III.—No. 15 LINCOLN'S INN FIELDS.
Col. R. H. Beadon and Executors of the Rev. H. B. Wilder.
Description and date of structure.
The decorative features of the house would point to the period of
erection being a little earlier than the middle of the 18th century, probably
about 1742, which is the date on one of the lead cisterns. This theory
is strengthened by the fact that the ratebooks contain no mention of the
house between 1730 and 1742.
Objects of architectural interest on the exterior are a painted stone
doorway in the Ionic order, and a cast lead rain-water head (Plate 16).
The interior contains an interesting staircase with turned balusters
and carved brackets (Plate 16).
In the ground floor front room is a carved wooden mantelpiece
(Plate 17). Two female hermæ support the shelf and a head of Medusa
is the central feature of the frieze. The overmantel with pier glass is
enriched with floral carving, and a swag is suspended from the centre of
the frieze beneath a cornice and broken pediment.
The room also contains an ornamental plaster ceiling (Plate 18)
with a central medallion of modelled figures, a good cornice with modillions,
and a running ornamental frieze.
The back room on the same floor has also an ornamental plaster
ceiling (Plate 18) and a cornice of design similar to that in the front room.
An ornamental cast lead cistern (fn. 1) (Plate 16), with the legend F T
1752, is fixed in the basement kitchen. A second cistern, illustrated in
the same plate, is situated in the coal house and has obviously been reduced
to two-thirds of its original length. It bears the legend W C 742.
Condition of repair.
The house is in good repair.
The residents at No. 15, so far as we have record of them, were:—
|1667. (fn. 2) ||"Sir Henry Bellasis." (fn. 3) |
|1675. (fn. 2) ||"Maddam Willis."|
|1683. (fn. 2) ||Samuel Somerset.|
|1695. (fn. 2) ||Sir John Cooper.|
|1723.||Madame Martha Gamlyn.|
|1788–93.||Sir John Wilson.|
Of these the undermentioned call for special notice.
Sir William Watson, the son of a London tradesman, was born in St. John's
Street, in 1715. At the age of fifteen he was apprenticed to an apothecary, and in
1738 set up in business for himself. He had from his early youth displayed a keen
interest in science, and in 1741 was elected a fellow of the Royal Society, of which
he subsequently became vice-president. In 1745 he was awarded the Copley medal
for his researches in electricity, and subsequently became a trustee of the British
Museum. In 1757 he moved from Aldersgate Street to No. 15, Lincoln's Inn Fields,
and soon began to practise as a physician. From 1762 until his death he was physician
to the Foundling Hospital. In 1784 he was elected fellow, and in 1785 and 1786
censor of the Royal College of Physicians, and in the last-mentioned year was knighted.
He died at his house in Lincoln's Inn Fields on 10th May, 1787. His writings, giving
the results of original research in botany and electricity, are numerous and valuable.
In particular, his researches in electricity "were of so interesting a nature that they
gave him the undisputed lead in this branch of philosophy, and were the means not
only of raising him to a high degree of estimation at home, but of extending his fame
throughout Europe." (fn. 4)
On Watson's death the house was taken by "Mr. Justice Willson," who had
recently (November, 1786) been made justice of the common pleas and knighted.
Sir John Wilson was born in 1741 in Applethwaite, Westmoreland. He was called
to the Bar in 1766. During the vacancy as lord chancellor following Thurlow's
retirement in June, 1792, he was a commissioner of the great seal. He died at
Kendal in October, 1793.
Wilson was succeeded (after a short interval) in the occupation of No. 15 by
"Dr. Ainslie." It is almost certain that this was Henry Ainslie, (fn. 5) the son of a Kendal
physician. He was senior wrangler in 1781. He began to practise while still at
Cambridge, having obtained a licence ad practicandum from the University in 1787. (fn. 6)
In 1793 he settled in London and in 1795 was elected a fellow of the Royal College
of Physicians and physician to St. Thomas's Hospital. He delivered the Harveian
oration in 1802. He died in 1834. His residence at No. 15, Lincoln's Inn Fields
only lasted for two years, namely, 1796 and 1797.
In the Council's collection are—
Entrance doorway (photograph).
* Lead rain water head (drawing).
* Chimney piece, front room on ground floor (photograph).
* Ornamental ceiling, front room on first floor (photograph).
* Ornamental ceiling, back room on first floor (photograph).
* Carved stair bracket (measured drawing).
* Ornamental cast lead cisterns (2) (measured drawings).
No. 16, Lincoln's Inn Fields.
Plan of ground floor in 1792 (copy of drawing).
No. 24, Lincoln's Inn Fields.
Plan of ground floor in 1792 (copy of drawing).
No. 26, Lincoln's Inn Fields.
Front door case (photograph).