Gardens: (a) No. 1; (b) No. 2Photographs.
73.Carlton House Terrace: (a) No. 4, back room on ground floor; (b) No. 9, original balustrading to landing on first floorPhotographs.
74.No. 1, Carlton House Terrace: (a) Dining room on first floor; (b) Lounge on first floorPhotographs.
75.No. 1, Carlton House Terrace: (a) Entrance hall; (b) Staircase and hallPhotographs.
76.No. 4, Carlton Gardens, marble mantelpiece now at the Victoria and Albert MuseumPhotograph.
77.No. 7, Carlton House Terrace: (a) Original mantelpiece on second floor; (b) staircase and hallPhotographs.
78.John Nash's plan for the re-development of Pall Mall East, the Haymarket and Suffolk StreetFrom the Report from the Select Committee on Crown Leases, 1829.
79.Statue of George III, Pall Mall EastPhotograph.
80.(a) Pall Mall East; (b) College of Physicians in 1828(a) From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd; (b) from an engraving from a drawing by T. H. Shepherd, both in the Council's collection.
81.Suffolk Street, Royal Society of British ArtistsPhotograph.
82.Suffolk Street: (a) East side in 1829; (b) North side of Suffolk Place(a) From an engraving of a drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection; (b) photograph.
83.(a) South-west corner of Suffolk Street in 1911; (b) North-west corner of Suffolk Place in 1911Photographs.
84.Suffolk Street, northern endPhotograph.
85.The old Haymarket Theatre: (a) Exterior in 1803; Interior in 1807(a) From pencil drawing by W. Capon; (b) from engraving, both in the Council's collection.
86.The new Haymarket Theatre: (a) in 1826; (b) in 1939(a) From an engraving by Havell in the Council's collection; (b) photograph.
87.Interior of the Haymarket Theatre in 1821From an engraving by R. Wilkinson in the Council's collection.
88.(a) Suffolk Street front of the Haymarket Theatre; (b) No. 25, Haymarket in 1911Photographs.
89.The Haymarket: (a) No. 18 in 1911; (b) No. 34 in 1906Photographs.
90.No. 34, Haymarket, shop frontPhotograph.
91.No. 34, Haymarket, front of cast lead cisternPhotograph.
92.No. 34, Haymarket, mantelpiece in front room on first floorPhotograph.
93.No. 34, Haymarket, interior of shop: (a) Looking towards street; (b) Showing screenPhotographs.
94.(a) Cockspur Street showing entrance to Whitcomb Street, c. 1823; (b) Nos. 28 46, Whitcomb Street in 1886(a) From drawing by W. Capon in the Westminster Public Library; (b) from watercolour drawing by Calvert in the Council's collection.
95.Whitcomb Street: (a) the White Hart Inn in 1881; (b) No. 38, Johnson's Stable Yard, in 1886From watercolour drawings in the Council's collection.
96.(a) Nos. 14–18, Whitcomb Street; (b) and (c) Mantelpieces from No. 35, St. Martin's StreetPhotographs.
97.James Street (now Orange Street): (a) Tennis court; (b) Premises adjoining tennis courtFrom watercolour drawings by T. H. Shepherd in the Council's collection.
98.Orange Street Chapel: (a) Exterior in 1906; (b) Interior in 1913Photographs.
99.(a) Archbishop Tenison's Library and School in Castle Street, Leicester Square in 1850; (b) South side of Cecil Court in 1883(a) From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Crace Collection at the British Museum; (b) from a watercolour by J. P. Emslie in the Council's collection.
100.Hemmings Row: (a) Corner of Castle Street; (b) Looking towards Chandos Street in 1873(a) From a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Westminster Public Library; (b) from a watercolour drawing by F. Shepherd in the Council's collection.
101.Nos. 53–55, Castle StreetFrom a watercolour drawing by Appleton in the Council's collection.
102.Old Slaughter's Coffee House, St. Martin's LaneFrom a watercolour drawing by T. H. Shepherd in the Westminster Public Library.
103.St. Martin's Court in 1881: (a) Looking east; (b) Looking westFrom watercolour drawings by J. P. Emslie in the Council's collection.
104.No. 31, St. Martin's Lane, interior of front room on first floorMeasured drawing.
105.No. 31, St. Martin's Lane, interior detailsMeasured drawings.
106.(a) No. 31, St. Martin's Lane; (b) Little May's Buildings in 1872(a) Photograph; (b) from watercolour drawing by F. Shepherd in in the Council's collection.
107.St. Martin's Lane: (a) Elevation to Nos. 42, 43 and 44; (b) No. 43 in 1871(a) Measured drawing; (b) from a watercolour drawing by C. J. Richardson in the Council's collection.
108.(a) Goodwin's Court, St. Martin's Lane; (b) Langley Court, Long AcrePhotographs.
109.New Street: (a) Nos. 4 and 5; (b) No. 9Photographs.
110.Nos. 16–20, Long AcrePhotograph.